Low Carbing It- My Own Version, Not Atkins

pholter

The last time I cruised (October 2002), Carnival had taken steps on the Destiny Class ships at least to offer low fat and low sugar items on their menus and on the Lido Deck. My questions are to recent cruisers- has Carnival adopted a more low carb options menu/choices anywhere?? Yes, I realize all the things I can do personally to make something low carb, but I'm wondering if there menu choices have changed to accomodate the more and more folks switching to that lifestyle? More green veggies and less potatoes, rice, and pasta at dinner?

There are low carb pizza crusts, low carb tortillas for wraps, low carb bread, low carb dressings, etc. As of my last cruise, I was limited to only 1 flavor of Salad Dressing. I'd just like a few more choices.

If I completely "Carb Out" on my vacation, then I "Carb Out" for several months at a time when I return home :) I need to keep my limits in check even while cruising.

I do my own nutrition and have never read an Atkins Book, but I do low carb, low fat, low sodium, low sugar..... Sounds boring, but it's really not once you learn to be creative!

Thanks to everyone and Happy 4th of July! :):p

According to this press release from a few months ago, you will have quite a few low carb choices.:)

Specially Prepared Appetizer, Salad and Entrée Selections to List Carb Content

MIAMI (April 21, 2004) – In response to the explosive growth in popularity of low carb diets, Carnival Cruise Lines will begin rolling out specially designated low carb dining selections on dinner menus this week with a gradual fleetwide implementation over the next month.

“Whether consumers are following Atkins, South Beach, the Zone, or simply subscribing to the low carb philosophy, we want to make it as easy and convenient as possible to enjoy the pleasures of the Carnival dining experience,” said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

Dinner menus in the ships’ main dining rooms will feature an appetizer, salad and entrée with a low carbohydrate count. The number of carbohydrate grams per dish is listed beneath each low carb selection.

The designated low carb appetizer and entrée dishes on each evening’s menu are designed to complement each other. Primary ingredients focus heavily on vegetables, meat and fish blended with flavorful seasonings and creative preparation. The low carb dishes are included both within the overall list of menu selections for each course as well as in a special box on the opposite page labeled Low Carb Selection, which contains all low carb items from that evening’s menu.

The new low carb selections are being introduced on menus aboard the Carnival Victory this week with implementation throughout the balance of the company’s 20-ship fleet expected to occur over the next month.

“The low carb phenomenon has been building for years and has recently evolved to such an extraordinary degree that there is tremendous consumer demand for carb-conscious dining options and specific carb count information,” said Dickinson. “We are constantly striving to stay abreast of societal trends and provide our guests with choices that meet the needs of their individual lifestyles,” he added.

Sample low carb appetizer selections include: Vine Ripe Beefsteak Tomatoes and Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella - Marinated with Basil Leaves and Virgin Olive Oil -3 grams of carbs; Hickory Smoked Alaskan Salmon - Garnished with Purple Onion Rings, Fresh Dill and Baby Capers - 2 grams of carbs; Escargots Bourguignonne - Burgundy Snails in Garlic Butter with an Infusion of Chablis and Pernod - 5 grams of carbs; Gravlaks - Thinly Sliced Norwegian Fjord Salmon Cured with Dill and Brandy Presented with a Sour Cream Mustard Sauce - 5 grams of carbs

Sample low carb entrée selections include: Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Butter - Aged Center-Cut Beef Tenderloin, Grilled to Perfection with Green Beans - 8 grams of carbs; Pepper-Seared Supreme of Young Long Island Duckling - Marsala Infused Purple Onion Confit, Steamed Bok Choy and Sautéed Spinach - 6 grams of carbs; Tender Roasted Prime Rib of American Beef au Jus, Cooked to Perfection - Broccoli Roses and Grilled Tomato - 4 grams of carbs; Jerked Pork Loin - Slowly Roasted Center Cut Pork Loin, Marinated in Island Spices and Herbs Sautéed Savoy Cabbage with Bacon - 6 grams of carbs.

A reduced carbohydrate bread selection will be available each evening on request, as well.

Carnival lunch and dinner menus in the main dining rooms also feature Spa Carnival selections, which are lower in calories, sodium, cholesterol and fat. Designated items are accompanied by a listing of the number of calories and grams of fat contained within each selection.

Every Carnival “Fun Ship” also features a Spa Carnival health and fitness facility offering a wide array of fitness classes, exercise machines and free weights, along with a luxurious selection of body and facial treatments.

• 2 months later...

I've been pretty nervous about this, but sounds like Carnival's got me covered this trip...I was quite nervous about breaking the low carb thing, because as another poster said, it's hard to get back on after the cruise...

Now I don't have to break it!!! Woo Hoo!!! (Only 19 days until the Glory on 10/8).

Archived