**Welcome to the South Beach Buddy Thread***

Thank you! The only problem I can see for me is leaving the kidney been liquid (it gives me gas problem that are under control if I drain them). Do you think it would work without the liquid? Also, after the beans, meat and grean been are ready, do you mix all that or is it a 3 dish meal?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...but yes, drain or even rinse the beans first just add a 1/2 can of water. You can mix everything together or keep it as a 3 dish meal.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I've lost about 4 lbs. so far - I'm having trouble keeping myself motivated to exercise though. I guess I have to take it just one day at a time.

Take care all.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...but yes, drain or even rinse the beans first just add a 1/2 can of water. You can mix everything together or keep it as a 3 dish meal.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I've lost about 4 lbs. so far - I'm having trouble keeping myself motivated to exercise though. I guess I have to take it just one day at a time.

Take care all.

thank you!

Rooks- When I switched over to SB I didn't get a big drop either. However, I had already cut alot of processed foods out of our diet due to DD's food allergies. She has allergies to corn and peanuts and back then to eggs too. Believe it or not a corn allergy cuts out 90% of the commercially processed foods including bread, lunchmeats, breadded things, cereals, pop, ........ Since we were already eating a pretty clean diet I basically only dropped rice, fruit and whole wheat bread to do phase 1. I dropped a few pounds but not the large amounts like someone who had been living on chips and boxed mac and cheese would.:rolleyes: Definitely have your thyroid checked though if you have a family history. I keep mine checked because my sister has had trouble with hers since the age of 20.

Tami

Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear. A couple weeks before I officially started SBD (I was reading the book) I actually started trying a lot of foods on the diet. I was having low-fat yogurt for breakfast, SBD snack bars for morning and afternoon snack, a salad for lunch, and usually trying one of the recipes in the book for dinner. So I was basically on phase 2 of the diet before I started keeping track of my weight loss. I hadn't thought of that before reading your post, but that may be the reason that I did not see a drastic drop. So far this week I'm down 2lbs which is where I should be now that I'm on phase 2. Thanks again!

Here's a great recipe that my kids love, it's vegan, and it's very SB friendly. The best part is that you just toss it in the crock pot and go.

Tomato-bean pot soup

2 cans or about 3 cups chickpeas (or whatever beans you like)

1 can (16 oz) diced tomato

1 cup diced onion

1 cup diced celery

1 cup hot water

1 Tbls cheap yellow mustard

1 Tbls sweet pickle relish (yes, really!)

1/4 cup brown splenda

1/8 tsp black pepper

Just toss it all in the crockpot, give it a stir and let it go on low all day. It's a filling, slightly sweet soup. Almost like baked beans but not quite. BTW, don't leave out the relish. I was out once and just left it out and it tasted funky.

Tami

I have just found this thread! My DH and I started SBD 5 weeks ago

It is very hard when you have small amounts to loose and I hate exercise.

me - 136/128/125

DH - 186/176/170

It not been too bad once we got past Phase 1.

We have 4 weeks until our cruise.

Hi all! Between having evaluations to do for work, the kids starting back to school and dealing with new house decisions my life has been CRAZY!!

I noticed on the CCL website that they now offered a Cat 11 Guarantee for only $100/pp ($30 for the kids) more than I paid for the Cat 9a.

Called the TA and he is going to change our booking!!

We have NEVER had a Cat 11 before!! REALLY can't wait till we cruise now!

Priority Check IN, Bigger Balcony, Whirlpool Tub, MORE ROOM & CLOSET SPACE!!! It is worth the extra $$ for sure!!

On the house front we have the basement finished in pouring and sealing. Starting to put the studs for the floor trusses. We are finishing painting our old house this weekend, to help inc the resale value.

Work is a little scattered. Hired 2 new RPH's (the good news) They decided to "realign" the upper management structure so now I report to the Hospital Adm. whom I don't have the best relationship with. We will just have to see.

Kids back in school. Ryan was placed in only 1 AC (Advanced Content) class after being in 3 last year. They redistricted the area due to two new middle schools and they did not have enough teachers to have AP classes even for students that deserve them. I e-mailed the principle....Ryan's schedule was changed!! Jon is doing OK so far too!

I'm down 18 lbs total!! Still working on it, but slacked a bit lately. I'll make it a priority after again after Labor Day week!!

Happy Cruzin' & Good Luck on SBD!!

Jacquelyn :D

Hi everyone and would love to join you. I started SB last January and lost about 23 lbs. then in March & May we went on 2 cruises and put a little back on. I'm now back on it again and hoping your thread motivates me to stay on it. I'm also on another thread where we post what we eat and it helps alot.

My numbers are: 188 / 183 / 145

I have to get back to the exercise regime which I know works so here's to working it again.:D

Tami,

Your soup was delicious! I made it today, and everyone loved it! I'll have it for lunch again tomorrow. It will go in my permanent file.

Thanks for sharing.

Judy

Judy- Glad you liked it. Funny, you and I made it on the same day. We had homeschool day camp last week and I needed things I could throw in the crockpot and leave.

Here's another that I sort of stole from Paula Deen and revamped:

Taco Soup

2 pounds ground turkey breast

2 cups diced onion

3 cans beans (I mix it up but use whatever)

1 can tomato puree

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can diced mexican tomatoes

1 can diced green chilis (mild or hot)

1 small can sliced black olives

1/4 cup sliced green olives

1-3 TBS southwest seasoning (or a packet of taco seasoning)

1 packet ranch dressing mix (light if you can find it)

You just brown the turkey and cook the onions then dump those and the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot and let it go all day. It makes 16 servings. Paula suggests serving it with corn chips, cheese and sour cream:rolleyes: I usually serve it with pickled jalapenos, light sour cream and 2% shredded cheese. Oh! and she also adds a can of mexican corn to the recipe. I leave it out because DD is allergic to corn but if you were in the maintenance phase you could put it in. I usually boost it with another can of beans and some red and green peppers for color and because I never cook anything exactly to recipe.:D

Tami

Here's a traditional Indian dessert that can definitely be made SB friendly. It's kind of like carrot cake without the "cake" part. -Tami

Gajar Halwa

Carrot dessert made with milk and sugar

1 pound or 6 medium Carrots, scrapped and grated

4 cups Milk 2%

3/4 th cup Heavy cream (I substitute evaporated skim milk)

3/4th cup Sugar or splenda

6 tablespoons Almonds, ground

1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder

3 tablespoons Pistachio nuts, coarsely crushed

3 tablespoons Ghee (butter), (optional )

1. Put the grated carrots, milk and evaporated milk into a deep, large, heavy saucepan. Bring it to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture has reduced to about half its original volume and is thick enough to coat a spoon heavily.

2. Stir in the sugar and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the almonds and the ghee and stir for a few minutes more.

3. The "halwa "is done when the mixture is thick enough to draw from the sides and bottom of the pan in a solid mass.

4. Remove the pan and stir in the cardamom. Remove the "halwa "into a decorative serving dish.

5. Decorate the top with the crushed pistachio nuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Judy, well let's see I had a great last week until it came to the weekend then blew it. Started out good so far this week but again it's another weekend of picnics so we'll see.

Tami, like the look of the Taco soup, might have to try it.

I have a recipe for Cheesy Zucchini bake, if anyone's interested I'll post.

Hello...I'm on the South Beach diet for the second time. I lost 25 lbs and kept it off for about a year and then went crazy with the eating so here I am again needing to lose the 25 lbs again...:mad:

I've been on the diet for 3 weeks and have only lost 3 pounds...does anyone know if it is harder to off the second time around? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Glad I came across the thread...

Good morning!

Maggie, I don't know about the second time question, sorry.

I have a new reason to loose a few pounds and get back in shape now because I bought a dress on e-bay and the only size available was 2-4, I am more of a size 4 most of the time. The measurements are thight right now but achievable for me.

Here is a link for the dress: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&item=260024674611&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 (the all black dress at the bottom, not the red one). I will get it in 5 weeks since I decided to wait until my visit to Bar Harbor instead of paying high shipping cost on this dress to be shipped home in Canada. I hope the dress will fit me!!!! (I know I will have to have it altered because it's too long but that's ok). If it does fit me, it will become my new formal night dress.

I just finished my first week of Phase 1 and so far I've done very well, and have lost 6 lbs! And I just joined the gym at our local university and will start today. I'm very excited about it, they have such an amazing facility.

I get to see my boyfriend again in November, so I have a mini-goal of 200 for then, so I've got about 10 weeks to lose as much as possible. Hopefully this board will be a great way to stay motivated and on track.

235/229/160

Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work!

Hi Michele,

Congratulations on your weight loss!

We all need to post here to keep this thread alive for support, tips, ideas, recipes. I'm sure we can have a great thread going on if we all share our thoughts about SBD.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey everone,

I just found this thread and am excited to have seen it. I've never tried SB but have all the info. I've always been a WW girl. Of course I'm still 50 lbs overweight. I'm cruising on Mariner Sept 24 and would love to be 15 lbs lighter, so, I'm joining you all.

183/140 goal

Mitzi

Dear Mitzi,

We have been combining WW and South Beach diet and having great sucess. We cook with South Beach and count points with WW. MY DH and I have been doing this since January and have lost over a hundred pounds between us. I have personally lost 59 lbs since January 2006. We count our points like WW and keep as close to 24 points per day, or, 1200 calories. That is the secret to continuing weight loss for both of us....the 1200 calorie per day. I still have a lot more to go as I am quite "fluffy"! lol

But, I have 2 months left before the RCC Grandeur cruise in December. Hopefully I can continue along to better health.

Barbara/New Orleans

Preview Always looking forward to our next cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2006;12;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

RCCL:Grandeur of the Seas/W.Caribbean/12-2-06

NCL:Pride of Aloha/Hawaiian Islands/6-27-2005

RCCL:Grandeur of the Seas/W.Caribbean/12-11-04

PCL:Dawn Princess/East Caribbean/12-8-2003

CCL:Carnival Conquest/W.Caribbean/12-15-2002

CCL:Carnival Inspiration/W.Caribbean/12-16-2001

Commodore Enchanted Isle/W.Caribbean/8-26-00

NCL:Norweigian Sunward II/Bahamas/8-27-1982

Edit Signature - No Advertising Allowed

Hello...I'm on the South Beach diet for the second time. I lost 25 lbs and kept it off for about a year and then went crazy with the eating so here I am again needing to lose the 25 lbs again...:mad:

I've been on the diet for 3 weeks and have only lost 3 pounds...does anyone know if it is harder to off the second time around? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Glad I came across the thread...

Hello,

I am here to tell you....it is not hard to OFF the second time around. I am on the 2nd time around and doing great. Unfortunately, what got me off the 1st time is the last cruise I was on 2 years ago. I started eating "incorrectly" on that cruise and gained back 10 pounds. Then it was Christmas time 2 weeks later and I kept eating. Needless to say, I gained all the weight back.

Since January I have re-lost 59 lbs and do not plan to EVER gain them back. South Beach is a great way to lose weight....so sensible. I will be cruising in December but have already formulated my plan of action to keep on program. I will not fail this time.

Good luck and GOD Bless!

Barbara/New Orleans

Hi all- glad to see people posting again. I'm plugging along here. Down another 4 or 5 since I posted here last. I have 8 weeks until Jamaica and I'm really making a concerted effort to get off 10 before then so that I can wear some new shorts that I bought at the end of the season. I added some exercise so that I'm doing 5 or 6 days of cardio a week and 2-3 days of strength training too so hopefully that helps take off those inches.

Tami

Hi!

I'm happy to see this thread alive!

I went on a cruise last week and gained 1 pound. I know it's not a weight loss but still, 1 pound on a cruise is not so bad. I ate all the time but I tried to make sensible choices and eat small portions most of the time. Norwegian Cruise Line ''Cooking Light'' menu was VERY GOOD (some of the best meals on the ship, light or not) and I ordered the always available steamed vegetable with most meals. I didn't drink too, too much (average 2-3 drinks a day I guess and mostly red wine or Bloody Mary but the occasional tropical cocktail). I went to the walk-a-mile 3-4 times and went to the gym for a full workout 3 times. I also made sure to use only the stairs (I hate to wait for an elevator anyway and I think going down stairs dressed in an evening dress is way more glamourous than trying to get off an elevator when people are already trying to get in :D)

Archived