Alcohol in ports. bringing on ship

navywife06

Guest YesitDonna

I saw lots of people get stopped... they tried to hide it... wrapped intowels and such but lets face it.. security does this all day every day and if they want to catch you they WILL.

Hit and miss. The first cruise we went on, they took it as soon as we got back onboard. We had a box of 4 bottles, kinda hard to hide that. They just put our name and room number on it. It was delivered the last nightof the cruise. The last three I purchased only 1 bottle at a time. Did not hide it, just left it wrapped inthe brown bag, walked on with it inmy backpack, went straight to the room.

You are supposed to check it when you board, and this process is facilitated by security who will point you to the alcohol check table. The table/security staff are sometimes really busy ....

SilentBob, This is a really true statement. We were re-boarding the ship from San Juan and I put my bag through the scanner and the guy who was supposed to be looking at the screen had his head turned away and was talking to somebody and it got onboard.

BUT, as YesitDonna stated, if they want to catch you, they will. Like she said, they do this EVERYDAY!!!

You have to take your chances. Your best bet is to take large bottled waters with you as you leave the ship and transfer the liquor into these bottles.

We were on a cruise last winter on the Legend and were in port when on of the crew members we had talked too several times on the ship came up to us. We were having a local refreshment when he told us that we could take two six packs of beer on board and no one would say anything. I am a naturally born skeptic and thought what the heck I'll contribute to the crew party. I bought the beer left it in the bag and sent it through the scanner, in fact the bag tipped over at the exit and a few cans rolled down the table. The security person did not even blink and helped put the beer back into the bag. I did the same thing at the remaining port of call with no problem. I don't know if was just the Legend's staff that allowed this or not but I told other cruisers after the first time and everyone you bought beer brought it on with no problem.

I also did not have a problem bringing beer on board. When we were on the Glory and were in St. Marten I bought a six pack of beer to bring back home for a neighbor. When we got on the ship I just brought the beer to the table where they were collecting the alcohol and I was told you do not have to turn in beer.

In San Juan, we just loaded up our carryons at the store at the pier. Nobody said a word.

In Ocho Rios, I purchased liquor. The sign on the cash register said they would deliver it to the ship. The clerk asked me if I was a cruise ship passenger. I said yes.....she just handed me my purchase. Security on the ship looked through my bag and didn't say anything.

On our first cruise I did actually approach the table where you're supposed to turn stuff in. I got a look from the staff member there that seemed like "You're not really going to make me lug that back to storage and then lug it to your room are you? Please nooooooo!!!!"

With the exception of when we carried on like 8 bottles in St Martin, they have NEVER had us turn it in.

Isnt it a "silent"agreement that in San Juan, booze purchased at the liquer store in the terminal can be brought onbaord if it is put in your carryon??

Yes. In my two Carnival cruises out of San Juan, this was the case. I will be making a port of call there on Elation in September and will find out if this is still true.

SilentBob, This is a really true statement. We were re-boarding the ship from San Juan and I put my bag through the scanner and the guy who was supposed to be looking at the screen had his head turned away and was talking to somebody and it got onboard.

BUT, as YesitDonna stated, if they want to catch you, they will. Like she said, they do this EVERYDAY!!!

You have to take your chances. Your best bet is to take large bottled waters with you as you leave the ship and transfer the liquor into these bottles.

So, you CAN check the alcohol onboard? if that really is possible then why try to put it in your luggage? Is there any difference getting alcohol on from the port you leave from and the ports in the bahamas?

Yes we got on with our box of booze. We bought alcohol in St. Marteen last year, the store put it the typical liquor box with the handle, and we walked right back on the ship with it in clear view (because I actually forgot I was carrying it) and we didn't even realize we got away with it until we got back to our cabin and I still was holding the box (yes, we did have a few Guavaberry coladas before getting back on the ship):) This was on the Glory.

Archived