Catholic Mass on Navigator?

We had mass by a Catholic priest on the Vision last month. He was a passenger. In fact he had mass a couple times during the week if you wanted to go.

This came up on a thread about Christian services on board. RCI does not have any regular chaplains for services. If there are Protestant clergy on board, they may volunteer to take a non-denominational service. Same for a rabbi. Catholic priests are generally brought on from a port, but if they can't get a priest there won't be services. On our cruise there was Catholic mass in the second week - I'm guessing because they got a priest to come on in Madeira or Lisbon for that part of the cruise.

Some cruise lines do take on chaplains on a contract - NCL for instance. Others take volunteer chaplains at a small fee. I notice Freedom of the Seas has a chapel, so maybe they're taking more notice of the value of having services avilable.

Fran in Toronto

We had mass by a Catholic priest on the Vision last month. He was a passenger. In fact he had mass a couple times during the week if you wanted to go.

How did you find out there was a Mass? Was it announced? Priests have to say Mass everyday and I'm sure if there is a priest on board that he wouldn't have a problem saying it for a the, er, masses. (Sorry about the pun.)

Michele

This came up on a thread about Christian services on board. RCI does not have any regular chaplains for services. If there are Protestant clergy on board, they may volunteer to take a non-denominational service. Same for a rabbi. Catholic priests are generally brought on from a port, but if they can't get a priest there won't be services. On our cruise there was Catholic mass in the second week - I'm guessing because they got a priest to come on in Madeira or Lisbon for that part of the cruise.

Some cruise lines do take on chaplains on a contract - NCL for instance. Others take volunteer chaplains at a small fee. I notice Freedom of the Seas has a chapel, so maybe they're taking more notice of the value of having services avilable.

Fran in Toronto

Our nondemominationl service was performed by a member of the cruise director's staff.

Michele - Mass is announced in the Compass. As for mass every day, I'm not exactly sure. Priests aren't required to say Mass every day, though it is encouraged. One of the priests who used to be at my parish just got back from a cruise, I'll ask what he did.

On every Celebrity and RCI cruise we have taken there was a Catholic priest. I can't recall exactly but I think most of the time there was daily mass. I do know there was at least Sat eve or Sunday morning services which usually did not conflict with dinner or other activities. Sometimes the priest will also do renewal of vows or a healing service. The service will be listed in the daily bulletin. Some passengers will assist with readings or as eucharistic ministers.

Archived