evening separates

TracersQQ

I noticed a lot of you say that you wear separates on your formal nights. Someone, also, said that they have some that are sexy. Wear do find these separates? Everything that I see are either a sparkly knit twin set or a satin wrap blouse. I haven't seen anything that is cute or sexy. I have seen several skirts, that I liked, but I haven't seen any tops that I would wear. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. I'd like to hear where you get you tops or see pictures of some that you have.

Not so much this time of the year, but there are usually TONS of sparkly tops in the stores around christmas time. They range from reserved, to sexy to downright bare!

I guess people wear them to christmas parties.

I generally sew my own formalwear and often times will pick skirt and top patterns and cut them from the same fabric. For me, skirts are usually full and tops are fitted. I like separates because they give me a more custom fit.

I think sparkly tops and black skirts or evening pants are what most are referring to when they talk about separates.

I have a long black sequin straight skirt that I have worn with many different tops, last year I found a white lace fitted shell at Ross for $6.00! It was your normal shell with a deep scoop neck but fitted. I think you just have to look around and then try them together. Some of the sparkly tops looked too over the top but this was just right and the formal night pictures with DH look so elegant.

Thanks for all of the replies! You know I totally forgot about finding a dress at Christmas time. I'm just so ready to go on this trip that I keep forgetting that we have the holiday season before I go. I keep thinking that I need to get something, now, since Summer is almost over. I do need to finish getting my casual type clothes, before all of the fall/winter stuff comes out. I bet I will find something formal closer to, or after the holidays. As far as my definition of sexy, it really isn't sexy, at all. I just meant not "mature". I just saw sexy used on another post and thought that was a good word to describe what I am looking for. I certainly don't want to have it all hanging out when I walk into the dining room and scare everyone, lol. But I do want to look age appropriate, if any of this makes sense.

I have a long black skirt and black dressy slacks. Then I have a few tops that I mix and match with the skirt and slacks. Some are sparkly, some are more subdue, and some are frilly/sexy. I even have a couple of really fancy jackets that I wear with a plain black shell (same material as skirt/slacks). I watch the sales especially pre-season and right after the holidays.

Robinson-May, Macy's, Dilliards, and Nordstorm carry quite a bit of separates in party/formal wear.

Dilliards has some awesome sales and selection on formal dresses from the petite to the large size woman. This year I found 2 GREAT formals and have added them to my collection. One beaded black and one blue/black (changes color as the light hits it). Can't wait to wear them on the next cruise. Both will pack easily and not wrinkle because of the type of material (same with my other formal things).

My husband loves to dress up, so he owns a tux. We change out his vest/bow tie so that it matches whatever I'm wearing.

I'm not sure what you mean by sexy? That word has different meanings for different people, please explain what you call sexy?

For me, it would apply to the cut (halter, cutaway shoulders, very fitted, etc) and the fabric. I have a lot of beaded halter type tops by Anne Klein, Tadashi, Dana Buchman. I prefer them in colors or prints to coordinate with solid color black slacks and skirts. They are cut to show some cleavage and some skin.

For sexy pants, it would again be the fabric. Perhaps sheer chiffon, or a well draped jersey with some bling. I have a beaded black skirt that falls below the knee in the back but he front has high slit on one side. It reminds me of a salsa skirt.

:)

For me, it would apply to the cut (halter, cutaway shoulders, very fitted, etc) and the fabric. I have a lot of beaded halter type tops by Anne Klein, Tadashi, Dana Buchman. I prefer them in colors or prints to coordinate with solid color black slacks and skirts. They are cut to show some cleavage and some skin.

For sexy pants, it would again be the fabric. Perhaps sheer chiffon, or a well draped jersey with some bling. I have a beaded black skirt that falls below the knee in the back but he front has high slit on one side. It reminds me of a salsa skirt.

Exactly, you said it very well. Tadash does nice evening seperates that I don't consider "mature" so does Dana Buchman.

I guess it all just depends what you like. I'm in my early 40s but do not normally wear anything too bare because 1) I'm ALWAYS cold when I do, 2) I'm more classic than "sexy", and 3) I'm not fond of my upper arms. I do have a fairly long neck and good chest (not talking cleavage, but the area above) so I don't mind showing that area off with some deeper necklines.

I see all sorts of things in every range of sexy to stately when I'm out shopping. Embellished camisoles have been so in and look great with a long straight skirt (say in black silk satin) with a slit or with full, dressy pants. You can throw a wrap over it for warmth or extra cover.

Cruisemom and Caviargal, you both describe my idea of evening seperates.

I prefer the more "casual elegant/somewhat conservative" look, always have always will.

You are absoultely right cruisemom, lots of those emblished camis out there.

There are so many seperates out there that do not look fumpy or matronly

Archived