Room size on RCCL vs Princess

Hello, my wife and I have been on only one previous cruise (Grand Princess for our honeymoon). On the Grand we had a minisuite and it was around 320 sq feet. We are seriously thinking about going on an eastern carib cruise on the Freedom next year for our fifth anniversary. It looks like the balcony rooms are almost a hundred sq ft smaller in RCCL balcony rooms compared to Princess. Is there anyone that has been on both lines and has anything to say about the room sizes on both lines.

I had a D1 on FOS and it was a really nice cabin. I have had a variety of balconies, JS, and suites on RCI and enjoyed most of them but personally favor the D1 afts.

I was aboard Caribbean Princess recently and was not impressed with the size of the balcony cabins. Not as well laid out, only a chair not a sofa and not as cleverly designed in terms of storage as FOS. Also, (1) the bathrooms on FOS are nicer than those I saw on Princess, and (2) I really do not like the lack of privacy on the balconies on Princess.

If you look at the websites, RCI does not include the balcony in the sq ft calculation and Princess does so I think the difference is pretty minimal.

I've had mini-suites on Princess and jr suites on RCI. I don't know about actual size comparison, but I can tell you that the RCI jr. suites are better laid out and feel roomier. I certainly agree with caviargal that the D1 balconies on RCI are MUCH nicer than the balconies on Princess. I hate that there is no comfortable seating in those Princess cabins.

Having sailed w/ Princess & RCCL several times I will give you my comparison:

The regular balcony rooms on RCCL (D1, E1 etc) aare the same as the balcony Cabins on Princess (AA,AB, etc) approximately 180sq ft. The mini suites on princess are wider, give you a tub, and feel much roomier. Actual size is 230 sq ft. The JR suite on RCCL is two balcony rooms in size. It is almost 350 sq ft with a larger balcony. These are more expensive in comparison to the minisuites on Princess. You will be happy with either.

It's always confusing when this question is asked, because Princess adds the balcony size to the posted cabin size. The balcony could be anywhere from 40 - 100 sf and that would need to be subtracted from the room size.

The standard balcony cabin on Voyager class is about 25 sf bigger than Grand class. The D1 is slightly smaller than the minisuite but the Junior Suite is bigger than the minisuite.

Edited to add...the balcony cabin on Grand Princess is about 165 sf, not 180 sf. The club chair in front of the sliding door was not as convenient as the small sofa we had in our E1 on Adventure.

Archived