Wind Star Transfers

SnakeBitten

We are planning a cruise on the Wind Star next March and need some info on transfers. How long does a shuttle take between the airport (SJO) and Puerto Caldera? Our flight arrives at 12:58pm on sail date. Any recommendation on shuttle companies would be much appreciated! Thanks! Len

We used Coach Costa Rica for our return trip to the airport from Puerto Caldera. They picked the four of us up right on time in an almost new LARGE passenger van. We had a late afternoon departure from San Jose, so we arranged a tour of the University of San Jose (very well planned) and lunch in a typical Costa Rican restaurant. We had a driver, English-speaking guide and a guide -trainee. All were excellent.

I believe the drive from the ship took a little under two hours, although we did not go straight to the airport. We paid about $200 for the entire day for the four of us, plus tip. (We bought lunch for everyone-our choice) The guide also showed us how to save the $27 per person departure tax! The airport is a bit of a nightmare, so allow plenty of time.

In contrast, we used the ship transfer to Puerto Limon (ours was a trans-canal intinerary) It was a disaster. What should have been about 3 to 3 1/2 hours turned into a 6 hour journey with 4 unscheduled stops at various places along the way. Three separate buses had been chartered and departed LATE from the Hotel Intercontinental. I would NOT choose this again.

The roads in Costa Rica are not near as beautiful as the scenery.

Coach Costa Rica has a website. I highly recommend their service.

Beth

The trip from San Jose airport to the harbor takes about two hours. On Saturday you may encounter a lot of traffic on the narrow road. The ship typically departs at about 5:00 pm. So . . . . with custom's check through, etc. I think you may be asking for trouble.

I would highly recommend that you consider arriving a day earlier if at all possible, We did that when we did the Panama Canal trip from Costa Rica. The ship's transfer bus was already booked full, so we negotiated a deal with the cab driver who took us from the airport to the hotel. He promply picked us up at noon the following day and for eighty dollars delivered us nicely at the dock side. We were told later that the trip typically could cost about $120.

I always plan on arriving a day or two early for a cruise. If you try and arrive the day of the cruise, you risk the flight being late and missing departure. I have seen travel agents miss the start of a cruise because their flight was late or they had trouble with luggage etc.

If you want more information, look at the airline site and see what the "on time" record is of the flights you will be taking. I admit that a late flight is anthing over 15 minutes (I believe) but it does show that if you need an ontime arrival to make the ship, you are in trouble.

I've reserved with them for my transfers to Windstar in January, and am pleased to learn that they will include sightseeing along the way for no additional charge for the extra time thus spent, except for entrance fees to anything requiring one. The price per transfer is $110, with pick-up at my hotel and drop-off at the ship (& vice versa at the end).

I am delighted at the prospect of having personalized sightseeing by an English-speaking driver/guide who will show me what I want to see. I had a similar arrangement in Rome 3-4 years ago, and the cost was 3x as much -- it fell into the category of "expensive and worth it" -- I saw an incredible number of Rome's highlights in just a few hours, then was delivered to my ship at Civitavecchia at exactly the best time.

• 2 months later...
We are about to book our transfers with Coach Costa Rica. Did you have to pay a deposit of half the cost? I don't mind a deposit, just wanted to double-check as the process is pretty extensive.

Thanks

Yes, we paid a 50% deposit. We decided to arrive one day early. They recommended a nice place to stay and made our hotel reservations for one night in San Jose. They will pick us up at the airport and take us to the hotel. Saturday will be a sight seeing tour for the day, then take us to the port later in the afternoon. The following Saturday, they will transfer us to the airport. I thought the cost of this service was very reasonable. Have a great trip! SB

SB - Thank you. When I read about the whole process for a credit card deposit, I got a bit nervous.
I didn't like their credit card procedure either, so I mailed a check to their Florida address and received a receipt via email about 2 weeks later. SB

Have not looked into Coach Costa Rica so have not seen the credit card procedures you are talking about. However, if you are concerned about them you are probably better off putting the deposit on a credit card. If something goes wrong, you have recourse through the credit card company by disputing the charge. If you send a check, once it is cashed you are out of luck in getting a refund if there is a problem.

lovecruisingtoo - I have no concern about the company itself. They are very highly recommended here. According to the company, in order for a credit card to be accepted in Costa Rica without the cardholder actually being in the country, there are a lot of requirements. The ones that concern me are that you need to fax a copy of the credit card, front and back, and a copy of your passport or drivers license. I'm positive that Coach Costa Rica will show up and provide the services. But things happen with faxes and paper documents. So that is what makes me nervous. I'd be nervous faxing this stuff to a Ritz Carlton, so it has nothing to do with the company.

The other options are a wire transfer or a check. Since checks can get lost, I'm going to look into the cost to send a wire transfer.

That said, you are 100% right, that if my concern were with the company itself, a credit card is the best approach. Thank you for your comments.

Sheila

We thought the credit card process was a little convoluted too, but it worked out OK in the end. I was unsure about using the credit card, but our experience was fine.

The driver had an old-fashioned card swiper on the van, and he was able to collect our balance due at the end of the day.

Beth

Thanks Beth. I was hoping you would chime in. We went with the wire transfer, though it was a little more than I wanted to pay. But piece of mind is worth a lot.

I have to say that the sales office is great to work with. Fanny is now sending me "Hugs" in her emails! Just too funny.

Archived