Carnival transfer to Whittier

Calyn2323

We are doing a land tour on our own before our Aug 30 cruise out of Whittier. We have Carnivals motorcoach transfer with Holland America. I was told we could take either shuttle form the airport or Egan Center to Whittier. We will be returning a car to Avis at the airport. Avis normally will transfer to departing flights, but we need to go to arriving flights, to catch the shuttle. Or should we return the car on Tues night and just take a cab from the hotel to the Egan Center on Wed morning? Has anyone done this? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks for any info.

Carolyn

HAL ships leave out of Seward, so how does their motorcoach get you to Whittier?

For options other than through the cruiseline - you could take the 10:00 a.m. train from Anchorage to Whittier (arrives 12:20 ) for $55 per person: http://www.alaskarailroad.com/arrc18.html#12

If you take the train in the morning, you would have time for a Prince William Sound cruise before your ship leaves Whittier at ~ 9 p.m.:

http://www.26glaciers.com/

http://www.princewilliamsound.com/580.cfm (Toursaver coupon for this cruise)

Another option is the 3.5-hour Alaskan Leopard shuttle for $49/pp (plus 10% fuel surcharge) from 2:15 - 5:45 p.m.: http://www.alaskanleopard.com/Tours/Whittier.htm

You get a nice little tour on the way to your ship.

FYI - you can return your rental car to the downtown Avis location - which would make taking the train or Alaskan Leopard shuttle easier.

Thanks for getting back to me with some alternatives. We already have the transfers so I will try to use them. I was just hopping to hear from someone who has done this. It would be great if I can return the car to the City location instead of the airport. I will have to call avis to make sure I can.

Thanks for the input.

Carolyn

Thanks for getting back to me with some alternatives. We already have the transfers so I will try to use them. I was just hopping to hear from someone who has done this. It would be great if I can return the car to the City location instead of the airport. I will have to call avis to make sure I can.

Thanks for the input.

Carolyn

I knew you had transfers arranged already, but didn't know if they were refundable if you changed your mind.

Thanks for the input.

Carolyn

I am sure that it won't be a problem to return the car to the city location rather than the airport. We did just the opposite - when signing the rental agreement downtown we asked to return the car to the airport.

NOTE - if you pick the car up downtown rather than at the airport you will probably save 10-20% since the taxes and fees at the airport are extremely high. Just a thought. We saved about $100 (paid $520 rather than over $600) by doing this. The fees are based on where you pick up the car. It doesn't matter where you return the car.

Archived