Quito and fear of heights

Green Apple

We are booked on a Celebrity Xpeditions to the Galapagos in 2007. Can anyone tell me what is on the Quito city tour in terms of heights. For example, driving on mountain roads where you can see wayyyyyyy down absolutely terrifies me. However, flying does not bother me. Too bad there is no way to get to the Galapagos without going to Quito (altitude and heights both!). Thanks.

As you probably realize Quito is one of the highest capital cities in the world and what we didn't realize is that often planes cannot land there as the city is surrounded by mountains and often a mist comes down and therefore the visibility becomes zero. We actually watched it descend from our hotel room on the first night we were there. The same mist can affect take offs and we were lucky that both our landings and takeoffs were in clear conditions. We were staying at the best hotel there which was the Swissotel.

We stayed there in February both before and after our trip to the Galapagos Islands. As we were coming from Cusco we didn't feel the altitude at all as Cusco is much higher. The city is not on any mountains and therefore touring around the old town is on relatively flat ground. There is not a huge amount to see.

We hired a private guide who took us to 4 churches plus the square and to the stature of Christ on the one of the mountains. To visit the churches we had to pay quite a large amount of U.S. dollars to see inside and we weren't allowed to take photos.

One of the churches had the richest treasures and gold of any church I have ever been in, and we have travelled widely throughout the world and been in all the major churches. In fact, I was shocked as the poverty in Ecuador is quite widespread and to see all this gold throughout the church upset me. We were told that a large amount of the church had caught fire a year or two ago and the State had paid for the refurbishment of the gold. The amount of money spent could have kept many families off the "breadline". There is no welfare in any of the South American countries and there are so many needy people.

One full day is really all you need in this city. The Galapagos are marvellous and not to be missed. Enjoy.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...
We are booked on a Celebrity Xpeditions to the Galapagos in 2007. Can anyone tell me what is on the Quito city tour in terms of heights. For example, driving on mountain roads where you can see wayyyyyyy down absolutely terrifies me. However, flying does not bother me. Too bad there is no way to get to the Galapagos without going to Quito (altitude and heights both!). Thanks.

We had no problem with driving on mountain roads in Quito for the city tour. The highways are paved nicely, I had an altitude problem at the Craters Restaurant because of the hill and steps. Once I got inside, I was fine. You will love this trip! Wish we could have spent more time at the Mercado the last day. They did not allow us enough time, so many neat things to buy from the Ecuadorian Indians. Dorothy & Morty:) :)

Archived