**Welcome to the South Beach Buddy Thread***

Hi Andrea,

Leaving SBD won't help you in any way, it will just put an extra stress on your shoulders.

I'm sure you will find another job or some extra money from publishing what you write. SBD good food will keep your level of energy at its best while fast food will only make you tired and won't help you feeling better.

Please let me know how you feel.

Thank you so much for those kind words of encouragement JP; I know you are right. As an emotional eater, I've always turned to food; now that I'm on SB, I guess that's only an option if I fill up on the right food! Sugar free chocolate pudding cups, here I come:p

I will keep you all updated on the news; thanks again, so much, for the encouragement

Didn't get on here this morning as we were having computer drama but today has gone really well. I had eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast. You'll find I eat eggs ALOT as we have about 60 hens. For lunch we were out so I got a "low carb" version of a Hardees grilled chicken sandwich. For dinner we had home made taco salads with turkey, onions, tri-colored peppers, jicama, cucumber, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, and buffalo blue cheese dressing.

I didn't get to exercise and unless I get yoga done tonight I probably won't but I ran all around the college campus today pushing a stroller so I don't feel too bad. I will make up for it tomorrow I'm sure. We had doctor's appointments in 2 different cities that were 60 miles apart today so I was in the car all day. CRazy, crazy crazy! :rolleyes:

Talk to you all soon!

Tami

Sounds like you had a great day, Tami! What did you do at Hardees? Eat without the bun? I think your walk at the campus was a nice, gentle exercise that totally counts, so don't feel bad about skipping a "workout"!

I've finished one week of phase 1 and I am down 5 pounds. I was hoping for a little more, but I guess that will have to do. My Crohn's is better than it has been in a really long time. I think my body likes this low carb eating, but I am still getting fiber with the veggies.

Went to a BBQ on the weekend and managged to avoid the potatoe salad (although it looked really good) and booze.

Off to make my mushroom omlet.

Whoohoo! Way to go gymnast! I think five pounds is very encouraging; keep doing what you are doing!:)

I will keep you all updated on the news; thanks again, so much, for the encouragement

OK, I count on you to keep me updated on the job/writing news but also on the way you feel and how your diet is going, OK?

With your will power to keep on track + our help, I know you will succeed.

Take care of yourself,

JP

At least you are IMPROVING your life style. About the chips (what is the worst thing you have listed, IMHO). I've seen a post on South Beach Diet Online where they suggest to take a small whole wheat soft tortilla, spray or brush just a little canola oil on it (both sides), cut the tortilla in small chip size bites and broil them in the oven (turn them for them to be crispy on both sides). It can be used as ''chips'' with SBD friendly salsa (no sugar/corn sirup added). It equals 1 Carb portion (if the tortilla has 30g or less). I didn't try it myself but I thought it was a good idea and I will probably try it if I ''need'' chips with salsa. Just thought I would share.

Great suggestion on the "chips"! I'll definitely have to give that a try when I move on to phase 2 or 3.

Sounds like you had a great day, Tami! What did you do at Hardees? Eat without the bun? I think your walk at the campus was a nice, gentle exercise that totally counts, so don't feel bad about skipping a "workout"!

Hardees has low carb versions of a couple of their sandwiches that they wrap in lettuce and they have around 5 carbs each. (I should explain that for whatever reason I seem to do better with weight loss when I hover between Atkins and SB.) I'm not a fan of their "Thick Burger" but they have a really good grilled chicken low carb "sandwich." I generally try to remember to have them leave the mayo off because it just makes it slimy so that leaves it with the chicken, bacon, tomato, lettuce and occasionally cheese. That just depends on who was making it.:rolleyes: I don't actually think it's supposed to though.

JP- Not to worry- I won't take up smoking but making chemical changes of any sort to your body can effect crohns. Getting pregnant, changing diet, moving to a different area.... It's wierd but entirely possible that nicotine had some sort of anti-inflamatory impact on your mom. With autoimmune diseases you just never know. And what works for one person's body chemistry may not necessarily work for the next person's.

Tami

Hi!

I think I'm finally back on track regarding South Beach way of life! I had another very good SBD day yesterday (the second in a row) and my fridge is full of SBD friendly food now and I brought my lunch and snacks to work so I don't see why I would slip today.

Yesterday for me it was:

B: V8 + Cereals + 1% milk

Snack: Diet pepsi (had forgot to bring my snacks and it's the only thing I can have from the machines at the office that is not against SBD rules)

Lunch (restaurant): Ground beef - not extra lean I guess :( + onions + salad (lettuce, a little cheese, tomatoe, onion, 1/2 tblspoon of their home made dressing) + boiled vegetable + diet pepsi.

No snack

Dinner: Oriental Chicken packets from SBD website (VERY GOOD by the way) + Asian cabbage salad from SBD website (very good too, it changes from lettuce)

Alcool: 1 small glass of Bellini (vermouth half&half) on the rocks

Dessert: 1/2 pear canned + 2 MINI chocolate cups (each hold 2/3 TBSpoon I guess) with Jell-O vanilla pudding modified filling (recipe from SBD online again - WOW DELICIOUS, I will serve that when I have guests for dinner, I will simply serve them 3-4 MINI cups or 2 bigger chocolate cups + the pear instead of the 2 mini cups I had.

If you want a recipe, let me know. Dinner last night was a GREAT meal (way better than most meal I EVER had in my life, on a diet or not). It takes some time to prepare (from scratch about 3/4hr I think but was SO worth it)

Friday will be a challenge for me since I'm going to a wedding at 5pm. I don't think we will have a menu choice for dinner. I'll make sure I have a bigger snack than usual just before the wedding. At dinner, I'll have what I can from the meal (removing sauce if needs be) and leaving any SBD ennemy food (such a potatoes) in my plate. I will also allow myself 1 or 2 glass of red wine + a couple VIRGIN Ceasar. I feel strong about being on SBD right now, I think I can do it.

Let me how YOU did yesterday and what are YOUR plans/challenge for the weekend.

BREAKFAST:quote]

Great meal plan; I'm going to try the Chili Con Carne tonight!

Did you had the chance to try the Chili? Did you like it (you can be honnest - if you didn't like it it's OK, I won't be disapointed).

Hi!

I had another very good SBD day yesterday. I had 2 servings of nuts instead of only one but it's the only thing I didn't do right (I'll make sure not to eat any nuts today to compensate a little).

Breakfast: 2 quiche-cup to go from SBD online + V8

Snack: 1/4 cup mixed nuts and dried fruit

Lunch: Salad (Baby Spinach, tomatoes, onions, LF mozzarella, 1/2 TBspoon olive oil and wine vinegar dressing) + 2 LF turkey cold cut slices.

Snack: Diet no cafein pepsi + 1/4 cup mixed nuts and dried fruit

Dinner: Cod en papillotte (cod, onion, red bell peper, zuchini,mushroom, lemon juice) from SBD online (just OK but quick since it's microwaved) + Cabbage salad + glass of milk

Dessert: 1/2 pear (canned in its juice) with Fat Free Vanilla pudding on top.

Please don't let our thread go down to page 2, this thread wants to live!

:)

Have a good weekend!

Hey you all! Sounds like everyone is giving their best shot. Even if we fall down, we're all picking ourselves back up and trying again. Personally, that's all anyone can expect. No one is perfect and as long as we keep trying, we're doing great.

I had a good week, maybe a few too many nuts at the office yesterday, but I find that doesn't impair my weight loss. I've also decided to stop being obsessed with the scale. My clothes are getting very loose and I just sold my favorite Quacker Factory capri outfit on Ebay (XL) and bought the same outfit in L, plus three different people at the office mentioned that I looked like I was slimming down! Wow, that felt great! Usually those at the office don't notice until you've lost like 100 lbs or something. I guess 'cause they're used to seeing you every day and they just don't notice. Plus the beautiful red gown I bought for our upcoming cruise is too big - woo hoo! I can have it altered to fit better.

Well, here's to a great weekend - everyone stay safe and happy!

Hello all! I had a bad day yesterday--pizza for lunch and snuck a couple of my friend's potato wedges at BW3's last night. The "naked" chicken tenders would have been fine by themselves. So far so good today though. Hope everyone has a successful weekend! I'm off to walk the dog and then go to yoga. :)

As you know from my previous posts, last week was a very good week for me but the weekend was not...

Friday: Good SBD day but while I was able to leave the potatoes on my plate, I had TOO TOO MUCH wine at the wedding dinner (4-5 glass I guess) + the full dessert... :(

Saturday: GOOD SBD day

Sunday: the worst SBD day ever!!!! went for an ATV ride. Breakfast: bagel + Philadelphia cheese. Lunch: poutine (it's a type of meal from Quebec made of FRIES+CHEESE+GRAVY - NOTHING WORST THAN A POUTINE WHEN YOU'RE ON SBD!!!!). Dinner: 1 slice of pizza.

I am back on track today and my goal is NO Alcool until Friday, and then a maximum of 1 glass of red wine per day during the weekend.

Hi all! Well, eating was not the best last week. I just can't seem to do induction without serious repercussions with my ostomy. So I'm just going to stick to phase 2 and know that I won't get that first big drop like everyone else. The good news about last week is that I did exercise 4 days last week and that doesn't count the day I powershopped all afternoon.

Tami

So, I did not get the big initial drop from phase one that is usually expected from SBD. This could have been a result of some slight cheating, but I doubt it was entirely that since it was pretty minimal and I did exercise quite a bit. Just to be sure I'm going to have my thyroid checked. My mother and grandmother both take medication for underactive thyroid and this is a genetic condition that makes losing weight very difficult. I'm not sure this is a problem but I definitely want to rule it out. So, the end result of last week was no lbs lost and none gained. I did however lose 1.5 inches off my waist line. Woohoo!! :)

Congrats to all my beach buddies! Whether or not you dropped pounds, you at least showed up to the thread for encouragement; that's the first step!

I am so proud of my numbers! 189 / 180 / 130

For those of you following my stats, this isn't much of a change; in fact, week one of our thread showed the same numbers.

HOWEVER...last week I had four cardio workouts, two 30 minutes and two 60 minutes treadmill sessions, AND I lifted weights AND I went to power yoga...RESULTS?? I dropped a pants size! Six weeks of vigorous cardio, etc., finally paid off. I pulled my pants off two days ago, without unbuttoning or unzipping. YAY!!!

This is proof to me that we can't do this program through food alone; exercise is a key component!

Good luck to everyone this week, and has anyone tried the Mediterranean Salad I posted last week? I love it!

And JP's Chili Con Carne is a must have; I did tweak the spices a bit, adding some more, in my opinion, authentic Mexican spices, but all in all it rocks; try it!

I am so proud of my numbers! 189 / 180 / 130

HOWEVER...last week I had four cardio workouts, two 30 minutes and two 60 minutes treadmill sessions, AND I lifted weights AND I went to power yoga...RESULTS?? I dropped a pants size! Six weeks of vigorous cardio, etc., finally paid off. I pulled my pants off two days ago, without unbuttoning or unzipping. YAY!!!

Good luck to everyone this week, and has anyone tried the Mediterranean Salad I posted last week? I love it!

Hi!

Congratulations for your good work and drop on pants size!!!!!!

I went through all your posts on this thread and didn't find the Salad recipe. Could you please paste it here and I'll make sure to try it this week.

Thank you in advance and congratulations once again!

JP

Okay - this wasn't induction for me, since I started on June 20th, but I had a good week.

If anyone is going to Macaroni Grill, they have a great meal that is SBD friendly.

Portobello Chicken (normally served with Spinach Orzo - which you could have some of if on Phase 2) - I asked for veggies instead and had sauteed spinach with the chickent - awesome! The bread is a killer - but everyone at the table ate it all, so there was none left to tempt me. Very good meal!

I have decided not to weigh myself, but use clothing as my weight loss monitor. If I weigh myself and I don't lose what I feel I should lose, then I am undermining any progress that I've made. I reason out that if I'm sticking to program, and not losing, than why bother. I realize this is not the right attitude, but for me, that's what happens. So, I have a few outfits for the upcoming cruise that I bought about a month ago. None fit one month ago. I tried on one formal outfit yesterday. Long skirt and bustier type top. The skirt actually buttoned! The top, I got halfway up! Big improvement! I have another really cute outfit - capris and matching top - capris didn't fit by at least an inch in the waist when I bought them. I can now zipper and button! A little too tight in the butt and thigh, but I've still got 60 some odd days to go, so I'll just keep plodding along.

Sounds like you all are giving it your best shot - that's all any of us can do!

Keep up the good attitudes and it will happen!

Happy Monday!

On SBD how do you know if you are eating too much? I've just finished 2 weeks of phase 1 and, not suprisingly, my weight loss slowed down greatly during week 2. I lost only 3 pounds my second week, for 8 pounds total. I'm worried about introducing carbs becasue of this and since I cruise in two weeks and I know I won't be SB "perfect" on the boat. I've done WW before and with all the weighing and measuring you know exactly how many calories you are consuming. I just finished my lunch - red, yellow, orange and green peppers, cucumber, cherry tomotoes with a little low fat feta and 1/2 cup of ckickpeas with some olive oil and balsamic for dressing. Yumm!!!

Friday: Good SBD day but while I was able to leave the potatoes on my plate, I had TOO TOO MUCH wine at the wedding dinner (4-5 glass I guess) + the full dessert... :(

Saturday: GOOD SBD day

Sunday: the worst SBD day ever!!!! went for an ATV ride. Breakfast: bagel + Philadelphia cheese. Lunch: poutine (it's a type of meal from Quebec made of FRIES+CHEESE+GRAVY - NOTHING WORST THAN A POUTINE WHEN YOU'RE ON SBD!!!!). Dinner: 1 slice of pizza.

I am back on track today and my goal is NO Alcool until Friday, and then a maximum of 1 glass of red wine per day during the weekend.

JP,

I am LOL about the Poutine! Until I moved to Canada 16 years ago (I'm an American ex-pat), I wouldn't have believed that could actually be something that people would eat, but after trying it....we'll words don't descibe the taste. It is soooo good. I haven't had it in years and I'll try and stay away, but I'm glad you shared.

You did great at the wedding and the fact that you are back on track for this week is great.

Gymnasts mom (in Ontraio)

About Poutine: Since we are all cruisers and most of us will be going to St. Maarten at some point, there is a little Canadian restuarant on the bay side on Front Street that specializes in this. We found it last year and my hubby is already talking about going there again. I don't remember the name, but it was awesome!

Food portions: I usually try to do a similar portion to WW, but if I'm still hungry, I'll have a little more, until I'm comfortable. I cannot succeed on a diet where I'm hungry. I become a raving b#%ch when I'm dieting, but not when I'm doing SBD.

Hi!

I didn't know they had poutine in St.Marteen, it sounds funny too me. If I go to St.Marteen, I will have to try it (at least a bite from my boyfriend order).

I had a so-so SBD day yesterday. I ate only SBD approved food but I couldn't go out for lunch and I had about 1/2-2/3 cup of mixed nuts and dried fruit instead of lunch. Other than that, I did good.

So, I did not get the big initial drop from phase one that is usually expected from SBD. This could have been a result of some slight cheating, but I doubt it was entirely that since it was pretty minimal and I did exercise quite a bit. Just to be sure I'm going to have my thyroid checked. My mother and grandmother both take medication for underactive thyroid and this is a genetic condition that makes losing weight very difficult. I'm not sure this is a problem but I definitely want to rule it out. So, the end result of last week was no lbs lost and none gained. I did however lose 1.5 inches off my waist line. Woohoo!! :)

Rooks- When I switched over to SB I didn't get a big drop either. However, I had already cut alot of processed foods out of our diet due to DD's food allergies. She has allergies to corn and peanuts and back then to eggs too. Believe it or not a corn allergy cuts out 90% of the commercially processed foods including bread, lunchmeats, breadded things, cereals, pop, ........ Since we were already eating a pretty clean diet I basically only dropped rice, fruit and whole wheat bread to do phase 1. I dropped a few pounds but not the large amounts like someone who had been living on chips and boxed mac and cheese would.:rolleyes: Definitely have your thyroid checked though if you have a family history. I keep mine checked because my sister has had trouble with hers since the age of 20.

Tami

Archived