USS Missouri & Pearl Harbor Questions

Cruisecontroler

Does anyone here know about the USS Missouri & Pearl Harbor tours on Oahu? Mainly, I need to know if they're walking distance apart or not and if there is storage nearby for a backpack or not, given that there is such a restriction regarding what you can carry onto the memorial.

Thanks for any info.:)

You have to take a shuttle bus to the USS Missouri. You catch it right next to the Arizona Memorial and Bowfin area. I believe they do have a place to check your packs. We drove so we didn't have to worry about where to leave stuff.

I just used the bag check at the USS Arizona this past June. It is $3. per bag. They give you a token to use when you go back to get your purse or camera bag, etc. The token also gives a discount on an ice cream.

I just talked to my dad, who, by the way, was on the Missouri when the peace treaty was signed, and I asked him the same question. I thought that it was in walking distance from the Arizona but it is not. I can't wait to see the Missouri, I've been hearing about it for years!!

You are not allowed to walk to the Missouri - you must take the shuttle as you cross onto the Navel Base - you pick the shuttle up right next to the Arizona Memorial museum (just did this last week)

A little off the topic...but my dad was on the USS Missouri when the peace treaty was signed. The whole family is very active in the USS Missouri Association and visits the ship frequently. Would love to connect. Please send email to kappellof@charter.net with your contact info...

I just talked to my dad, who, by the way, was on the Missouri when the peace treaty was signed, and I asked him the same question. I thought that it was in walking distance from the Arizona but it is not. I can't wait to see the Missouri, I've been hearing about it for years!!

The parking lot for the USS Missouri visitor area is located right across from the USS Arizona visitor area. USS Missouri visitors must take the trolley onto Ford Island to visit the ship. Purses, large cameras, etc. are not allowed onboard the ship. Small digital cameras are allowed. Recommend wearing decent shoes if you'd like to tour the vessel. The ladders into the various decks don't lend themselves to flip-flops.

Say hi to the "Mighty Mo" for me. My dad, Ernest Thompson, was on the ship during WWII and present at the signing of the surrender of Japan. He's been featured in the History Channel "3 Wars of the Battleship Missouri" feature, which occasional is shown in the video area of the mess hall on the ship.

Okay, for anyone who is truly interested in touring the Missouri, I recommend you check out the "Explorer's Tour." It's about 2 hours long and goes to all kinds of places that the "regular" and "walk around on your own" tours do not go. Really--you have to wear safety vests and are issued flashlights, etc. You also get a water bottle (with lanyard) to keep, as well as tickets for the cafeteria "lunch" (which is good because you are really hungry after all that climbing around). We also got special explorer's cards to keep. It requires a significant amount of manuevering and stairs/ladders, etc. Sturdy shoes are a must. (I'm really glad DH and I did it when we did because I doubt I'd be physicaly able to do it now--all the more reason to do these things when we can!) It is significantly more expensive than the regular tour (or entry ticket), but is so worth it for history buffs or those with a navy background or just anyone who is interested in the "whole" deal.

Do be aware that entry to the Missouri is not free. Unlike the Arizona Memorial, where they hand out the free tix first-come-first-served each day, you must purchase tickets to the Missouri (at the Bowfin ticket booth as I recall). The Explorer's Tour must be booked in advance (online or by phone). The bus for the Missouri leaves from right by the Bowfin--and they are not kidding about security. You are going to Ford Island, which is a military facility, so no public access is allowed. Period.

Just as a little side note. We've been to the Missouri twice. The first time, it had just been opened, so many parts were not accessible, but it was still amazing to tour the upper decks and stand right on the spot where the treaty was signed. Very moving. That trip was also my first trip to Hawaii, so naturally DH and I went to the Arizona Memorial. We took several pix of the Missouri while standing on the memorial, and several pix of the memorial from the deck of the Missouri. I don't know, there was just a feeling of symmetry to it. It was very moving.

beachchick

Wow, that sounds so exciting. As I said before that ship is close to my heart as my dad was on it and is still very active with the Missouri Assoc. It's hard to believe 2 people here, have dad's who were present when the peace treaty was signed. Thanks for the info Beachchick, you have been so helpful!! I'm wondering if I will be up for the Explorer's Tour, that sounds very interesting. I will definitely look in to it.

I have a very good friend who was also on the Missouri when the peace treaty was signed. he showed me the card they gave everyone at that time. To the others who have relatives who served, my friends name is Bill Denton and was a Marine assigned to the Missouri. He has thrilled me with stories from that ship, how they were preparing to invade Japan and then to be told that Japan was going to surrender, right there on 'our' ship. Anyone wnating to contact my friend, email me at Giantfan13@hotmail.com and I'll pass along the info.

I have been on the Missouri's sister ship, the Wisconson, which is in dry dock in Newport, VA. It is also an amazing feeling, just standing under those huge guns. When we were there, they had many of the original crew as guides and story tellers. Truly and amazing experience. I am a sucker for things like that. Those 'big' guns could turn 90 degrees in 15 seconds and hit a target 8 miles away. I can't wait to set foot on the Missouri.

Thanks for the information about the Missouri...especially your reply, beachchick, as I was debating about taking the tour you mentioned...after reading what you wrote, I think it'll be a done deal.

And also, thanks to those of you who added comments about relatives actually "being there" during the sigining. That makes it more real too.

You really need to make them in advance. In fact, I think they told us that we were required to make reservations for the Explorer's Tour in advance. There are only a few tours throughout the day. In any case, I wouldn't wait and hope there might be availability.

beachchick

• 2 months later...

bEACHCHICK, I'm planning on doing Pearl Harbor. Would appreciate if you can help me with a time frame. I would like to do the Az, and the Explorer Tour of the Missouri . Planning to get to Peal Harbor by 7:30 a.m. to get Az. tix. How long should I plan on being on the Az. Trying to figure out what time to buy tix for the Explorers Tour. Also, if I take a taxi to Pearl Harbor will it be easy to get a taxi back to Waikiki.Also, any idea the cost of a taxi from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor. Husband doesn't want to rent a car. Thanks for all your valuable info. One more question for now(LOL), which day do u think it would be better to go to Pearl Harbor. Friday or Saturday. Again, thanks for your help. Alot of info to absorb for my Hawaiian cruise. Again, many thanks.

lrn376: Aloha. I'll give it my best shot.

1. Getting to Pearl early is the best thing do to; you're doing it exactly right. I can't tell you what time to expect your tender to the Arizona to be because it will depend entirely on how many people are ahead of you in line. I'd guess (and this is just a guess) that with a prompt 7:30 arrival you'll probably be in one of the earlier groups (certainly no later than 10 am--probably earlier than that, say around 8:30 to 9). You are actually on/at the memorial for a specific set amount of time. Your tender tour will get there, you have about 30 minutes (it's been a while, but that seems about right), and then you have to reboard the tender so the next group will have space. Before your tender tour, you go to a movie and introductory thing. There's plenty to do at Pearl Harbor while you wait for your tour time. Don't forget to look at the Missouri while on the Arizona Memorial, and ditto in reverse on the Missouri. It's truly moving.

I would say you can plan on being back from the memorial by 11 at the latest, but don't quote me on that because there's really no way to know. Tender tix are first-come-first-served, no exceptions. (And remember that everyone getting a tender ticket has to stand in line for it.) Also remember that you will have to check all bags (waistpacks, backpacks, camera bags, etc.) for both the memorial and the trip to the Missouri. You can take an unbagged camera, a bottle of water (or at least you used to be able to, and you will get a nice one on the Missouri Explorers Tour), and then whatever you can stuff in your pockets--as long as it's not a bag of something.

I don't recall what time the Explorer tours are, but I would say that one that starts between noon and 1 pm might be ideal because it will give you a chance to explore the "regular" parts of the Mighty Mo before your tour. If there is an 11 am tour, you could consider that, but depending on your memorial tour time, it could be pushing it and you might feel rushed and stressed over getting there on time. You will need to take the shuttle bus from the parking lot by the Bowfin to the Missouri, so factor in that travel time. It's so worth it that I would book a slightly later tour to make certain I didn't miss it, even if it meant killing time at Pearl Harbor or on the Missouri before the tour (like that's a hardship--not).

I simply can't describe how cool the whole tour was for us. DH and I are both military fans, and our fathers both served in the Navy (pilot and aerial photographer, but not at the same time or together). We have many military friends and have worked with military personnel, so it's kind of a big deal for us. On top of that, I had a relative who died at Pearl Harbor on that horrible day (not on the Arizona), so I get all chicken skin (goose bumps, Hawaiian style) over the whole thing.

2. We always rent a car, so I'm no help with the taxi situation. It's a very popular stop, so I'm guessing that getting a taxi back will not be difficult.

3. Cost of taxi? Hm, it's about $15 from the airport to Waikiki, so from Waikiki to Pearl is going to be maybe $20 to $25 (that's just a WAG).

4. Probably Friday would be a lighter day, but honestly, there's no way to know and there are thousands of tourists (and locals) on Oahu every day. There's really no "down" time, but I do think Friday is likely to be the lighter day.

Hope that helps a bit.

beachchick

Archived