want a clean and safe hotel in Anchorage

lablvr

We need to stay overnight before the Denali Star trip and again before the Coastal train trip in Anchorage. I have read many negative reviews of many Anchorage hotels (not so much on this board) but tripadvisor, yahoo travel,etc. I have about gotten over the price shock, but many travellers talk about very bad locations and very unclean rooms. I don't want to offend anyone from Anchorage..in fact the reviews usually always mention very nice and helpful people AT the hotels. Thanks for any advice.

Do you have any in mind? I can help with locations, don't know about rooms being clean or not because I live here and don't have to rent rooms, but can let you know areas that I wouldn't recommend.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Anchorage on July 15th. I found it to be a typical Hampton Inn. Rooms were located on the interior. Had 2 beds with the newer "fluffy" bedding. Nice, clean non-smoking room. Had a decent breakfast in the morning. Also a small, indoor pool and spa.

The hotel is located on Credit Union Drive, near a cluster of other "newer" chain hotels such as the Hilton Garden Inn. I think there was an Applebee's in the front of it. About a 10 minute drive to the airport (on a Sunday morning.)

We paid about $200 for the night. Ouch! That's Alaska for ya!

Terri

All the hotels I frequently stay at are clean and safe - the Millenium, Ship Creek Comfort Inn, Howard Joihnson's and the historic Anchorage Hotel are my regulars, but the list can get very long very quickly. The Days Inn, the Longhouse and the Samovar Inn are the few on my Bad list.

Murray

Last month when we stayed in Anchorage for 3 days after our cruise, we stayed in the Comfort Inn Ship Creek. It is very clean and in a good location. Always felt VERY safe!!!! We walked around a lot and had absolutely NO problems. The train depot is right there as well. Depending how much luggage you have, you could walk over to it. One street divides them. I watched the trains come and go from the window of our room, and it also has a pool, which not many in Anchorage (that we searched) have. If you have a lot of luggage, the hotel has free shuttles also. The going rate for the weekend we were there was $184 per night, but with my AAA discount, it came to something like $140 per night. Hope this helps!!!! I have pictures, if you would like to see the hotel in reference to the depot.

Thanks Susan, I was looking at the Historic Anchorage Hotel. Some people thought it was in an unsafe location. It seemed to be within walking distance of several restaurants though. It would be very helpful if you would give me an idea of areas to avoid walking around in. Thanks again

We stayed at the Downtown Marriott, and I (female) walked around alone some of the time. I never felt unsafe at all. It was in the daytime, so maybe night would be different. It was a very nice hotel, with a very friendly and accommodating staff.:)

Thanks Susan, I was looking at the Historic Anchorage Hotel. Some people thought it was in an unsafe location. It seemed to be within walking distance of several restaurants though. It would be very helpful if you would give me an idea of areas to avoid walking around in. Thanks again

If you're talking about this one http://www.historicanchoragehotel.com/ it's in a perfectly safe location and you're right, it's easy walking distance to most everything in the main area of downtown. Actually it's right next door to the Hilton.

I don't feel uncomfortable in our main downtown area at all. It's the same as any big city just be aware of your surroundings.

And if you're here on a Saturday or Sunday check out the outdoor market down at the corner of 3rd and E.

We just came back from Anchorage and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express near the airport. It's very nice and clean. We paid $160/night with free breakfast. Fast foods like Wendy's and McDonald are next door. We were very happy with our stay.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn 2 blocks from the train station. This was ideal having arrived from Denali at 8pm and took off for Seward at 645am.

They have a self serve breakfast like Marriott Courtyards, Embassy Suites etc which was nice and rooms were comfortable and quiet (especially quiet since RR is near). I recommend this property even though I prefer higher quality hotels especially when business expensed.

I just booked the Homewood Suites basically based on travel advisor. According to their site they had free hot breakfast, free beverage bar, "light" dinner foods with beer/wine in the afternoon plus free shuttle from the airport.

When I added up all the "freebies" I was paying about the same at all hotels. I too was shocked at the prices but it seems to be pretty standard at all hotels in Alaska. Has any one stayed here that can offer an opinion?

Haven't stayed there but it is a midtown location and our boss stays there when he's up from Juneau. You'll be close to TGI Fridays, Applebees, Stuart Anderson's and Lone Star. A Office Depot, Lowe's and Home Depot and that will be about it. Other stuff like WalMart, the Sears Mall and a movie theater are in the vicinity too but it would be a longer walk.

• 2 weeks later...
The Days Inn, the Longhouse and the Samovar Inn are the few on my Bad list.

Murray

I was thinking about booking the Days Inn . . . is it really bad? We were just going to book for one night and actually, we aren't spending the entire night. We get to Anchorage (from Seward) around 1pm and just need a place to drop the luggage and maybe take a nap before we leave for the airport around 11pm (we've got a 1:10am flight out). My husband's Aunt may fly down from Fairbanks to meet us for the day and if she does, she will use the hotel room overnight. I'm interested to hear why this hotel is on your bad list.

Thanks!

I was thinking about booking the Days Inn . . . is it really bad? We were just going to book for one night and actually, we aren't spending the entire night. We get to Anchorage (from Seward) around 1pm and just need a place to drop the luggage and maybe take a nap before we leave for the airport around 11pm (we've got a 1:10am flight out). My husband's Aunt may fly down from Fairbanks to meet us for the day and if she does, she will use the hotel room overnight. I'm interested to hear why this hotel is on your bad list.

Thanks!

Poor maintenance, a bed sway-backed like a hammock, bars on the windows like a jail, noisy guests in the courtyard....

Not for any price would I stay there again.

Murray

AK Susan, I think I asked this question before but can't seem to find that post but we are scheduled to stay at the downtown Anchorage hotel and I was wondering if this is an okay place to stay. At one time it was rated one of the better places to stay on tripadvisor but the ratings have since fallen so now I am wondering if we are making a mistake by staying here. It will be myself and husband staying here. This will not be until June 2007 so I still have plenty of time to find a place, what I am looking for is a place closer to downtown, we are renting a car but have decided to leave it at the hotel and either walk or take a taxi since we want to enjoy some of the nightlife that Anchorage has to offer. Any suggestions or opinions are welcomed. Thank you

We stayed at the Hawthorne Suites in June. The rooms were nice and the area seemed safe. They have a good complimentary breakfast with lots of variety. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

Cruisin, We are booked at the Hawthorne for one night also, can you give me some additional information. How far from the Anchorage Marriott is it? What restaurants are within walking distance? Shopping? Points of interest? Thanks

AK Susan, I think I asked this question before but can't seem to find that post but we are scheduled to stay at the downtown Anchorage hotel and I was wondering if this is an okay place to stay. At one time it was rated one of the better places to stay on tripadvisor but the ratings have since fallen so now I am wondering if we are making a mistake by staying here. It will be myself and husband staying here. This will not be until June 2007 so I still have plenty of time to find a place, what I am looking for is a place closer to downtown, we are renting a car but have decided to leave it at the hotel and either walk or take a taxi since we want to enjoy some of the nightlife that Anchorage has to offer. Any suggestions or opinions are welcomed. Thank you

If you mean the one that I mentioned in Post #9 of this thread, then you'll be fine. And it's a easy walk to most all of the stuff downtown.

We stayed in the Hilton, very nice rooms, very convenient location. We walked to restaurants, attractions.

I'll second that. We stayed about three days at the Hilton and enjoyed it very much. Had a room that faced the weekend marketplace and the train station.

Not sure how long you're staying or if you'll have a car or not. Springhill is a nice place, coworkers have stayed there in the past. It's just it's in our midtown area and only around what I would term commercial - office buildings, WalMart, a theater, Sears Mall, some local restaurants, but it is not within walking distance of downtown.

Archived