Helsinki Question For Tero

Guest LetMeGo
Tero, where is Erottaja? Is this also in the West harbor/ Hernesaari as well? Thanks.:)

It's the figurative centerpoint of the city, as well as the name of the bus/tram stop closest to it. It's located about 1.5 miles from Hernesaari.

karttafabian.jpg

It's located at the end of the main street of Helsinki (Mannerheimintie), right next to the Swedish Theatre at the corner of Pohjoisesplanadi and Mannerheimintie.

(It's also known as the erottaja, separator, because it separates four different parts of the city in one point. I just found out that five minutes ago. :D )

Tero, I just got back from my cruise and LOVED LOVED LOVED our day in Helsinki (24 August). The weather was gorgeous, and we were able to see a good number of buildings downtown (and also the Temppeliaukio Rock Church - I was concerned it would be closed for services). We also took the trek out to Hvittrask, and I'm so glad we did!

Thank you so much for being a wealth of information and a true ambassador for Helsinki. Do you know how sometimes a city just "clicks" with you when you visit it? Helsinki was a big click for me, and I'd love to go back there one day.

The offer still stands - anytime you need info about New York, I'm here. :)

Guest LetMeGo
Tero, I just got back from my cruise and LOVED LOVED LOVED our day in Helsinki (24 August). The weather was gorgeous, and we were able to see a good number of buildings downtown (and also the Temppeliaukio Rock Church - I was concerned it would be closed for services). We also took the trek out to Hvittrask, and I'm so glad we did!

Thank you so much for being a wealth of information and a true ambassador for Helsinki. Do you know how sometimes a city just "clicks" with you when you visit it? Helsinki was a big click for me, and I'd love to go back there one day.

The offer still stands - anytime you need info about New York, I'm here. :)

I'm glad you had such a positive experience. :)

Since I have't been to Hvitträsk myself, I'd like to know how was it actually? Did you go with public transport or taxi? What was the inside (the museum) of the building like? And how did it compare to the buildings in central Helsinki? Did the nature make it seem even more unique?

I know indeed what you mean, and I've had similar experiences myself... I loved London, and three months later Dublin didn't do much for. And just last year I was on a trip tp Amsterdam, Antwerp, Brussels and Brugge, and really enjoyed only Brussels.

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I'm planning my journey some day. :D

I'm glad you had such a positive experience. :)

Since I have't been to Hvitträsk myself, I'd like to know how was it actually? Did you go with public transport or taxi? What was the inside (the museum) of the building like? And how did it compare to the buildings in central Helsinki? Did the nature make it seem even more unique?

I thought Hvitträsk was very aesthetically beautiful, from the natural setting to the house structure to the interior decorations. What struck me the most was the amount of detail paid to every room, window, staircase, piece of furniture..etc. (For example, beautiful tapestries draped from the couches to the floor so that people could wrap themselves in them for warmth.)

The central Helsinki buildings were different in that they were much more commercial (larger elements, more substantial building materials), whereas Hvitträsk gave a sense of being a very livable, comfortable home despite its intricate, complex design details. The natural setting definitely made it more special and timeless. The namesake lake is a must see, too.

We ended up taking an RCI excursion there instead of going on our own, as I was concerned about the train schedules. As a bonus we also passed by the Institute of Technology (?) on the way back and saw the Alvar Aalto designed brick buildings. (One of the dormitories at the university I attended here in the States was designed by him, and I could definitely see the similarities!)

It was a very cool trip - once I get more settled I'll post pictures too!

Guest LetMeGo

Thank you for the information. I'm looking forward to the pictures. :)

I actually work practically next door to the University of Technology in Otaniemi... You didn't happen to pass by a water tower, did you? :D

Have truly enjoyed reading this thread since we'll be visiting Helsinki.

Tero, it is so kind of you to answer everyone's questions. It definitely helps in planning out a day of touring.

I was wondering.... we'll be on the Constellation, would it be better for us to take the 3T tram and tour the main sights first since we arrive at 8am or take the ferry to Suomenlinna Island first? Where has the Constellation been docking? I know the tourist ticket includes the bus and tram costs but does it still include the cost of the ferry to the island?

Guest LetMeGo
Have truly enjoyed reading this thread since we'll be visiting Helsinki.

Tero, it is so kind of you to answer everyone's questions. It definitely helps in planning out a day of touring.

I was wondering.... we'll be on the Constellation, would it be better for us to take the 3T tram and tour the main sights first since we arrive at 8am or take the ferry to Suomenlinna Island first? Where has the Constellation been docking? I know the tourist ticket includes the bus and tram costs but does it still include the cost of the ferry to the island?

Thanks. :)

I'm more than happy to answer questions whenever I have some time off at work. :D

The Constellation has been docking at Hernesaari along with all the other larger cruise ships. Arriving at 8am some of the sights won't be open for a while... E.g. I think the rock church opens at 10am. :confused: If you want to just ride the tram around for an hour and then see the individual sights later, or look at the outsides of the buildings that would be best to do in the morning... There aren't many people, and it's not too warm to sit inside in the tram. (The older trams have no AC in them, while the newer ones are too cold. :eek: )

The Suomenlinna islands would be best to visit in the afternoon when the weather is a bit warmer, as the winds from the sea can be a little chilly. And you can use the same 6€ ticket you buy from the bus. :D

Guest LetMeGo
Tero,

Just noticed that we'll be visiting on a Sunday. Will this make any difference in regards to the stores being open or certain sights...like theTemppeliaukio Rock Church?

Hi

In the summer (between May 2nd and August 31st) all the shops in Helsinki are allowed to be open on Sundays as well, and you can expect all the larger stores as well as the tourist stores to use that opportunity. Also all the grocery stores are open, and there will be more salesmen at the market square (if that's possible!).

Most of the sights and museums in Helsinki area will be open on Sundays as well, but might close a few hours earlier... Usually around 4-6pm, so it doesn't really matter for cruise tourists. The churches will be open for tourists after the services (which usually are held between 10am-noon).

The public transport will be a bit sparser on Sundays, but for tourists that means that the #3 tram has an interval of 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes. :D

Tero, thank you so much for all the valuable information. Glad to know we'll still get to experience everything even though we're visiting on Sunday. Think we'll visit the Sibelius monument first and by that time the other places should be open. Should we just take bus 14B from the port or go into town and take the 3T? Can I buy the tourist ticket from the driver on the bus? After that do we just get back on the 3T to go to the Rock Church? We'll also want to go back to the city center to take the ferry over to Suomenlinna.

I really appreciate your help. It makes planning this trip so much easier.

Guest LetMeGo

You're welcome. :)

Yes, you can buy the 24h ticket from the bus or tram driver for the same price as from the tourist office... The drivers will only print you a receipt which you have to carry around all day, while the office sells chip cards.

Your visit being on a Sunday does make things a bit difficult, I have to say... I wasn't expecting it. :D Since the rock church will be closed from tourists until noon because of the service, I think you might after all be better off starting from Suomenlinna. :confused: If you take the #16 bus from the port to senate square, you can have a look around the Imperial Helsinki (from the Russian era in the 19th century), visit the Lutheran cathedral afer 9am (before the service at 10), and then head out to Suomenlinna... By the time you get back from there around noon, all the sights and stores would be open for the rest of the day. (Except the Orthodox cathedral which is open until around 3pm only)

It's a good thing you weren't asking this information on the day before your arrival.;)

Tero, sounds like a good plan.... going to Suomenlinna first and then touring around the city. Glad to hear the Rock Church will be open around noon.

Yes, I like to plan early and keep a file to print my notes out as we get closer. Makes the trip so much more enjoyable when you're not stressed or rushed.

Thanks again and I'm sure they'll be other questions down the road.;)

Guest LetMeGo
Tero, sounds like a good plan.... going to Suomenlinna first and then touring around the city. Glad to hear the Rock Church will be open around noon.

Yes, I like to plan early and keep a file to print my notes out as we get closer. Makes the trip so much more enjoyable when you're not stressed or rushed.

Thanks again and I'm sure they'll be other questions down the road.;)

I know something about pre-planning myself... For my last trip of four days abroad I spent at least a hundred hours (spread over a month or so) browsing the internet for maps, timetables, opening hours, recommendations and pictures... After I had read the tourist guides for a few months.

Then I wrote down walking routes and a dozen versions of a timetable so I could cram in all the sights I wanted to see in the least time and least backtracking. :D

It's easier on the trip, but it definitely does take some effort before you go.:cool:

I'll be happy to (at least try to) answer any questions you have. :)

Tero,

Thank you so much for all your help so far and I'm sure the more I research the more questions I'll have.:)

I figure Suomenlinna Island will take a few hours (we should be back by noon) and then touring the city a few more (probably until around 3PM) but we have until 6PM so we may be able to get to the Folk Museum. Is Seurasaari Open-Air Folk Museum worth a trip if we have time?

Guest LetMeGo
Tero,

Thank you so much for all your help so far and I'm sure the more I research the more questions I'll have.:)

I figure Suomenlinna Island will take a few hours (we should be back by noon) and then touring the city a few more (probably until around 3PM) but we have until 6PM so we may be able to get to the Folk Museum. Is Seurasaari Open-Air Folk Museum worth a trip if we have time?

I'm looking forward to your questions. :D

Yea, I'd say the minimum time for Suomenlinna is about two hours... The ferry ride is 15 minutes in one direction and alone takes up almost an hour, but at least you get some good photos of the Market square from the sea. ;) Besides being a popular tourist site, Suomenlinna is also a site where most of the local schools have field trips in May...

If you plan your route of seeing the other sites leading away from the city centre, you could go from the Sibelius monument to Seurasaari with the bus #24 in just a few minutes after 3pm. Whether it's something worth seeing is entirely up to you. :D Basically it's a collection of thirty-something 17th -19th century country houses, huts, boat shacks and the likes from all around Finland, some of which can be visited on the inside as well... (There are also some semi-tamed squirrels which will eat bread from your hand, and flocks of seagulls and swans begging for food as you enter the island.) You would certainly gain an insight into the rural Finnish life in the 19th century, but not many tourists actually want that. :p

Tero,

Seurasaari may be something to consider if we have time at the end of our day. Hopefully the weather will co-operate:) . I do know I want to see the main sights so it looks like we'll be taking the 3T and buying the tourist ticket. Not sure yet if we want to take the bus #16 into town from the port or just grab a taxi since we're four people. How long a ride is it by bus from the port into town? Where do we pick up the #16 bus, is it right outside the port? I know from reading the prior threads we have to flag down the bus but is there a bus stop sign so we'll atleast wait in the right place?

You are so thoughtful to help us all out. I can't wait to visit.

Guest LetMeGo
Tero,

Seurasaari may be something to consider if we have time at the end of our day. Hopefully the weather will co-operate:) . I do know I want to see the main sights so it looks like we'll be taking the 3T and buying the tourist ticket. Not sure yet if we want to take the bus #16 into town from the port or just grab a taxi since we're four people. How long a ride is it by bus from the port into town? Where do we pick up the #16 bus, is it right outside the port? I know from reading the prior threads we have to flag down the bus but is there a bus stop sign so we'll atleast wait in the right place?

You are so thoughtful to help us all out. I can't wait to visit.

It's a good plan... If you circle the city with the tram line and e.g finish the tour at the Sibelius monument, you can take either the bus #14B back to the ship or #24 to Seurasaari depending on how much time you have left.

If you had a look at the map I posted earlier, I had marked the bus routes from Hernesaari to the Swedish theatre. The darker blue line is the shuttle bus, and the lighter blue is the local bus #16... Both of the local buses (14B and 16) will leave from the same stop which looks a bit like this one:

JCDecauxin_bussipys%C3%A4kki.jpg

(At least it's green and has a similar white/yellow sign with the line numbers. :D ) You don't actually have to flag for the bus at the Hernesaari stop (or signal that you want to get off), as it's first and fnal stop of the lines. The 2 mile journey takes 11 minutes according to the journey planner, and you can expect it to be 15-20 minutes at the most during rush hours.

A taxi journey for the 2 miles would cost around 12€ I think, and that can be paid by credit card as well as cash.

Tero, I wanted to ask you something - hopefully it is not offensive in any way. How did Finns regard the whole Conan O'Brien resembling President Halonen story? It says on Wikipedia that his show airs on a cable channel in Finland so I'm curious if people found it offensive, mildly amusing, or don't care?

Here's the wikipedia entry: (!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Night_with_Conan_O%27Brien#Tarja_Halonen_and_Finland

Guest LetMeGo
Tero, I wanted to ask you something - hopefully it is not offensive in any way. How did Finns regard the whole Conan O'Brien resembling President Halonen story? It says on Wikipedia that his show airs on a cable channel in Finland so I'm curious if people found it offensive, mildly amusing, or don't care?

Here's the wikipedia entry: (!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Night_with_Conan_O%27Brien#Tarja_Halonen_and_Finland

It's not offensive at all...

We don't get much "international recognition", so every little mention is taken as a compliment. His shown does get pretty good ratings (comparable to almost ten million viewers in USA), and the visit was in the headlines for about two weeks in January-February... There is a pretty active and interested fanbase for just about any celebrity, and I suppose most of them would get the same treatment if they publicly admitted to liking Finland. :D

I suppose by now most people have gotten pretty much over the whole thing, and almost forgotten itt.

There is a pretty active and interested fanbase for just about any celebrity, and I suppose most of them would get the same treatment if they publicly admitted to liking Finland. :D

Yet another instance of celebrities getting perks! I publicly admit to liking Finland, and yet I have no fanbase!! Hehe :) :) :)

Guest LetMeGo
Yet another instance of celebrities getting perks! I publicly admit to liking Finland, and yet I have no fanbase!! Hehe :) :) :)

You don't have to tell me how unfair it is. :D

Maybe you should get a tv-programme of your own... or post a website! I'm sure even that could make it into news here. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there ... anyone know if we can take photos inside the Lutheran cathedral, the Uspenski cathedral and the Rock church if there are no services going on inside these churches? Is there a 'photo' fee? Thank you. :)

Hi.

There are no photography fees for the Finnish churches (it is a euphenism for bribery, and that is very rare in Finland. ;) ), and all the churches you mentioned will allow photography for tourists when there are no services. There is a voluntary collection of course if you want to support the churches...

Archived