Could we start a list of perks that were discontinued?

People smoking in the dining room & show lounges. (glad to see it go)

The cruise lines are now collecting the cruise cards upon disembarking the ship. (sorry to see that - My collection is now incomplete)

LOL...sad but true!

Actually will NEVER forget when for our last formal night aboard S.S. Seabreaze a man showed up in a vest over his NAKED HAIRY TORSO!!!! :eek:

No, I don't think it was a joke or a bet!!!!

Oh, that was formal night? I thought it was flannel night. :eek: :D :D :D

Only been cruising for 10 years, but what a severe drop in quality of service...and that's someone that first cruised on a cheapy-cheapy Thomson cruiseship. Our last cruise on Carnival was an ordeal if you ever wanted to get a drink from a waiter in any of the lounges or by the pool.

Food quality has definitely gone down hill. Meal times used to be a gastronimcal delight, now it's 'over its station' family restaurant fare.

These days you seem to be nickled and dimed to death. Temporary Tattoos ($20), popcorn ($1), soda card ($45 pp/pw), spa treatments that are only $200.

For the caviar lovers out there, on Carnival Liberty (as in liberty from service and liberty from quality), you can have it at $45 an ounce at Harry's speciality restaurant ($30 surcharge).

Carnival also give you pool towels in your rooms. Great idea, but if someone steals it you have to pay $22.

Something I really miss is the organized card events (like bridge, cribbage etc) and the enrichment lectures/events: learning to foxtrot, quilling, or how to publish your novel. On recent cruises 'fun' appears to be stupid passenger-embarassment shows, loud music and plenty of alcohol. And mainly so that they can create your 'holiday video' to sell to you at the end of the cruise.

I remember puzzle sheets being available each day from the library (which by the way are getting smaller and smaller and less stocked on each cruise).

I do tire of screaming kids running amok, and of parents that couldn't care less. Why do we now accept underdressed people in the restaurants: bikinis should not be allowed, and 54" hairy stomachs MUST be covered. It doesn't take much to put a wrap on, or a shirt.

I shudder to think what the next 10 years will bring us.

I'm wondering if the pool towel delivered to your cabin is a way of the cruise lines trying their best to deter people from chair hogging???

That's the nicest way of describing it, but I suspect it's a well conceived plan to get people to spend another $22. On the last Carnival Liberty trip there were a lot of 'reserving' of seats and no enforcement of the rules.

Chair hogging isn't a problem once you deal with it. At a hotel in Spain all of the deckchairs were reserved by 5am. At 9am a tourist went out to the pool, picked up all the towels and threw them into the pool. It never happened again.

I sat at a bar for nearly two hours on one ship and saw the deck chair untouched so I simply got up, removed the towel and gave it to the bar saying, "looks like someone has misplaced their towel." I lay there for 3 hours and no-one came up to me asking for 'their' deckchair.

In the late 80's on CARNIVAL the waiter would slice my banana for me at breakfast in the dining room.!! wow . now the diningroom breakfast experience has defintely become unpersonable. I try to be understanding from an economical point of view.

Things I preferred on P & O Australia to Carnival:

Tea made from leaves and boiling water

A decent breakfast in the dining room

Afternoon tea in the dining room (not in a bar where there weren't enough seats)

A dedicated wine waiter in the dining room who actually could bring you a bottle of wine.

Theme parties (Line advised what clothes to bring in ticket pack)

Things I prefer on Carnival to P & O Australia

A decent gym

A well designed lido deck buffet restaurant

A fridge in the stateroom

A balcony

A double bed

The cruise lines are now collecting the cruise cards upon disembarking the ship. (sorry to see that - My collection is now incomplete)

Im not sure what lines you refer to taking the cards but for both

my NCL cruises and the RCCL I just took last week, they let us keep

the cards;)

They've never collected our cards.

I think the amenities like trap shooting and golfing off the ship were discountinued due to environmental concerns

I imagine the lines would consider trap shooting a security concern nowadays. Can't have sportsmen handling firearms onboard ships, you know. How politically incorrect.

Food quality has definitely gone down hill. Meal times used to be a gastronimcal delight, now it's 'over its station' family restaurant fare.

Unfortunately I have to agree with that one!

These days you seem to be nickled and dimed to death. Temporary Tattoos ($20), popcorn ($1), soda card ($45 pp/pw), spa treatments that are only $200.

Have to agree with that one too.

Carnival also give you pool towels in your rooms. Great idea, but if someone steals it you have to pay $22.

That's probably part of their plan. Generate revenue by selling more stolen/lost replacement towels. Short term gain at the risk of irritating passengers.

I do tire of screaming kids running amok, and of parents that couldn't care less. Why do we now accept underdressed people in the restaurants: bikinis should not be allowed, and 54" hairy stomachs MUST be covered. It doesn't take much to put a wrap on, or a shirt.

Bikinis should be allowed everywhere. :D :D

I shudder to think what the next 10 years will bring us.

Bryan

Most cruise lines nowadays design their cruises and their ships for the ‘mass market’. To me this is ok. It allows more people to enjoy vacations onboard a ship at a price they can afford.

Compare the cost of a 10 night Mediterranean cruise now (as a percentage of the average wage) to 20 years ago.

Notice I say “vacations onboard a ship” not ‘cruises’ because this is what they really are.

Don’t get me wrong. We sail on RCI, HAL etc because of the low cost and we accept that many of the things which used to be included in the price you now have to pay extra for.

If we want the true luxurious cruising experience of yesteryear it is still available on the more up-market lines like Crystal and Silversea.

When did they start collecting cruise cards? Are all ships doing that now?

When did they start collecting cruise cards? Are all ships doing that now?

I've been cruising since 1993. They have never collected my cards. Why would they? They have your name and table number embossed/printed on them and can't be reissued, unless perhaps they melt them down. That's a lot of work when the new blank cards are cheap. Makes a neat momento of your cruise vacation.

I preface this by saying I first cruised when I was 7 years old:

AHH the Good old days:

• P&O Arcadia 1972 ships used to throw trash overboard into the sea, without incinerating it first (as a kid I would watch them do it and thought it was cool – now I know a little better).;)
  • Raw sewerage dumped into the ocean because the ships did have wastewater treatment:p
  • Bathrooms and showers down the hall from the staterooms(yes I sailed 2 class ships).
  • No balcony staterooms
  • Fire doors when during drills would mysteriously shut and smash hands (saw that happen 2 times and glad it wasn’t me).
  • The wait and cooking staff that used to catch their ‘dinner’ off the side of the ship and cook it in their rooms. You could smell the curry throughout the ship:eek: :eek: :eek:
  • But really I miss those Tugboats.:D

September 2006 after a great day in Vladivostok Russia, many Vladivostok citizens came down to see the Princess off, standing in the cold and wind awaiting the sail a way. One of the passengers had some streamers{likely for the champagne party) and began to toss them to the people on the dock. They grabbed them and hung on until the streamers broke and ship pulled away. It was very poignant and something that I will always remember. Happy travels.

In the early 80s and back, there were no cruise cards. You actually had a cabin key like you have for your house, and paid for what you bought at a bar or anywhere else, in cash on the spot.

My very first cruise was on the Dolphin SeaBreeze in 1991. It was nothing compared to some of the things I've read here, but I loved it. I also treasure this thread for allowing me to vicariously reminisce over things I knew existed on cruise ships, but will probably never experience personally.

So what do I miss most?

A world in which my life isn't touched on a daily basis by the existence of terrorists and management consultants.

I'm browsing this thread while watching the Marlins losing to the Mets. One thing that came to my mid, that I don't thonk was posted, was on NCL. I remember everyone being givem Aquavit to drink while being led in toasts of skol.....SKOL.....SKOL. I think that was a tradition when crossing the equator, but may have been done at other times too.

• 4 weeks later...

I"m wondering what ever happen to the galley tour? My husband is a chef and as minor as it may have been we enjoyed galley tours. Where did they go ? Health laws stop them maybe or too much work for the staff to have guest interrupt their production? Just wondering.

seagurll, that blows my mind! I have always had galley tours for years. So much to the point that I do not even participate anymore! Maybe you have to ask....I never had...the just post in the daily news that that are available, and call the front desk to make a reservation.

Just got off the Carnival Triumph. They had a galley tour that was 1+ hour. This was just for Concierge members - (10+ Carnival cruises). The Maitre'd led us after a good 20 minutes of talking about the galley, how waiters submit orders, etc. Aside from a LOT of stainless steel, we saw more than other galley tours I've been on. I am not aware of all the ships offering this though!

I realize my relative age puts me at an disadvantage here, but I have sailed on some real classics, so I'll add a few to the list. I miss the European crew (no, I mean in the dining rooms and stateroom quarters too), the real parade of Baked Alaska, an authentic afternoon tea, and the high level of service you got. Clearly, we have other valuable amenities now, but some of us liked it the other way too. Thanks for sharing all...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not trying to be negative here because crusie lines have added services and attractions over the years that may make up for these losses. Also I have only been on 8 cruises on various lines. Some may have been discontinued on some lines and not others. Some of these things I don't miss at all. Also I am very pleased that mini-refrigerators are becoming common. If you know of others please post. But these are the things that I think were discontinued:

anytime lemonade

gifts like fanny packs and win a cruise contests for repeat cruisers

fruit basket in the rooms

water color prints (suitable for framing) of your ship

soft serve ice cream

24 hour pizza station

some midnight buffets

win a cruise on HAL's Veendam, RCCL vision of the seas and grandeur of the seas.

NCL majesty,rccl visions,rccl grandeur,carnival glory, veendam-- all had soft serve ice cream.

and all though i didn't make it to any of these ships midnight buffet they had them, i heard mixed reviews about them, but all agreed they were very pretty.

the ships still have free coffee,tea (iced and hot) and i have found lemonade of them as well in a few differant places, but you have to look for them(not sure why)

hope this helps someone

reading through these post, there are so many things that have changed over the years. and so many new things have come along.

this ones comin' and the beginning of the end is already in place.

the "BUFFET" will become the meals included with your cruise, and all "table service" dinning will cost extra.

the traditional early and late seating diners have been moved to smaller dinning rooms, with larger anytime dinning and optional themed dinning rooms showing in greater and greater numbers on newer ships. some new ships have as many as 10 dinning options.

I'm not against anytime or optional dinning. it's just a change that will COST YOU (already does) and soon we'll be remembering the days when table service was included with the cost your cruise, not a $12-$30 a meal option.

oh well, enjoy the old style while it last, the clock is ticking down on this one!!!

we'll continue to cruise none-the-less.

and yes, we do miss our SEA-LEGS. that was fun!!!