A&E's TV Show "Airline"

halos~ thanks for the heads up. It was either another show or I'm confused.

KittyMama~ I do work for Carnival and let me tell you, if they decided to do a Cruiseline show similar to this one, it would be hilarious.

I saw that too yesterday. How can an airline be allowed to intentinally overbook a flight in the first place? If people paid for a seat, what right does an airline have to tell them it's overbooked and they can't fly? I never used Southwest and I don't think I ever will. It's worth paying some extra money especially if I can't go a day early.

As far as I know, JETBLUE Airways is the only airline that never oversells it seats so no one ever gets bumped!

All airlines I've ever flown on overbook. It's not quite as common now as it used to be, because of the fees for changing your flight dates before you fly, but it's still done. I fly Southwest all the time, and it has one of the best on-time records. I love the show! I think it gives some really good information! Remember the whacky lady who showed up at the airport 20 minutes before flight time, with her two sons, and had to (gasp!) go through security, so she missed her flight? Then....she blamed Southwest. What an idiot! The show usually films out of LAX and Chicago Midway. I enjoy the British one, too....even with those dorky hats!

YEA...my husband was watching that too.

Overbooking a plane by 53 passengers!!!

Je-ZUS!

Next time there is a debate over travel insurance, I'll toss that little tidbit out there!!

Yeah, but the insurance generally only pays $500 for trip delay.

I missed my embarkation due to USAirlines mishandling of an engine problem in Philadelphia. They took off and then had to divert to Baltimore. No available airplanes in Baltimore, so we had to cool our heels and wait until our plane was fixed. They had to bring mechanics in from Dulles.

Of course, no other available flights leaving for Ft. Lauderdale from Baltimore. There was one Southwest (I believe) flight going out, but that was booked solid. So, we wait ... and we wait.

Bottom line, we finally take off, but there is no way we're gonna make it to Fort Lauderdale in time. Note that I had taken off from Philadelphia at something like 8:30 a.m. The ship was not sailing until 5:00. I could not imagine missing embarkation.

The pilot had made an announcement that Holland America would be meeting the airplane in Fort Lauderdale. There were five of us on that airplane destined for the ship. Naturally, we assumed they were gonna hold the ship for us since we were scheduled to be on the ground by around 5:00 p.m. No such luck. The rep was merely there to tell us we missed it and to assist passengers in getting in touch with their travel agents to make alternative arrangements.

I wound up flying BACK to Atlanta in order to catch a flight to San Jose, Costa Rica the next morning (about $600 total for both flights plus $125 for one night's lodging in Atlanta. I then stayed in Costa Rica for two nights (about $150), plus add another $75 for a car hire to take me to Puerto Limon to meet up with the ship. Add to that a missed shore excursion that I paid about $55 for, plus meals and incidentals, and we were looking at close to a grand.

I filed the claim with the travel insurance, but they only paid $500. Now, I'm still trying to get the rest from the airline ... which I'm not optimistic about.

I too am beginning to think flying out the day before is the best idea. It's just that with limited vacation time, I hate like hell to waste a day for a Florida departure. And, honestly, it wouldn't be necessary if the airlines had their crap together.

I saw this particular episode of Airline as well ... and I really felt sorry for that woman who finally got on a flight, only to get bumped off at its first stop and be turned right back around to her point of origin. I would imagine she just gave up and went back home. If she didn't have trip insurance, it would have probably cost her more than the cruise to catch up with the ship. But I believe the airline let her kids stay onboard, so at least they made the cruise.

Sad she missed out, though.

Blue skies ...

--rita

As far as I know, JETBLUE Airways is the only airline that never oversells it seats so no one ever gets bumped!

Sdaly, if this is true, it may be because Jetblue isn't large enough that they need to oversell yet. Once they 'catch on' and become more a power house in the airline industry (and they will because I have heard nothing but good about them) they will begin to overbook as well. :(

I wound up flying BACK to Atlanta in order to catch a flight to San Jose, Costa Rica the next morning (about $600 total for both flights plus $125 for one night's lodging in Atlanta. I then stayed in Costa Rica for two nights (about $150), plus add another $75 for a car hire to take me to Puerto Limon to meet up with the ship. Add to that a missed shore excursion that I paid about $55 for, plus meals and incidentals, and we were looking at close to a grand.

I filed the claim with the travel insurance, but they only paid $500. Now, I'm still trying to get the rest from the airline ... which I'm not optimistic about.

I too am beginning to think flying out the day before is the best idea. It's just that with limited vacation time, I hate like hell to waste a day for a Florida departure. And, honestly, it wouldn't be necessary if the airlines had their crap together.

Wow.

That truly stinks. I'm sorry you had that happen. I hope your cruise wasn't ruined.

Can I ask what kind of insurance you had??? I have to make sure to read my policy closer next time!!!!

I saw that too yesterday. How can an airline be allowed to intentinally overbook a flight in the first place? If people paid for a seat, what right does an airline have to tell them it's overbooked and they can't fly? I never used Southwest and I don't think I ever will. It's worth paying some extra money especially if I can't go a day early.

I'nve Watched Airline 3x - I will Never fly Southwest because of the way they treat passengers.

Wow. Three whole times of watching " Airline", and you will never fly Southwest! Gee - I watched the tape of the CCL Ecstacy with the engine fire three times, and have been on Carnival a few times since then! I'm just wondering, Cynic - which airline/s do you think always treats passengers the right way? Please list them, and you'll soon have a number of posters who will disagree with you and let you know their horror stories!

I don't understand why SW didn't try to get those Passengers from the overbooked flight onto another airline and get them to there destination in time for there cruise.This was there fault and should have gone above and beyond to help these folks.

I'nve Watched Airline 3x - I will Never fly Southwest because of the way they treat passengers.

IMHO, it's your loss if you never try SWA based on your 3 episode experience. When I've flown SWA, they are the friendliest and most helpful. And I have flown them a lot. In the past, I was flying SWA every weekend and this lasted for a year and a half. I got to know personnel on a first name basis, even the pilots. On SWA, the pilots often greet you as you board the aircraft. How many other airlines have the pilots welcoming the passengers on board. I will continue to fly SWA. If you don't, that will just make available the lower fares to those of us who do appreciate the quality service provided by the airline.

:rolleyes:

I've flown Southwest for 20 years, and will continue to do so because I can count the number of negative experiences on a few stubby fingertips, and in every single case the matter was resolved on the spot or within a few weeks of mailing a letter. Don't get me started on American or Northwest, though...:mad:

Have I seen fellow passengers mistreated on SWA? Never, though that's not to say it hasn't happened. What I have seen in many instances are "I'm The Most Important Person In The World" types get brought back down to earth quickly.

As for that 50+ overbooking, was I the only one who observed the gate agents doing a visible "***** were our reservations people SMOKING?" reaction? It wasn't a normal event.

One of the major detracks to Southwest is their failure to have interline agreements with the other airlines. Most major airlines all have agreements that will allow them to put you with another airline if there if your flight is canceled or delayed. Southwest will not do this ...tho I did see on one airline episode that they did for some passenger who didnt' get on the flight but their luggage did with critical medicine. Read the fine print in rule 240 for your airline to see what they will do if you have problems on your flight. if you search google for rule 240 and the airline it will come up.

Chris Mitchell

I too have flown Southwest a lot in the past, and they are a great airline. Now that I am in D.C., I don't fly them anymore because they don't fly out of Reagan or Dulles, and I don't feel like driving to Baltimore.

I have discovered JetBlue and LOVE them. I cannot wait until they add more destinations out of Dulles and I wish they would also fly out of Reagan. The flights are limited out of Dulles, but I can get to the West Coast ( where I grew up, and where my family is) non-stop for under $300 round trip. You really can't beat that, and having the direct tv, brand new airplanes, and great service, JetBlue is #1 in my opinion.

I would still fly Southwest if they would add Reagan to their list of airports.

I just read through this thread, because I saw this show for the first time last night. Last night, a guy who was frustrated because plane after plane after plane took off without him, because they simply couldn't get him on any of them after he was bumped from his original flight due to weather. So, he yelled and cussed and carried on at many employees and at least two gates. Finally he gets a seat on a flight, boards, settles in, and the mad SW ee gets on and forces him off, refusing to let him fly because of how verbally abusive he was to the ees. Sure he was rude and inappropriate, but why not let him go? Geez ...

That was a great episode!! I thought for a minute there that those kids were lost in KCI!

If the family of 3 had only waited, they WOULD'VE gotten to go on time, but NO!!!

The brother coming home from Iraq was touching as well.

If you watch the "Airline UK" episode after that (or have watched it at all), there's a staffer on it that really makes you grateful for what you have. She's an absolutely stunning young woman, in her early 20s, who has had renal cancer TWICE. On the current series, she was diagnosed again, so she moved up her wedding before she lost her hair. I was really impressed with how brave she was, & how neither she nor her husband & family showed any kind of self-pity over the situation. Fortunately, according to the blurb at the end of the show, they said she appears to have beaten it (altho she's still bald--lost a gorgeous head of long blonde hair). Really makes me appreciate how little I have to complain about.

The airline should remove people if they pose a threat to the other passengers. SHould over 100 people feel unsafe and uncomfortable because one person cannot control their anger? Especially in these post 9/11 times, there are a lot of people that experience anxiety when they fly, and if someone is going to be hostile just becase they are having a bad day, doesn't mean that everyone else on the plane has to suffer.

If someone misses a flight because of technical difficulties or an overbooking then yes, the airline does need to take care of them, but an act of God such as weather, contrary to what some people seem to believe, is not SWA's fault. Good for Southwest. Keep those belligerant drunks and angry freaks off the planes so the good law-abiding folks can travel safely.

Archived