Tipping in Europe

Dwpends where you are talking about. On ship it would be US$ if you are on a US line. On shore it would be in local currency. Contrary to the US perception, US$ are not accepted universally and involve getting them changed at a bank which can be a pain as well as expensive. Many people will just not bother.

While the Euro is currency in most European countries, it is not universal. Britain, Turkey, Croatia and Switzerland (an unlikely cruise destination!) are four countries not on the Euro, but most places in Turkey will accept the Euro.

Tipping isnt common over here. A surcharge is almost always added to your bill at the end, and if not, they have just worked it into the price of the food etc. We dont 'frown' upon tipping as was previously mentioned, it just doesnt happen here. When on holidays in the US we alwaystip, it is a way of life over there so we do it, and its a well known fact that waiters/waitresses dont earn a very high basic wage, so its helping them out. Here in Ireland, the minimum wage for any kind of job is €7.65 per hour ($9.77) which is really good.

If you do wish to tip, which your waiters/waitress will appreciate, just use the local currency, a couple of Euro always goes down well.

Restaurants

Most restaurants add a service charge. If they do, there is no need to tip at all over and above that charge. You may, if you wish, do so. If you do, then it is better to leave it as cash rather than putting it on a card, as if you pay cash the restaurant can use it towards paying the minimum wage.

If the service is appalling you are entitled to remove the service charge either in full or in part.

Taxis (Cabs in London)

You won't be lynched if you don't tip. Alternatively, simply ask the driver to, for a £5.60 fare to "take £6". Perfectly adequate. Easier with change too...

Hotels

I cannot explain why this is, but tipping is only really appropriate at hotels such as the Savoy. If you were to tip at a Travelinn then you'd stand out like a sore thumb - it simply isn't expected. Restaurants in hotels - as above - but if you charge it to your room then you're okay to leave nothing more if there is a service charge attached.

Pubs

No tipping. If you want to demonstrate largesse, then the way to do it is to buy the barman a drink. Many pubs have a small set amount for this - but in the country be prepared for them to take you literally!

Bars

As pubs.

Other services

There really is not a culture of tipping in the UK, and therefore there is no real obligation to do anything.

I know Americans, or at least a lot of them, cannot cope without handing out dollars left right and centre, but surely the rule when travelling is "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

And please - don't tell the waiter "I need another napkin". Ask him if you may have one. I have heard this way of phrasing a question from a number of Americans and, whilst I image it is more normal in the USA, it seems so rude over here. I will say that those who I have seen using it have not, in any way, given the impression of being rude, unappreciative or wanting things to be as they are "back home" and so I presume that it is simply a way of asking that simply doesn't travel well.

Kindlychap,

"And please - don't tell the waiter "I need another napkin"...

Are you channeling my mother? Mom, is that you?

: )

(Thanks, I leave in 3 weeks for the med, and using "May" more often will be my private goal)

Kindlychap,

"And please - don't tell the waiter "I need another napkin"...

Are you channeling my mother? Mom, is that you?

: )

(Thanks, I leave in 3 weeks for the med, and using "May" more often will be my private goal)

I only say this as the last person I heard do this was quite obviously in every other way the sort of American you should send over more often - interested in the locality, willing to learn etc etc. More a traveller than a tourist.

So I assumed it was an unfortunate Americanism (or at least unfortunate over here in Europe) as nothing else suggested that there was any rudeness intended at all. Far from it in fact!

Archived