Beware of crooked police

ladybeachlover

The dune buggy and jeep tours take you from town to the Mayan road, which is a sand, and in some places quite deep sand, road. The Mayan road goes up the east coast to El Castillo Real (Mayan ruin). You cannot take rental cars off of the paved roads and onto the sand road. Well, you could. But if you do and you get stuck or do any damage to the vehicle you'll be paying through the nose for the tow and the repair.

There is, however, a paved road that goes around nearly the entire circumference of the island. You start on the westside of the island and head south and go around the southern tip of the island. When you get to the eastside, you'll be heading north. The only way back to the western side is to turn around and head back the way you came; or, take the trans-island road that cuts across the island.

Cancun.map is out of Cozumel maps at the moment. But you can get another good map from CozumelInsider -- http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Frmap?From=Francosmaps

There is, however, a paved road that goes around nearly the entire circumference of the island. You start on the westside of the island and head south and go around the southern tip of the island. When you get to the eastside, you'll be heading north. The only way back to the western side is to turn around and head back the way you came; or, take the trans-island road that cuts across the island.

Thank you for the reply! So, can you rent dune buggies just off the ship and get on the paved road immediately? Also....hey, how easy would it be to get lost?!?!

I have rented cars in Coz twice without incident and will do it again in a couple months. It is THE only way to truly experience that island. While I'm sure this sort of thing does happen, I have to believe that it is extremely rare. There is one main road that circles the island. It is paved and fairly heavily traveled. You can't get lost. Stick to that road and the public beaches and beach clubs that dot it and you will be ok.

You can't rent the dune buggys privately any longer. Once upon a time, you could rent the dune buggys but they don't rent them out anymore.

You can rent a topless VW or jeep or other car. (please stay away from mopeds -- very dangerous) A couple of great sources:

Aguila Rentadora: http://www.cozumelcars.com (We've used them a number of times. Very friendly and honest service and reliable vehicles.)

Cozumel Insider: Sherri has negotiated some excellent rates through Avis car rental.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/CarRent

reading this post made me wonder if I would be brave enough to try this..

I am sure that the cruisers in question had their cameras with them. I would have wanted to pull it out and play 'stupid' tourist and try to get a photo of them posed for the payment...that might have backed them off if they were really 'crooked' and would have provided some real proof here on the cc board for the future travelers in Cozumel.

probably be too worried of any consequences tho!!!

Chris Mitchell

We didn't park downtown, but drove thru it. The only gas station is there so we had to refill b4 returning the car. It was congested but not bad. I didn't see much parking, so that may be an issue. What we're gonna do is return the car after sightseeing and take a cab back downtown to shop.

We rented a car for a day the week before last and had no problems. (details in another threat in the Cozumel forum).

BUT,

things like this can happen in any caribbean destination. So take precautions like described above. Here's what we do:

* We always take passports to foreign countries

* We keep copies of our passports, separated and hidden

* Wee keep our driver's licenses and passports separated to produce the driver's license only

* We learn enough Spanish to get by, and take a phrase book

If presented with a "situation," take a relaxed and friendly attitude no matter how you feel inside. Smile, offer a handshake, and say

"Como esta? Me llamo Bill. Como se llama?" If they answer, remember their name. Offer to follow them to the police station for further discussion. If they demand money, pull out a travelers check. If you demonstrate you are not easily ruffled, they will likely tell you to have a nice day and move on.

Note the time, place, description of the people and any vehicle they have. Report the incident.

Please wear your seatbelt and one person per seat. Drive slowly and defensively, and pull over to let faster locals pass. Anything else is asking for trouble.

It is anger-making and unpleasant to be harrassed by the policia. However, I can tell you beyond any shadow of a doubt, you were in NO PHYSICAL DANGER. All the military and police carry guns down here.

But that doesn't mean, as the original poster seemed to infer, that they're going to shoot you in the head and throw your body into the scrub forest. Not only would they never in a million years get away with it -- this being an island and all -- but the culprits would spend the rest of their lives in a very, very nasty jail. Unless someone decided to have them put away for good for giving the tourist industry a bad name.

So you have nothing physical to fear from the policia at least 3/4 of which, by the way, are very good, honest people and the government is working to get to the bottom of local corruption issues like this.

That said, here are a few tips.

#1. Don't show them your cruise pass if you can help it. Then they'll know you're only on the island for a day and they have the power to ruin your day on the island. They know you're going to fear they'll ruin your day. But you should be aware that it is, for example NOT a ticketable offense to be caught without your seatbelts. I have ascertained this fact from the chief of police. You're just supposed to get a warning. So how do you think the policeman is going to look hauling you in for a seatbelt infraction? He's going to lose his job is what's going to happen.

#2. Realize where the check points are and be ready for them. There are three. One is on the road going south about .5 miles beyond the light that's near the Puerta Maya and International piers. You will pass this check point on your way to any beachs and parks south. You'll see a little canopy. Be sure everyone has on their seatbelts.

The second one is on the road going north to the golf course and a bunch of condos and all inclusive resorts. Playa Azul is up this way as well. Again, seatbelts, please. Helmets, too if you're dumb enough to rent a moped.

The third one, and the one that burned this original poster, is on the Transversal, the paved road that cuts across the center of the island. This checkpoint which, in my personal experience as someone who lives on the island full time, is the most prone to corrupt practices and harassment, is located about 1.5 miles outside town going towards the other side of the island.

This is why in essays I've written on my Cozumel website to help cruisers explore the island on their own, I suggest they avoid this check point. Unless they're coming back the other way.

I suggest you drive south from the cruiseship pier, through the one checkpoint south of town which gets a tremendous amount of traffic so its harder for them to burn you. Tour the south end of the island, cruise around the wild side of the island which is gorgeous.

When you've had enough, I suggest just turning around and heading back the way you came. You won't get lost in town that way. And that's the last checkpoint you'll run into. Because, they don't check people coming BACK, only going OUT.

Final tip? If you really have done something illegal, $20 or 200 pesos is PLENTY. Do NOT fork over $50. Tell them its all you have on you and if that's not enough we'd better all go to the police station. This will get you off the hook.

Carey, thanks so much for taking the time to post that good information. We have decided to definitely rent a jeep for the day and just have an optimistic, great time! I know we are going to love Cozumel!

Archived