Mt. Roberts Tram- worth it

abelbh1

We are doing a Mendahall Glacier Trek when we get to Juneau an get back from that at around 7:30. We then have like 2-3 more hours in Juneau. Is it worth paying the $25.00 each to go up for only about an hour and a half. I know part of going up is getting to see the beautiful view and it might be on the dark side by the time we get up there. Any thoughts?

Almost anything you will do in Alaska will be expensive. We went up several weeks ago for about an hour and a half. The view is great and there is a beautiful and easy hiking trail that is worth the trip. However, all this is only true if the weather is clear.

I agree with the other posts, only do it if the weather is coooperating. It was a beautiful day when we were there last month, so we got some great pictures from up there. We even got a picture of some snow left up there. I am trying to geet a photo thing put together for people to see. I did get some good shots, especially one of our ship, the Sapphire Princess!!! There was a little fog by the next mountain where all of the waterfalls are, and it added to the pictures.:)

This is something we are hoping to do in September on our Coral Princess cruise. We've already decided that we'll go up if the weather is clear. I think that if that is the case, the tram will be worth every penny.

Taters

We visited Juneau on a gloomy, misty day this year (sunny day for us last year) and still found the tram to be worthwhile. There was still snow on the path above the store, and we enjoyed every minute of hiking through some of it!

The clouds and drizzle just add a touch of mystery to Alaska... it's all good!

Even with clouds and overcast, I have some great pictures of our ship and of Juneau-Douglas, and of friends and family tromping through the snow.:)

I think 2 hours or so will be plenty of time, although I could've stayed all day. Definitely plenty of light even after 7pm.

We returned from Juneau in June, and took the Mt Roberts Tramway. My only suggestion is to be careful how much time you are allowing yourself. We only allowed ourselves about 1 1/2 hours before our ship sailed, got to the top and found out there was a 45 min wait to get back down. I was so nervous that we wouldn't get down in time to get to the ship that I was a nervous wreck the whole time we were up there. As it happened, by the time we were leaving, the wait to get down was about 25 min, so we had plenty of time, but I wish we had done it earlier and I would have enjoyed it much more.

Archived