Shipshape and other diet food on board?

catharina

Hi!

I am sailing the Brilliance in March, so I have still some time to go and lose more weight then I already have before we go. But the idea of all those delights scare me a bit. I read about there being a shipshape menu? What is this (example?) and is it also on Brilliance? Is there on these ships any other diet food as well, like low fat desserts or something?

Furthermore I intend to walk stairs, go to the gym etc, but I also want to sample nice foods!

Carina

AFAIK, all the RCI ships, have ShipShape menus. I wouldn't call it "diet food." It is simply healthy(er) food, as compared to the normal offerings, which as you alluded to, seem to often be in the "excess" category.

I've found several menus on WebShots and other places where people put up photos from their trips. However, I've been warned that menus (especially for lunch) have radically changed in recent months, aboard all RCI ships, so keep that in mind if you go searching yourself.

What I've found is that standard dinner would be something like "Watermelon Gazpacho, Spinach Salad, Chicken Cordon Bleu (with ham and cheese, breaded, sauteed, with rice), and Marble Cheesecake," while ShipShape would be something like "Chicken Consomme Julienne, Spinach Salad, Fillet of Cod (herb-crusted and oven-baked, with low-fat garlic aioli, steamed potatoes, and vegetables), and Low-Fat Sour Cherry-Apricot Compote." Given that the definition of aioli include olive oil, I think we can assume that the adjective "low-fat" is used as a relative term. <grin>

On the NOS in June the ship-shape items were usually one of the regular entrees that was minus the heavy carb item like potatoes or breading. They included sides of steamed veggies or something of that sort. They also had low fat desserts or sugar free desserts to choose from. The ship shape items are marked on the menu with a little heart (I think). I ate several of them myself and enjoyed them alot. I didn't feel like I was depriving myself without the potatoes or pasta either.

Lynn

This is wonderful, I lost 18 lbs so far & would like to keep it off if I could. My husband & I plan on using the treadmill in the gym. Last year we were on the RCL Mariner of the Seas, they had a lighter menu which was pretty good. I'm not focusing on the food aspect of this cruise, just being away & having a great time is what counts for us.

Archived