US currency in Canada

You will be better off exchanging US dollars for Canadian dollars because there is an exchange rate difference in their values (US dollars at this point are still worth more). If you paid in US dollars for items priced in Canadian dollars you would be paying too much.

We went to a bank in the first Canadian port on our Maasdam cruise and exchanged money that lasted until we got to Montreal where we used an ATM.

Have a great next cruise.

The Credit Card company you use will convert the USD to CND on your bill. The exchange rates often change daily, even hourly, so the exchange rate will be based upon the precise exchange rate on that day.

The USD is worth more than the CDN, although the gap is slowly closing, so your USD will buy you more in Halifax!:D

Tom &Deb:)

Hi, ok, if you are american and using your credit card in Canada, they will convert the canadian amount to US$ and bill you in US$. They will charge you a conversion fee. I can't tell you how much that fee is, you could try to call the credit card company you deal with and ask them how much their "fees are". They will probably give it to you for the "day" you are asking about since the exchange rate fluctuates, but you can compare that with the "same day" currency exchange rate. Generally credit cards give a less favorable exchange rate than "cash excahnge" I've found as we are in the reverse (US being converted to CDN). Also please note that to the best of my knowledge not all credit cards use the same "rate of exchange".

The exchange rate will be on the day of the purchase. It does fluctuate during the course of a day.

Everyone chaning in money gets a commission, banks, money changers , credit cards, everyone, it's just about how much commission they charge.

Here in Montreal, the money changers (like stores that change money - cash) usually give a bit of a better rate than the banks. If you are going to change in large amount (I believe over $600) you will need a picture ID to the best of my knowledge.

Credit card companies, generally bill you in the currency of the card. i.e., if we use our credit card in the states, the US$ amount gets converted to CDN$ and we get the bill in $CDN since ours card is a canadian card. They generally charge a bit more commission that a "cash exchange"

I just got the credit card bills from my week in Halifax and the fees for a week's worth of ATM advances (why carry a lot of cash) was about $1.50. The credit card I used seemed to charge a few cents a transaction. Nothing like I had feared after hearing years of discussion over foreign currency exchange fees.

Archived