Average Age of Amadeus Passengers

mcintyre9454

My husband and myself (45 yrs old) took a WONDERFUL Peter Deilmann River Cruise last October on the MS Frederic Chopin from Berlin to Prague. Absolutely LOVED it! However, I think we were the youngest passengers on board. Actually, I didn't mind it at all as the "more experienced" passengers were so wonderful and had such great stories to share about their lives and travels. I am currently thinking about taking my 20 year old daughter on the MS Amalegro's Europe's Heartland Cruise next June. However, I was wondering what the age of the clientele was on the Amadeus line. Is it the same as Deilmann? I just don't want my daughter feeling completely out of place due to her age. Any insights anyone can share about the Amadeus line and average age of passengers? Thank you in advance.

My husband and myself (45 yrs old) took a WONDERFUL Peter Deilmann River Cruise last October on the MS Frederic Chopin from Berlin to Prague. Absolutely LOVED it! However, I think we were the youngest passengers on board. Actually, I didn't mind it at all as the "more experienced" passengers were so wonderful and had such great stories to share about their lives and travels. I am currently thinking about taking my 20 year old daughter on the MS Amalegro's Europe's Heartland Cruise next June. However, I was wondering what the age of the clientele was on the Amadeus line. Is it the same as Deilmann? I just don't want my daughter feeling completely out of place due to her age. Any insights anyone can share about the Amadeus line and average age of passengers? Thank you in advance.

I just dont think any river cruises today are attracting to many young adults. On our recent Amadeus cruise down the Danube, the ave. age was well into the 60's. Just my opinion but I think a 20 year old would feel out of place on these cruises.

The average age on a river cruise is 55+. That´s the same with all river cruise companies. On our cruise on the MS Mozart there were two families with small children (3, 5 and 6 years old, the 6 years old is our DD). There were also some let´s say 40- aboard. It depends on the itinerary and the time of the year especially with Deilmann as Germans do have more time off work than you in the US. I don´t think that a 20 year old would feel completely out of place. Let´s say that depends on the 20 year old. If you´re aware that there might be only elder people and noone in your age you won´t be disappointed. If you like to go on city tours and experience the history and culture of a foreign country you´ll be happy to do a river cruise. If you expect big party nights than you better stay home. I´ve never been the party type of girl and I truly enjoyed the bus trips to Rome and Florence with my parents and a "bunch of old people" when I was in the age of your daughter. Tell her about what to expect and ask her if she can cope with that!

steamboats

If you like to go on city tours and experience the history and culture of a foreign country you´ll be happy to do a river cruise. If you expect big party nights than you better stay home.

steamboats

I've talked to her and explained the potential situation to her, and she seems just fine with it. She said "I hope I hear lots of wonderful stories from some of the passengers". Her goal is to experience the culture of a foreign country and not to particdipate in big party nights. Since Deilman was my first riverboat cruise...I just wasn't sure if the older age was the norm or the demographic of Deilman cruises. I honestly think she'll be just fine and have a wonderful time vacationing from Paris to Prague.....who wouldn't??? :)

The average age on a river cruise is 55+. That´s the same with all river cruise companies. On our cruise on the MS Mozart there were two families with small children (3, 5 and 6 years old, the 6 years old is our DD).

steamboats

Steamboats,

We're thinking about a European river cruise with our soon-to-be 11-year-old son. He, like his parents, are history buffs and we figured a river cruise would be a great way to see many places in Europe without having to keep packing. We're not overly concerned about being the youngest ones on the cruise. We're just trying to figure out how to get three passengers in one cabin. When you went with your DD, did you have to get two cabins? Thanks!!

Frederick

fsdorado,

We usually book a triple. As you don´t spend much time in your cabin that´s o.k.. But ... especially on European river cruises there are not many boats offering triples. As far as I remember I haven´t seen anything about triples regarding the major US companies like Avalon, Amadeus, Uniworld (but I might be wrong). Sometimes it´s really hard to find out if they have one. Viking does have triples but not on every boat. It´s the same with Deilmann. We were originally booked on the Danube Princess (which is retireing by the end of the season) in an outside triple. As our trip was cancelled we had to rebook on the Mozart. The cabins on the Mozart are really large (215 sqm) but they only have inside triples. We were rebooked on two outside doubles. The Mozart does have two adjoining cabins where you can open the door inbetween. You will find this configuration on several boats of the US companies mentioned above. As for triples there is one problem with those cabins: generally those are the last ones in the bow or stern area where you also might hear the thrusters while locking or landing. And if they are in the stern area there might be engine noises and more vibration there.

We have a pre-reservation for the Deilmann Dresden for next June. The cabins on the Dresden only have 129 sqm and of course the two triples are the last ones to the stern. I forgot: Usually you do have two single beds and the third one is a pulmann bed folding out of the wall.

Some cruise companies do give a discount for kids travelling in the cabin with two full paying adults. So it´s also a question of the money you´re able or willing to spend. With two cabins you usually have to pay one single supplement.

As I said before, it can be done, we have done it. DD was on 9 river cruises with us (mainly in the US) starting at the age of 18 months (now 6 years old).

Check the deckplans of the river cruise ships if they do offer triples. Check if they have discounts for kids.

You also have to be aware that river cruises are not made to suit families. There is no kids´ program. On most river cruise ships you might find some board games / cards in the library. Some do have in-room DVD players and might also have some kids´ DVDs (if you want to bring your own check in advance what kind of TV system is installed. If it´s European standard your DVDs won´t work because of the different country code). Just be sure to pack some "entertainment" for your son.

steamboats

Some companies do not allow younger children. Viking River requires that anyone under 18 must be accompanied by and share a cabin with a parent, legal guardian or person responsible over 21, they do not accept children under 12, and that they have the right to limit those on board between 12-18 years of age.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pdf/termsandconditions.pdf

Some companies do not allow younger children. Viking River requires that anyone under 18 must be accompanied by and share a cabin with a parent, legal guardian or person responsible over 21, they do not accept children under 12, and that they have the right to limit those on board between 12-18 years of age.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pdf/termsandconditions.pdf

We just returned 2 nights ago from Amadeus Symphony cruise from Nuremburg to Budapest. We took our 2 teen daughters (ages 14 & 16). We hoped for the best and prepared for the worst------they brought plenty of books and IPODS etc. Our cruise departed July 23 and we were very surprised and happy to find a few young people on board. My husband and myself were the youngest couple (50) however my daughters hung out with 5 other kids ranging in age from 17-22. Even though there was a big age span they all bonded because they were the only "kids" on board. They actually had a great time. I think if you book end of June through end of July there might be a good chance of young people.

I took my son on a Viking river cruise when he was 17 and on a Peter Deilmann river cruise when he was 18. He enjoyed both cruises.

On the Viking cruise, which had open seating in the dining room, a number of the other passengers vied for the privilege of eating with us (well, with him, anyway), just because he was a novelty and they enjoyed talking to someone who didn't have grey hair or no hair.

On the Deilmann cruise, some of the younger dining-room staff took my son ashore to a nightclub that was frequented by crew members from river vessels, which he found flattering.

I guess it depends on the kid, but I don't see any reason for not taking a young person along on a river cruise, unless the kid is a fan of the pop song from a few years ago that went "Kill all the old people and put 'em in a pot."

WarEagle76,

This is really interesting as in the German Viking brochure there aren´t any restrictions like that. No word about children (but also no word about any kind of discount). The only thing I can think of is some kind of liability reason (not German law, must be US law) or that they simply don´t want their 55+ passengers disturbed by kids.

I´ve never seen any restrictions like that on German based cruise companies. No problem with Deilmann at all (and a discount). There are even some cruise companies focusing on a younger crowd with mainly triples and quads also offering more sports as shore tours (A´Rosa).

steamboats

steamboats, same restrictions applied on Viking River for the China trip we took last year. Leave tomorrow for Russia (Viking Surkov) and can't wait. Looks like it is much cooler over there than what we're all dealing with here and the change in weather will be an added bonus to the itinerary and sights.

Sorry for the double post yesterday, computer issues!:eek:

BJS,

I´ve read that information (wareagle had posted the link before). I have serached the German website of Viking and I do have the German printed brochure. Both do not mention any restrictions regarding the age of kids. But Viking is operating different boats for English and German speaking customers (except for China). So that´s really interesting that they do have restrictions on the US website but not on the German website.

By the way obviously Uniworld does not have any problems with children:

http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/533601132/m/8131014032

steamboats

So that´s really interesting that they do have restrictions on the US website but not on the German website.

I agree it is interesting that restrictions are only targeted for English speaking customers. I wonder why that is? Maybe they are targeting the USA "senior" market here and many, many "seniors" are not tolerant of younger children.

Or could it be that this market expects the type of activites, to entertaint the children, that are found on ocean cruise lines?

BLS,

I bet the latter! We started cruising with our DD when she was 18 months old. We never feeled more welcomed than on US river cruise ships with senior travellers. Everyone came up and talked to us saying my grandson/daughter is just at her age... And she never found so many new grandparents. Sure you have to tell the kids how to behave and explain them that they should take care of the senior passengers as they might fall and aren´t able to walk and jump like a kid. And especially on river cruises you usually have a stop every day where you can explore the town and find something attractive for kids. So you don´t really need any special onboard entertainment. And you can take some crayolas, coloring books, games or a MP3-player with the kid´s favourite stories with you for onboard entertainment.

steamboats

Hi all,

I just received the GERMAN brochure of Viking for 2007. In the terms there is a discount for kids. Kids up 3 years old travel free (except China and Egypt) and 4 to 13 years half price. In July and August up to 2 kids (up to 13 years of age) travel free with one full paying adult in one cabin (not valid for China and Egypt and packages for travelling to/from the boat and other extras). So obviously on the German speaking boats of Viking kids are welcome!

steamboats

Archived