BA World Traveller PLUS

bldsld

Has anyone ever flown British Airways transatlantic in the World Traveller Plus Section? If so, how far do the seats recline? We only need one-way air, SFO-AGP (Malaga), and in business class, it's nearly the same cost as a R/T ticket. We thought we'd try this option if it's comfortable, but I'd prefer getting information from someone who has actually flown in this class of service.

Is it really better than coach, or is the distinction illusory?

Thanks!

Denyse

Has anyone ever flown British Airways transatlantic in the World Traveller Plus Section? If so, how far do the seats recline? We only need one-way air, SFO-AGP (Malaga), and in business class, it's nearly the same cost as a R/T ticket. We thought we'd try this option if it's comfortable, but I'd prefer getting information from someone who has actually flown in this class of service.

Thanks!

Denyse

Hi there Denyse!

Greetings from London!

Have a look at ba.com and there's a pretty good description on BA World Traveller Plus. The width of the seat is about the same as Club class (both cabins on the 777/747 are 2 4 2 layout).

I've done WTP (and probably will do so tomorrow!) and it's fine. I do have to say WTP is a better proposition on a daylight service vs. the overnight from SFO as Club is a proper bed.

The meal service in WTP is identical to that of World Traveller (economy).

WTP is good value for money.

Hope you and Ken are keeping well!

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have already looked at the web site, but unfortunately, there is no mention of seat pitch. Additionally, the res agents apparently have no information, or at least the one I spoke with today had nothing at his disposal. I do agree that the Eastbound direction is more difficult from SFO, which is why the seat pitch is something I really would like to know before I actually book.

Have a safe trip home, and regards to you and Wilfred!

Denyse

Denyse,

Check out SeatGuru.com... it has all the info about all the configurations of every plane in the fleet of each major airline. It is one of the truly invaluable web sites for frequent travellers.

alita

Thanks Alita and Clarky.

I see there is an extra 2 inches of recline (7 vs. 5) in WTP, which is not alot. I was hoping for more, to be honest. It's been years since I've flown coach for such a long distance; usually, we fly business class on a R/T ticket. I hope my back can handle it!!!

Thanks,

Denyse

Thanks!

Denyse

Hello Denyse

Look for Martinair, out of Amsterdam to SJO via Miami, direkt flights

They have Comfort + Star class.

Exampel : a return Amsterdam - SJO - Miami -AMS is € 495 aprox.

$ US 620

Good luck.

With kindest regards

Rolf

A quick look on Expedia demonstrated your pricing point to me, Denyse but did you see that Air France is asking about ~2600 via CDG while BA wants ~4800 via LHR? Of course I don’t know if you have miles or other reasons for thinking of BA.

I tried ‘economy deluxe’ on EVA Airways, trans pacific this spring and from my viewpoint of a step up from coach it was a lot better for space and seating comfort, I was impressed.

We too are running in to this high one way pricing for our return from Rome to the west coast next spring. What bailed us out is that Air Canada’s one way business prices are not so biased. Their web site actually offers Rome-Vancouver one way business at 3/4’s of the one way coach price!! Did we jump at it? you bet!

Bill

A quick look on Expedia demonstrated your pricing point to me, Denyse but did you see that Air France is asking about ~2600 via CDG while BA wants ~4800 via LHR? Of course I don’t know if you have miles or other reasons for thinking of BA.

Denyse, Your first priority should be comfort, especially on this long-haul one way flight. I am not familiar with AF business class seats but the links previously provided should give you the info you need. CDG is not my favorite airport to change planes; but, you are going to the Legend so it will be worth the small inconvenience. I like BA bus. class but would not pay that price. BA does occaisonally have one-way excursion bus. class fares west coast to Europe via LHR in the $2300 - $2600 range, which I would jump on. Good luck!

Your soon to be Faithful Scribe.

Thanks, all, for the posts.

I'm curious to know what other west-coasters are doing to get to Malaga in November? We really feel like we're in Timbuktu when it comes to air from San Francisco when traveling to Europe.

(BTW, Martinair doesn't fly to SFO).

Thanks,

Denyse

I'm curious to know what other west-coasters are doing to get to Malaga in November? We really feel like we're in Timbuktu when it comes to air from San Francisco when traveling to Europe.

I am flying Lufthansa (LH) from LAX to FRA (Frankfurt, Germany) change planes and then over to AGP. LH has redesigned their business class seat. My TAs have flown from PHX to FRA and were very comfortable (he is 6' - 5" like me) and had plenty of leg room. She said the all-digital entertainment system was first class. LH partners with UA if you have miles with them.

If push comes to shove, you may have to consider a short hop to another gateway like LAX, SEA or ORD and an overnight before the overseas flight. I did a quick Expedia dot com search and found business class one-way fares under $2300 from the above cities. Plus you will have to find a good fare from SFO to these cities.

Iberia (IB) flies from SEA to ORD to MAD to AGP. Air France flies from ORD to CDG to AGP. IB flies from LAX to either ORD or JFK to MAD to AGP. Again, all for under $2300. Caution: I have heard mixed reviews about IB's business class from Seabourn passengers who flew with them, so you may want to look in to that and scruitinize IB more closely. My one-way LH itinerary from LAX is now just over $4800! :eek:

I hope this information helps you and the best of luck securing decent business class seats! :)

I am flying Lufthansa (LH) from LAX to FRA (Frankfurt, Germany) change planes and then over to AGP. LH has . My one-way LH itinerary from LAX is now just over $4800! :eek:

Paul, you ought to consider finding another single SB passenger from LAX to Malaga, and share the cost of a 2-for-1 Platinum ticket. It's only about $5000 for 2 persons, and I think that is likely what we will end up doing.

Denyse

Paul, you ought to consider finding another single SB passenger from LAX to Malaga, and share the cost of a 2-for-1 Platinum ticket. It's only about $5000 for 2 persons, and I think that is likely what we will end up doing.
Denyse, I think $2500 p/p is a good price for SFO (or any other west coast gateway) to AGP. If you end up flying BA biz class and have not done so before, please let me know because there are definitely preferred seats that I can share with you and any other Seabourn sailors who may be interested.

Until I am in a position to take your advice above and Delta goes out of business where I have to swap my Delta SkyMiles partner Platinum Amex card for a Platinum card issued directly from Amex (partner Amex Platinum cards are not eligible for 2 for 1 Platinum tickets or shipboard credits) I have been sucessful purchasing one-way excursion biz class fares about 330 days before the flight when the airlines load their fares in the reservations system.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I really lucked out for this Nov. because LH initially had the fare for my itinerary at $2600; then one day it unexpectedly dropped to $2125. I called my TA and she booked it for me straight away last Dec. I was sooo happy! Three days later, LH yanked this discounted fare.

Paul, I neglected to mention that the 2-for-1 is on LH, not BA. BA is off the charts for business class one-way, and does not participate in the AMEX program. I recall that they did years ago, but the Amex Platinum program benefits have contracted each year

I have flown BA business class before, and the fully-reclining pods are quite comfortable, yet oddly configured. Unless you take 2 middle seats, you end up sitting next to a stranger for the entire trip, as your partner/spouse is facing you with his/her feet!

Denyse

Paul, I neglected to mention that the 2-for-1 is on LH, not BA. BA is off the charts for business class one-way, and does not participate in the AMEX program. I recall that they did years ago, but the Amex Platinum program benefits have contracted each year

I have flown BA business class before, and the fully-reclining pods are quite comfortable, yet oddly configured. Unless you take 2 middle seats, you end up sitting next to a stranger for the entire trip, as your partner/spouse is facing you with his/her feet!

Denyse, I am so glad you guys are taking a one-stop flight to AGP. After the greuling three flight, 21+ hour treks from LAX to Tenerife Norte (the closest airport to the Legend) on Delta and Spanair the last 3 years, I decided to treat myself to a one-stop flight to the embarkation city.

IMHO the best place isthe biz section on the upper deck with 2 + 2 seating, no middle section of seats and it is much quieter up there. The best seats are the forward facing aisle seats immediately behind the front bulkhead because no one has to climb over you when in "sleep mode" to get to the aisle and the aft facing window seats immediately forward of the aft bulkhead so you do not have to climb over the aisle passenger in "sleep mode" to get out.

ORD is Chicago O'Hare

MCO is Orlando

A bit of boring, o/t trivia:

ORD - O'Hare. ORD comes from the fact that the airport's grounds were originally ORcharDs.

MCO - Orlando. MCO comes from the fact that the airport was originally MCcOy Air Force Base.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...already in progress. :-)

IMHO the best place isthe biz section on the upper deck with 2 + 2 seating, no middle section of seats and it is much quieter up there. The best seats are the forward facing aisle seats immediately behind the front bulkhead because no one has to climb over you when in "sleep mode" to get to the aisle and the aft facing window seats immediately forward of the aft bulkhead so you do not have to climb over the aisle passenger in "sleep mode" to get out.

I agree completely. Don't forget that the window seats have nice big ledges with cubby bins for storing items you might need during the trip.

A bit of boring, o/t trivia:

ORD - O'Hare. ORD comes from the fact that the airport's grounds were originally ORcharDs.

MCO - Orlando. MCO comes from the fact that the airport was originally MCcOy Air Force Base.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...already in progress. :-)

Craig, I would expect you to know these bits of trivia, as I would expect you to know the names of every member of the Partridge family!!!:);)

I agree completely. Don't forget that the window seats have nice big ledges with cubby bins for storing items you might need during the trip.

Matt, Excellent point! In my initial post, I failed to mention that I was discussing the BA biz class cabin.

Craig, I would expect you to know these bits of trivia, as I would expect you to know the names of every member of the Partridge family!!!:);)

I bet Mr. CASHIPman also knows why the IATA designation for Louisville, KY is SDF!

Denyse, I know the names of all the Partridge Family members, including the dog, and the actors who played them and the reason why one of the actors had to leave after the first season indellibly etched in my brain without notes!! :eek: Allright, I confess, I do not know the name of the animal actor that played the dog ... yet! :D

Archived