want a clean and safe hotel in Anchorage

lablvr

We were in Anchorage earlier this month and spent one night each at the Homewood Suites and the Marriott.

The Homewood is a fairly new property, very clean and comfortable. The only negative was that our reservation was not fulfilled. We had reserved a two-bedroom suite and when we went up to the room it turned out to be only a one-bedroom unit. I went down to the front desk and was basically told "sorry, no more two-bedrooms available, but we can sell you a second one-bedroom unit". I politely told them that I was not paying another $200 for their screw-up, but that I would accept a second one bedroom unit at no additional cost. The young girl at the desk looked at me like I was from another planet and called the general manager who was at home. Needless to say the GM told her (without prompting) to give me a second room at no charge, so all worked out well in the end. Beds were very comfortable; breakfast was nothing exceptional but certainly satisfying.

The Marriott is a typical big-city Marriott, in fact probably better than many. Exceptionally friendly front desk staff, rooms very clean and comfortable. We were on a high floor with a positively spectacular view of sunset over the water. A requested rollaway bed was delivered in less than five minutes. Easy walking distance to numerous good restaurants.

susan, we will only be there for the night, we are flying in around midnight on friday and leaving on the cruise saturday.. thanks for any input you have

Then I'd say for your one night and not coming into midnight (since most things would be closed any ways) you'll be fine at the Springhill. Have a good night's sleep and then have their provided breakfast and get to where your transfer is to the cruise ship.

Have a great trip and any other questions, just ask away.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We have a group of 9 booking at the Clarion Suites in Anchorage next June. Does anyone know if this is in a good location? Also, can you tell me how far from the airport it is and what all is within walking distance. Any reason why we would want to change this reservation for a different choice????

Does anyone know what the procedure is for "day-before" flyers to take the cruiseline transfer to Seward for embarkation on the Volendam. Where do you meet the motorcoach? Can this be done on your own? Would it be best to do a cruiseship transfer?

Also, for those of you who live in AK, please feel free to suggest "must-do" things for an afternoon/evening in Anchorage.

Thanks!

Macy

Clarion is a good location. It's downtown and in easy walking distance to shops and restaurants as well as the Anchorage Museum.

You're about 15-20 minutes from the airport, according to traffic.

Check out the Visitor's bureau site at http://www.anchorage.net and order the brochure.

Things to do in Anchorage all depends if you have a car or not. Right downtown is the museum, you're basically across the street from it. The Alaska Native Heritage Center runs shuttles from various points downtown to the facility. I like the zoo but then I adopt an animal every year :D

Does anyone know what the procedure is for "day-before" flyers to take the cruiseline transfer to Seward for embarkation on the Volendam. Where do you meet the motorcoach? Can this be done on your own? Would it be best to do a cruiseship transfer?

Hey Macy - When we sailed the Ryndam, we took the Alaskan RR (http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html) from Anchorage to Seward. It's a beautiful ride down. :)

-Matt

After reading statements from an Alaska resident who recommended the Millenium, we booked a room there. The pictures made it appear to be isolated along the shore of the float plane harbor with a beautiful patio facing the water. It is in a crowded area and the patio is fenced in.

Our room at the Millenium was one of the WORST rooms in which we have stayed. The carpet was filthy and the furniture chipped, worn, and dated. Some of the lights did not work. There were two sticky drink rings on the desk which had not been cleaned and the room smelled. Dirty laundry was left in the hall from the time we checked in and was still there when we checked out.

The Millenium was probably a beautiful hotel in its day but it's day has passed.

Thanks Susan and Matt for the information. I'm going to call the AKRR and check on June, 07 info if available. The information said that the depot is at 411 West 1st Avenue and is open from 5:00 a.m. daily until 4:00p.m. Wouldn't you think that I'd need reservations? We have 9 persons needing one-way rides to Seward. Also, is this address anywhere near the Clarion Suites in Anchorage?

The depot in Seward is at 913 Port Avenue. Would that be anywhere near the HAL cruise pier? Port Avenue sounds close by, but ???? Just thinking of taxi logistics or walking for this group. Really, I'm just trying to decide whether or not to go through HAL for this trip or do it on our own. One agent has said that the train is not available on that date????? Doesn't sound right to me. Maybe, it's just that the schedule isn't out yet. Thoughts on that one?

Macy

Macy,

Here's the 2007 Railroad schedule and yes I would strongly recommend reservations for the train, because you wouldn't want to get here and not be able to get on - http://www.akrr.com/pdf/2007E-Schedule.pdf - It shows the Seward train May 12 - September 17, 2007 and you're looking at $65 for adults and $33 for kids.

With luggage you really can't walk from the Clarion to the railroad depot. The railroad sits down at the bottom of a long hill.

I've never down a cruise out of Seward, but have been in Seward when the ships are in and really doesn't look a long way from where the train comes in and you get the ships, but there are others that have personally done it that will be able to tell you that part.

Like Susan said, book your tickets in advance. It's really easy and cheaper if you do it on your own. In Anchorage, we took a taxi from the Voyager Hotel (on the corner of 5th and K) to the train depot. I think it cost something like $5 total. If the Clarion Suites is downtown, it wouldn't be much more than that.

In Seward, we also grabbed a taxi when we got off the train. Again, Seward isn't very big but it would be a difficult walk. I can't recall the fare but it wasn't memorably expensive. It's probably a 5 minute drive.

-Matt

Susan and Matt - thanks for the quick answers! I've forwarded the information to my group and I'm sure that we'll make advance reservations. I'm also sure that they'll be taking taxis. This is a luggage happy group. Maybe the Clarion Suites has a shuttle. We'll check on it.

Does the train really only run one time a day to Seward from Anchorage?

It said 6:45 a.m. What would happen if they missed the train? Any other way to get to Seward other than motorcoach that also only seemed to run once?

Macy

The Alaska Railroad train does only run once a day to Seward.

If you missed the train there aren't too many other options except tracking down your cruiseline and taking a transfer with them via motorcoach or renting a car, which would involve a one way drop off fee assuming you could even find one to rent as I think there may be only one or two companies that have offices in Seward. Seward is about 115 miles south of Anchorage and we don't have anything like Greyhound here and you wouldn't even want to imagine what a taxi would cost from here to there :eek:

In Seward, we also grabbed a taxi when we got off the train. Again, Seward isn't very big but it would be a difficult walk. I can't recall the fare but it wasn't memorably expensive. It's probably a 5 minute drive.

-Matt

It's not even a 5-minute drive. It cost us $5 taxi from the pier to the Holiday Inn Express (which is almost next door to the train depot). If it weren't raining and I didn't have 2 little kids and 6 pieces of luggage/bags, I would've just walked from the pier to the hotel. I think it's probably 1/4 mile or 400-500 yards from the pier to train depot.

If you're talking about this one http://www.historicanchoragehotel.com/ it's in a perfectly safe location and you're right, it's easy walking distance to most everything in the main area of downtown. Actually it's right next door to the Hilton.

I don't feel uncomfortable in our main downtown area at all. It's the same as any big city just be aware of your surroundings.

And if you're here on a Saturday or Sunday check out the outdoor market down at the corner of 3rd and E.

We are booked at the Hawthorne Suites, can you tell me anything about this hotel? Is is clean? Safe Neighborhood? Close to train? Any information would be very helpful... thanks

Is the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel in a safe location??? Just got it on priceline last night...It is a 3 star motel.....Thanks' date=' Susan[/quote']

Basically IMHO downtown Anchorage is safe. Just remember you're in a bigger city and keep your basic rules of safe travel in mind.

Sheraton is on what I would term the outskirts of our main downtown area. You'll have a bit of a walk to get to the main shopping/restaurant area but the Sheraton is across the street from a Country Kitchen and a wonderful cafe called Kodiak Cafe. They only serve breakfast and lunch though.

We are booked at the Hawthorne Suites, can you tell me anything about this hotel? Is is clean? Safe Neighborhood? Close to train? Any information would be very helpful... thanks

Again this is sitting at 9th and L street where the main stuff for downtown is basically between 3rd and 6th - A & I (our streets run numbers east/west and letters north/south. The area is fine. Can't help with the clean because being from here no reason for me to rent a hotel room.

There is a Benihani's (Japanese) right next door but otherwise you'll have to walk to anything else. Though walking downtown Anchorage is no problem.

Again this is sitting at 9th and L street where the main stuff for downtown is basically between 3rd and 6th - A & I (our streets run numbers east/west and letters north/south. The area is fine. Can't help with the clean because being from here no reason for me to rent a hotel room.

There is a Benihani's (Japanese) right next door but otherwise you'll have to walk to anything else. Though walking downtown Anchorage is no problem.

Since we won't have a car, is there anywhere or anything of interest for us to do that is close. There is a few in our group that can't do much walking. We will arrive in Anchorage around 2pm and be spending the night. Thanks for you help

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked the Clarion for June/July next year. Wanted to add that they have a great military rate. Regular rate for our dates was $209 a night - I got for $95 a night.

I just checked the hotel website and in addition to the shuttle from the airport they do provide a free shuttle to the railroad - so no need to worry about the cab.

We just stayed at the Hawthorn Suites

- Nice rooms

- HARD beds

- Very good breakfast (juice, fruit, cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potates, make your own waffles, coffee)

- Very reasonable

I would say the neighborhood is fine. Very easy couple of blocks walk to Marriott, Captain Cook Hotel, resturants, tuorist and national park center

Places to eat nearby -

- Simon & Seafords Bar & Grill (probably the best Prime Rib. Halibit, Salmon I've ever had) - Peach couble will feed at least 2 - Expensive, Beautiful View, Best to make reservations to get a view - MUST GO

- OSSO (or something like that) - top italian resturant we didn't go but others liked it.

- Coffee Shop in Captain Cooks was very good.

Dave

Archived