Noro Virus Question

jean95404

....people who washed their hands frequently; used hand sanitizer; kept fingers out of eyes and mouth, and took common sense precautions did not become ill..

That was your take on things and for the most part, includes the easy things one can do that still allows a reasonable chance of having a cruise vacation without NLV infection.

HOW TO AVOID ILLNESS ON A CRUISE:.....

This germ free cruise vacation is not for me:too much emphasis on germ free and not enough on cruise vacation. Take common sense precautions such as those mentioned by BigTime and like over 95% of cruisers, you'll be OK.

We just came back from Alaska on RCI. Since we stayed the day prior, I bought the Lysol in Canada. We walked into our cabin and I told DH - "don't touch anything (including the remote) until I spray the entire thing down!" (seriously)

I sprayed down the entire cabin - walls, mirrors, drawers, bedding, furniture, doors, windows, balcony, everything! When my cabin steward asked me what I got on the mirrors, I told him it was Lysol. OK - he looked at me like I was nuts (but no one got sick - thank goodness). We also heavily limited use of the elevator (a nice, confined space to spread germs). And, I use Airborne - I swear by it - I start a pill a day a week before a trip.

However, I did observe in the Windjammer that only a handful of employees who were picking up plates, cleaning tables, etc. were wearing gloves. Is that safe (also, none of the staff in the dining room were cleaning their hands after picking up silverware, plates, etc.)?

Also remember this virus is not a "cruise ship virus", it is anywhere there are lots of people converged.

You're absolutely right! A couple of weeks ago, one of the hospitals in our city had an outbreak of norovirus! It started in one department and quickly spread throughout the hospital! The precautions the hospital recommended are exactly the same as advised on cruise ships.

.....I sprayed down the entire cabin - walls, mirrors, drawers, bedding, furniture, doors, windows, balcony, everything! When my cabin steward asked me what I got on the mirrors, I told him it was Lysol. OK - he looked at me like I was nuts (but no one got sick - thank goodness). We also heavily limited use of the elevator (a nice, confined space to spread germs). And, I use Airborne - I swear by it - I start a pill a day a week before a trip.....

All of these are great things to do.

Avoiding the elevator is a great way to increase use of the stairs. Use the germ-laden handrail to prevent falls on the moving ship.

The most important practice in reducing the likelihood of contracting norovirus is thorough and frequent washing of the hands, especially after using the facilities, and before eating or touching your face....because Lysol used as directed doesn't destroy NLV.

From the Lyson website:

Some of the germs LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray eliminates on hard non-porous surfaces include

Bacteria

- Staph and Strep

- Salmonella

- Escherichia coli

- Campylobacter

Fungi

- Athlete’s Foot Fungus

- Mold and Mildew

Viruses

- Rhinovirus -The leading cause of the common cold

- Rotavirus - The leading cause of infectious diarrhea in children

- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) – The leading cause of lower respiratory infection in children

- Poliovirus Type 1

- Adenovirus Type 2

- Herpes Simplex Virus Types 1 and 2

- Hepatitis A

Lysol is good, but it's use doesn't appear to include norovirus, and suggest that spraying Lysol on sheets and other porous materials isn't recommended.

Hey - you can't blame a gal for trying (and, again, no one got sick). And, to be honest, I didn't use the rails on the stairs - too many germs. :) But, I must have washed my hands at least 20 times on the cruise (and used the hand sanitizer in the Windjammer).

I just got off the Sea Princess yesterday and during our two-week cruise, there was a norovirus "watch." I don't know if many got sick but for two days, the buffet was crew-served (not self-serve) and in the dining room, bread and butter (and other common items) were served by the waitstaff and not put on the table for everyone to take. For those two days, I happened to eat in the dining room for breakfast and lunch so I wasn't really affected. After a couple of days, everything was pretty much back to normal.

As an FYI, the first day onboard, I went to the buffet for lunch and they had someone sanitizing your hands and handing your plate and silverwear to you. One family with several children bypassed it all, saying, "We don't need to wash our hands." Yuck! What a lesson for the kids.

HOW TO AVOID ILLNESS ON A CRUISE:

1. Take "Airborne" and "Vitamin C" lozenges beginning 10 days before sailing. Avoid contact with people that you suspect may have any type of illness, and wash hands on the hour with antibacterial soap, and before eating, drinking, touching face, and after leaving the restroom. Avoid doctor offices, dentists, making hospital visits, or entering other people's homes. Never touch a shopping cart in the grocery store. Do not shake hands with anyone for any reason.

2. Use hand sanitizer liberally, and add additional hospital grade rubbing alcohol to the sanitizer to increase alcohol content. Norovirus can be killed with constant alcohol exposure of three to five minutes. When convienient, put bleach in a small pan and dip hands in it and then let them air dry.

3. When boarding an airplane, wipe down your tray table, seatbelt, armrests, air vent, and reading light button with Clorox bleach wipes. Repeat this half way through the flight.

4. While on the airplane, avoid people around you that are coughing, sneezing, etc. if at all possible. Never directly face such a person to avoid them breathing on you. Do not touch the seat or anything in the seat pocket.

5. While on the flight, don't touch anything that is not sterilized, and avoid the lavatory. Sanitize hands with bleach wipes liberally before taking any food and beverage service, and minimize hand-to-food contact by not eating the part of the food you touch.

4. After landing, wash hands for at least one minute with antibacterial soap, and include arms and elbows, and face. Never put hands near face. Use paper towels only and use a paper towel to turn off the water and open the door.

5. Change clothes as soon as possible, and place in a plastic bag. Do not wear these airplane clothes again until washed. Take a shower as soon as possible.

6. After onboard the ship, sanitize everything in the cabin upon arrival. Do not trust shipboard sanitation:

A. Lysol spray all bedspreads, couches, carpets, walls, and chairs. (Does not stain).

B. Bleach all bathroom surfaces using a spray bottle including floor, shower, toilet, sink, faucets, and walls. Cruise ship bathrooms are usually waterproof because everything is plastic, so basically just soak the whole room with bleach or Lysol. Clean the mirror.

C. Use Lysol wipes for all wooden surfaces, table tops, night stands, lamps, TV remotes, telephones, light switches, thermostat, door handles (inside and out), and closet hangers. Lysol will kill most forms of norovirus with 10 minute contact.

D. Use a water and spic-and-span solution to scrub balcony floor. Lysol wipe the balcony railing, and Lysol spray all balcony furniture.

E. Use Lysol wipes for plastic "Do Not Disturb" signs, ice buckets, mini-fridges, and other objects.

F. Lysol spray the bedspread, sheets, pillows, and furnature daily, and don’t sit on the bed. Bring your own pillow.

G. VACATE STATEROOM FOR FIVE HOURS OR UNTIL CLEANING ODOR SUBSIDES. LEAVE BALCONY DOOR OPEN AND BRING SMALL PORTABLE FANS TO AID IN AIR CIRCULATION.

7. Be sensible while on the cruise. Bring bottles of antibacterial soap for personal use, and use antibacterial bar soap for showering. Pour Listerine on your toothbrush before each use to clean. Wash hands before entering the buffet and again after putting your plate on your table before eating. Use a napkin for handling buffet spoons, salt and pepper shakers, and pressing the ice and water buttons. Using the buffet is a big gamble, so if possible, it is best to avoid it all together. Stay away from anyone that may be ill. NEVER TOUCH HANDRAILS. Wash hands when entering and when leaving your stateroom, before eating, drinking, smoking, touching face, and before and after using the restroom. Use hospital grade hand sanitizers and cleansers liberally and often. Use bleach wipes in the dining room or buffet before eating and after touching the bread basket. NEVER USE HOT TUBS AND DO NOT SUBMERGE HEAD IN SWIMMING POOLS. Shower after swimming onboard or ashore. Shower at lease twice daily, especially after shore excursions.

8. Never use the public restrooms, and do not open doors to exterior decks or public rooms without a napkin, paper towel, or other barrier. Your elbow can be used as a last resort to open doors, but be sure to wash it. DO NOT PUSH ELEVATOR BUTTONS WITH HANDS OR USE HOUSE PHONES. Avoid touching objects in the public areas. Only your clothes should ever touch a chair or a lounge. NEVER WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES TWICE to avoid contamination. Do not use bathrobes or beach towels. Sanitize your shoes daily. If you are near someone who coughs or becomes ill, hold you breath until you can get at least 25 feet away.

9. If there is an outbreak onboard, limit your time in public areas as much as possible. Use hospital grade face masks and clear plastic gloves to protect yourself. Eat only in the dining room or use room service, and never enter the buffet or swimming pools. Before leaving the stateroom know your destination, and take the shortest route. Do not use elevators as they are miniture sick rooms full of germs. Stay in your cabin and on open decks, instead of inside the ship. If the outbreak is servere, use room service for all meals, and stay in your cabin to avoid getting sick. Always bring your own medicines and a first aid kit.

10. Have a great, germ free cruise vacation!

At-A-Glance List of Needed Supplies: All supplies fit into a medium sized suitcase to be checked. This extra bag is worth carrying around considering the alternative.

1. One gallon of industrial strength bleach.

2. One 20 ounce bottle of lysol per person in stateroom. (2 bottles per stateroom minimum).

3. Two containers of Clorox Bleach wipes.

4. One container of Lysol sanitizing wipes.

5. Four 12 ounce bottles of Purell hand sanitizer with added alcohol content.

6. One bottle of hospital strength rubbing alcohol.

7. One bottle of Windex window and mirror cleaner.

8. Small fan.

9. One box of 100 latex gloves in case of outbreak.

10. One box of hospital quality face masks.

11. Small bucket.

12. One bottle of Spic-and-Span.

13. Cleaning towels.

14. Two packages of paper towels.

15. Two spray bottles.

Gee Whiz with all these requirements and the Airline policies of 50lb limit.....How could one pack clothes? Maybe cruises will all have to be for nudists only:eek: :D

Gee Whiz with all these requirements and the Airline policies of 50lb limit.....How could one pack clothes? Maybe cruises will all have to be for nudists only:eek: :D

NNNNOOOOOO!!!.Please let me be sick from NLV...Just don't let 'em go nude. :rolleyes: :)

HOW TO AVOID ILLNESS ON A CRUISE:

1. Take "Airborne" and "Vitamin C" lozenges beginning 10 days before sailing. Avoid contact with people that you suspect may have any type of illness, and wash hands on the hour with antibacterial soap, and before eating, drinking, touching face, and after leaving the restroom. Avoid doctor offices, dentists, making hospital visits, or entering other people's homes. Never touch a shopping cart in the grocery store. Do not shake hands with anyone for any reason.

2. Use hand sanitizer liberally, and add additional hospital grade rubbing alcohol to the sanitizer to increase alcohol content. Norovirus can be killed with constant alcohol exposure of three to five minutes. When convienient, put bleach in a small pan and dip hands in it and then let them air dry.

3. When boarding an airplane, wipe down your tray table, seatbelt, armrests, air vent, and reading light button with Clorox bleach wipes. Repeat this half way through the flight.

4. While on the airplane, avoid people around you that are coughing, sneezing, etc. if at all possible. Never directly face such a person to avoid them breathing on you. Do not touch the seat or anything in the seat pocket.

5. While on the flight, don't touch anything that is not sterilized, and avoid the lavatory. Sanitize hands with bleach wipes liberally before taking any food and beverage service, and minimize hand-to-food contact by not eating the part of the food you touch.

4. After landing, wash hands for at least one minute with antibacterial soap, and include arms and elbows, and face. Never put hands near face. Use paper towels only and use a paper towel to turn off the water and open the door.

5. Change clothes as soon as possible, and place in a plastic bag. Do not wear these airplane clothes again until washed. Take a shower as soon as possible.

6. After onboard the ship, sanitize everything in the cabin upon arrival. Do not trust shipboard sanitation:

A. Lysol spray all bedspreads, couches, carpets, walls, and chairs. (Does not stain).

B. Bleach all bathroom surfaces using a spray bottle including floor, shower, toilet, sink, faucets, and walls. Cruise ship bathrooms are usually waterproof because everything is plastic, so basically just soak the whole room with bleach or Lysol. Clean the mirror.

C. Use Lysol wipes for all wooden surfaces, table tops, night stands, lamps, TV remotes, telephones, light switches, thermostat, door handles (inside and out), and closet hangers. Lysol will kill most forms of norovirus with 10 minute contact.

D. Use a water and spic-and-span solution to scrub balcony floor. Lysol wipe the balcony railing, and Lysol spray all balcony furniture.

E. Use Lysol wipes for plastic "Do Not Disturb" signs, ice buckets, mini-fridges, and other objects.

F. Lysol spray the bedspread, sheets, pillows, and furnature daily, and don’t sit on the bed. Bring your own pillow.

G. VACATE STATEROOM FOR FIVE HOURS OR UNTIL CLEANING ODOR SUBSIDES. LEAVE BALCONY DOOR OPEN AND BRING SMALL PORTABLE FANS TO AID IN AIR CIRCULATION.

7. Be sensible while on the cruise. Bring bottles of antibacterial soap for personal use, and use antibacterial bar soap for showering. Pour Listerine on your toothbrush before each use to clean. Wash hands before entering the buffet and again after putting your plate on your table before eating. Use a napkin for handling buffet spoons, salt and pepper shakers, and pressing the ice and water buttons. Using the buffet is a big gamble, so if possible, it is best to avoid it all together. Stay away from anyone that may be ill. NEVER TOUCH HANDRAILS. Wash hands when entering and when leaving your stateroom, before eating, drinking, smoking, touching face, and before and after using the restroom. Use hospital grade hand sanitizers and cleansers liberally and often. Use bleach wipes in the dining room or buffet before eating and after touching the bread basket. NEVER USE HOT TUBS AND DO NOT SUBMERGE HEAD IN SWIMMING POOLS. Shower after swimming onboard or ashore. Shower at lease twice daily, especially after shore excursions.

8. Never use the public restrooms, and do not open doors to exterior decks or public rooms without a napkin, paper towel, or other barrier. Your elbow can be used as a last resort to open doors, but be sure to wash it. DO NOT PUSH ELEVATOR BUTTONS WITH HANDS OR USE HOUSE PHONES. Avoid touching objects in the public areas. Only your clothes should ever touch a chair or a lounge. NEVER WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES TWICE to avoid contamination. Do not use bathrobes or beach towels. Sanitize your shoes daily. If you are near someone who coughs or becomes ill, hold you breath until you can get at least 25 feet away.

9. If there is an outbreak onboard, limit your time in public areas as much as possible. Use hospital grade face masks and clear plastic gloves to protect yourself. Eat only in the dining room or use room service, and never enter the buffet or swimming pools. Before leaving the stateroom know your destination, and take the shortest route. Do not use elevators as they are miniture sick rooms full of germs. Stay in your cabin and on open decks, instead of inside the ship. If the outbreak is servere, use room service for all meals, and stay in your cabin to avoid getting sick. Always bring your own medicines and a first aid kit.

10. Have a great, germ free cruise vacation!

At-A-Glance List of Needed Supplies: All supplies fit into a medium sized suitcase to be checked. This extra bag is worth carrying around considering the alternative.

1. One gallon of industrial strength bleach.

2. One 20 ounce bottle of lysol per person in stateroom. (2 bottles per stateroom minimum).

3. Two containers of Clorox Bleach wipes.

4. One container of Lysol sanitizing wipes.

5. Four 12 ounce bottles of Purell hand sanitizer with added alcohol content.

6. One bottle of hospital strength rubbing alcohol.

7. One bottle of Windex window and mirror cleaner.

8. Small fan.

9. One box of 100 latex gloves in case of outbreak.

10. One box of hospital quality face masks.

11. Small bucket.

12. One bottle of Spic-and-Span.

13. Cleaning towels.

14. Two packages of paper towels.

15. Two spray bottles.

This is a joke right? I'd rather be sick for 24 hours than do all of that crap!!

This is a joke right? I'd rather be sick for 24 hours than do all of that crap!!

This is 100% anecdotal, but life is as it is. I just think that hiding from germs makes you more vulnerable. I cannot live my life in fear of germs. That said, I am busy raising a kid with OCD. He cleans everything. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Archived