HAWAII Cruise

momtobradley

Hi.

My husband and I are planning on a cruise of the Hawaiian Islands for our 10 year Anniversary. It will be a 10 or 11 day cruise and we would like to end up in Vancouver and stay for a few nights. Has anyone done this cruise? If so, what ship? Is the Suite or Concierge rooms worth the money? I love to be pampered!! Also, what is the BEST month to do this cruise?

Thank you!

Jennifer

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe on Celebrity to go from Hawaii to Vancouver you would need to go in April or May. That is when the Infinity returns to do the Alaska cruises.

Just had CC class for the first time by a stoke of luck. It was nice. As for expense I suppose that depends on your budget. A balcony cabin is always nice no matter what deck. Don't know about suites.

Hi.

My husband and I are planning on a cruise of the Hawaiian Islands for our 10 year Anniversary. It will be a 10 or 11 day cruise and we would like to end up in Vancouver and stay for a few nights. Has anyone done this cruise? If so, what ship? Is the Suite or Concierge rooms worth the money? I love to be pampered!! Also, what is the BEST month to do this cruise?

Thank you!

Jennifer

Hi there..I've never done this cruise, but it's on the list especially since we live in Vancouver. The only thing I can answer is the month to do this cruise...if you want to end up in Vancouver you have no choice... you're looking at late April, early May...it's the only time they do that route. If you want to leave from Vancouver, it's late September early October.

In 2005 the Infinity will only be doing Hawaii end of March thru beginning of April, then she is going to do a back to back Panama Canal with the second of the 2 cruises ending up in San Francisco. Infinity will then do at least l (and if I remember correctly at least 2) 12 night cruises to Alaska from and to SF before starting the regular 7 day Alaska cruises in mid May. The Ensenada/Hawaii/Hawaii/Vancouver back to back is one of our favourite cruises.....we hope they will return to that schedule in 2006.

The Hawaii cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver at the end of May for 2005 has been cancelled. We are on the Infinity on April 6th from Hawaii to Ensenada and the ship ends up doing the Panama canal on the cruise right after ours. However, it seems that our cruise has now been red flagged. I hope that it doesn't mean that our cruise is also being cancelled. The website now shows the Infinity sailing the Panama Canal beginning the first of April till the middle of May.

Don

We've done the cruise Hawaii-Ensenada (ironically enough, for our tenth anniversary, which, as it happens, fell on Le Grand Buffet night), and we did it in a Royal Suite, which was very nice. CC wasn't available on the Mercury at the time, so I can't comment on that, and we're only getting an outside for the Infinity this December.

Several Celebrity summit cruises are code red (i.e. "full") at present, but I suspect that's due to Agency blocks - shop around some of the larger cruise agencies and you may be able to find space.

We are booked on the September 26th cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu. It's a 11 day cruise on the Infinity. I've heard from past cruise passengers on this particular cruise and they loved it and are doing it again. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary on this cruise and looking foward to it.

Guest alexMD

What a great idea for a very important celebration!

Regarding your first questions re Hawaii,

I think that your plans for an 11-day will allow you sufficient time on each island to get a preview of each island's unique character and charm. Furthermore, I personally think (and I have to emphasize this is in my humble opinion for those who may choose to disagree) that the BEST way to experience the islands is on your own. You can book a rental car in each port (although gas is more expensive than on the mainland, rental cars are pretty cheap) and most companies will pick you up and drop you off at the pier. You DO NOT have to book a car through the excursions desk. Then, with the help of a guidebook (I have a specific recommendation in mind) you can have your own tour of the island and experience things not on any cruise ship excursion. The guidebooks I recommend are the "Revealed" series by Friedman and Doughty. They have detailed maps and really unique things to do. Pick one up at your local Barnes and Noble, leaf through it and you'll see why I recommend them. (I have a direct link to the books on my website http://www.krob.com/hawaii under the resources tab.) Not only do you save money over a ship-based excursion, but you get to see parts of the island that excursions never get to.

On Infinity and her sister ships, I think the best staterooms are the Family Value cabins at the back of the ship. These have huge balconies that overlook the penthouse suite. The best suite of course, is the penthouse suite. I had it the last time I was on Infinity, and have pictures on http://alexmd.photosite.com/InfinityPHSuite/

If the PH Suite is too over the top for you, consider a royal suite, or a sky suite on the penthouse deck. I don't recommend the other sky suites on the Infinity-class ships because of the notorious overhang.

I did Hawaii to Vancouver several years ago. It was great in Hawaii, but one day out of Hawaii, and it got quite cool, then cold. No one on the ship was prepared for the change in temperature, (poor planning I guess), and most people stayed inside for the last four days.

We loved Vancouver though. We went back there a second time on a Pacific Coastal, and this time brought warmer clothes.

Hope this helped.

Archived