Do we need fins on Bruno's snorkeling?

S&B

We are going with Bruno for his snorkeling and I was wondering if many of you took fins? We have the room in our carry-on. Is it easier with the fins and how much did you get to snorkel ?

Thanks for any suggestions. We are also going with Marc.

Yes I would take your fins. We did both these excursions and were very glad we brought our fins. Neither Bruno or Marc have gear to let you borrow as some of the tour operators you book thru Princess do. We tried to snorkle once without fins around our hotel and you can sure tell the difference - much more difficult. I would bring your fins with you when ever you snorkle.

ps- When we went with Bruno in May the water level where we drift snorkled was kinda low and a couple people scratched themselves so watch out :-)

Hi

I did this excursion a few years ago and will do it again in October. I didn't use fins the first time and couldn't imagine them being helpful to me but then I am not a very good swimmer. I did use reef shoes as protection for your feet is a must. Also necessary is your own mask and snorkle. I used gear provided on a Great Barrier Reef Cruise and leaking masks ruined the experience. It is well worth the extra $ to get a mask that fits you .

Cheers,

Andy

Yes nefsb we both brought complete sets of snorkle gear (had it anyways because we brought our own scuba gear as well) and saw everyone else with us on both trips had complete snorkle gear with them as well (snorkle, mask, fins).

Just did Bruno's tour and found the fins helpful at the stop where you eat lunch (the lagoonarium). He let's you swim/snorkel there which is actually quite good (eel's, lots of fish). When you do the drift snorkel, fins are not needed as the current takes you through and frankly if you wore fins, you would knock the beautiful coral. We bought booties and gloves from an online scuba merchant (less than $20 for each) which was an absolute must at the drift snorkel as it is shallow and you need to be able to push off from some of the coral so your body doesn't get scratched up. This is not to be missed and was a highlight for us. Spend the few bucks and get the gloves.

What a great one stop shopping site! The prices are great too!!;) Although I can already see I'll be buying more than just booties and gloves! I might even invest in that nice sounding underwater camera (for under $100!!!) Sure beats taking up luggage space w/disposables for $12 - $20 each :D

KTE

• 2 weeks later...
Just did Bruno's tour .... We bought booties and gloves from an online scuba merchant (less than $20 for each) which was an absolute must at the drift snorkel as it is shallow and you need to be able to push off from some of the coral so your body doesn't get scratched up.

Is it ethical to snorkel in an area so shallow??? From what I'm reading, you shouldn't be coming in contact with the coral at all.

http://www.coralreefalliance.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=68

• 3 weeks later...

Yes and no.

Yes on fins for snorkeling in the motu (the one where lunch is served).

No on fins for drift snorkeling. However, wear beach shoes and gloves for drift snorkeling over coral. It gets shallow.

Bruno's trip was a highlight of our trip.

I went to the scuba gear site (thank you!) but now I am confused....which boots do you recommend: the low or the high??

Has anyone tried their underwater camera? We tried an inexpensive "store" one and our pics were rather cloudy and didn't even come close to what we were actually viewing.

We leave in a couple of weeks, so I need to get ordering!!!:eek:

Thanks!

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

Take fins. My husband used his some of the time and regretted when he left them in the cabin.

He also was glad to have the gloves and the water shoes. Coral is sharp.

We bought 2 underwater cameras on the ATN flight for $10...they are more on the ship.

My suggestion is bring the fins on Bruno's excursion but wear water shoes for the coral garden. From other posts I believe that the fins will be a big asset at other stops on his tour.

I recently bought all kinds of snorkel equipment for MDW at sorkel-mart.com on line. The prices were pretty good, including a perscription mask, and delivery was excellent.

The water shoes we just bought for a few $ (under $10) at a local store like Walmart or something.

Camera - I hear that the Fuji camera is about the best of the disposable film cameras. I bought a digital Canon A520 and an underwater case on sale a few months ago in preperation for our upcoming cruise. So, I havn't actually used it yet but the digitals have lots of advantages. They cost more, but over the years, actually it is a lot cheaper IMO. It even has an automatic Underwater Setting. Word of warning (from other CCer's) is read the maintenace instructions in detail and make sure you put the silicon (provided) on the seal. And test it first prior to putting the camera into the case! Reading between the lines ... others didn't and flooded their new camera. :eek:

Have fun with Bruno, we are looking forward to his excursion with great anticipation.

DANofNorth

• 2 months later...

Having done Bruno's drift snorkel twice, i think fins would be more of a hindrance than help however reef shoes are a must. I didn't bother with gloves either time and had no problems. You will need to touch the coral in order to avoid running into it as the the coral garden is very dense and the water only about 4-5 feet deep. There is no reason to break the coral since a gentle touch is all that is needed to change directions. The only other snorkel opportunity on Bruno's tour is when you have lunch on a motu and the water is shallow enough there to not require fins. The same goes for Marc's drift snorkel on Huahine. In this case, the fins were not necessary but I did use them there as the water was much deeper and the channel much wider. There will be other tours on the other islands where having fins will be an advantage to you.

Cheers,

Andy

• 1 month later...

We have reserved tours with Marc and Bruno and are awaiting a reply from Sharkboy. We are planning on bringing our own mask and snorkel. I understand that fins aren't provided on these tours.

Question: Can we rent them on-board the TP? We have with other cruise lines. I hate to take up precious luggage space with bulky fins.

Thanks!

Travelingboski

WE just booked Bruno's for August and received the confirmation email from him. He is asking for $20 per person deposit, either check or through Paypal. Has anyone done the deposit this way - which works better or any problems?

Thanks

:) Thanks Candydane - I just did it and it was easy. I learn such great information and tips on CC - really makes for an enjoyable experience when you have done your homework about excursions and tips with hundreds of other people.

Thanks!

Archived