globalizer

Our plans have changed. My hubby is going to Liverpool this month and is spending a long wkend with his friend as he has to go over for business anyway. So we will not be going to Liverpool before our cruise.

We have also switched cruises-we are now doing the Sept.2007 TA on the Constellation and this ship leaves from Dover.

This is hubby's plan-we fly into London on a Tues nite-so we arrive in London Wed. morning-we book a hotel near the London airport for 2 nites. Wed. we rest up from jet lag and the time differance. Thurs. he is going to book us a daytour to Stonehenge and Bath-he found one that will pick us up at our hotel.

Fri. morning we check out of our hotel and take a train to Dover-where we will tour this ship's museum. Fri nite we will stay in a hotel in Dover and then Sat. morning we check out and take a taxi to the cruise port.

Now he is ASSUMING we can get a train to Dover-is this doable?

Now he is ASSUMING we can get a train to Dover-is this doable?
The answer is yes, but the amount of hassle depends on which airport.

But why do you want a hotel near the airport for two nights? If you're staying one night near the airport because of a late flight in or an early flight out, that would make sense. But you'd probably be rather better off either going to a hotel in town for two nights, or staying well outside London altogether. Airport hotels tend to be expensive, at least at normal public rates.

The answer is yes, but the amount of hassle depends on which airport.

But why do you want a hotel near the airport for two nights? If you're staying one night near the airport because of a late flight in or an early flight out, that would make sense. But you'd probably be rather better off either going to a hotel in town for two nights, or staying well outside London altogether. Airport hotels tend to be expensive, at least at normal public rates.

Thanks-we know NOT to book at the airport. I think hubby thought we might book the transfer through Celebrity I guess- but there are trains to Dover?

Maybe we should just book toward Dover and stay at the same place all 3 nights.

I think hubby thought we might book the transfer through Celebrity I guess- but there are trains to Dover?
Oh yes, absolutely: There are direct trains to Dover Priory from both Charing Cross and Victoria stations. During the day, two an hour from each station, with journey times broadly similar from each (between 1½ and 2 hours).

momofmeg,

You will have a much better choice of Hotels in London,rather than Dover,and more to do and see.

well I guess we are back at the 2 night London thing then. I don't mind taking a car service to a hotel when we land in London-we will just budget for that. Goodness if it saves us on the hotel price it will be worth it!we got a wonderful deal on the Sept Celebrity Constellation repo. 2007 -so we can "splurge" in other areas-and as I said doing the carservice to a less expensive hotel will actually save us money overall anyway- My hubby really wants to see Stonehenge-and it may not be feasiable from Dover unless we take a train ride back to London huh?

I guess we will still try to spend the last night in Dover-he wants to go to this ship's museum there. I don't really care- I wanted a cruise that would have stops in France and Ireland and I got it!

thanks guys for sharing your knowlege and helping me out. Now if you ever come to Atlanta, GA, USA I can help you on this end!

My hubby really wants to see Stonehenge-and it may not be feasiable from Dover unless we take a train ride back to London huh?
No, don't try to do Stonehenge if you've already reached Dover. It's barely worth the effort starting from London; IMHO it's only worth going to if you're somewhere in the area. The idea of visiting it is more attractive than the reality, although if you are close enough to make the stop worthwhile, then it's definitely something you should do at least once.

No, don't try to do Stonehenge if you've already reached Dover. It's barely worth the effort starting from London; IMHO it's only worth going to if you're somewhere in the area. The idea of visiting it is more attractive than the reality, although if you are close enough to make the stop worthwhile, then it's definitely something you should do at least once.

Hubby really wants to do it-he was close by on one of his business trips but he could not find a tour of it and did not want to rent a car to take himself.

We will go to Stonehenge and Bath from London before we reach Dover-we will spend two nights in London-the first night will be for me- anyway- getting over jet lag. The next day we will take the tour-it is $100 US for each of us and they will pick us up at our hotel.

Then we come back spend that second night in London and the next morning we will have a car service take us to the trainstation,take a train to Dover, get a carservice or taxi to our hotel and spend the night there. My hubby wants to go to that ship's museum there.

I realize we probally will not see much on that tour-I have done them before and they do seem to say-"here it is" and then "lets go"-but my husband really wants to go there.

I also realize when I board ship I will be glad I can finially relax- I am sure-at least that will be relaxing for me!

This is first class advice from Globaliser (as always).

Momofmeg, where is your husband on his business trip, could he get a taxi?

I am a history nut and visit some historical site or another most weeks but would not go far out of my way for Stonehenge. This is to the poor presentation rather than anything else, but I still think it is disappointing.

Nick.

Hello momofmeg,

We'll be on the same transatlantic crossing.

I'm not aware of a maritime museum in Dover. It's definitely something I would like to see (as something of a ship nut/ history nut myself), but none of the guidebooks I've consulted make any mention of such a place. Are you sure your husband isn't thinking of the SOUTHAMPTON Maritime Museum?

(I believe there is also a maritime museum in Cobh, which is on our itinerary as well.)

At the risk of confusing you a bit further: See if your Bath tour includes a stop at Avebury. The standing stones there are quite impressive, & you can wander around them & go right up to them, which you cannot do at Stonehenge. Avebury is a pleasant village as well. The overall experience is less touristy than Stonehenge.

And finally, yes, a taxi will be all you need to get from your London hotel to Charing Cross or Victoria station. The old London taxis (the real thing, not the minicabs) are more spacious & comfortable than anything we have on this side of the Pond, & the drivers have "The Knowledge" (I'll let someone else explain that!:)) & never get lost.

Cheers,

John

Whereabouts in London do you think you'll be staying? A taxi is likely to be all you need.

Isn't a car service a little less then a taxi? That is why we thought we might possibly do that.

I just do not want to ride the tube with all our bags. I don't mind the train-going to Dover-since we will be on it an hour or so-I just AM NOT going on the tube and changing tube trains a couple of times etc. with bags. We have done that before-it was a big headache and because we did not know where we were going-we came out of the tube station (Earl's Court) the WRONG direction and ended up taking a taxi for 3 blocks because we had stupidly walked 3 blocks in the wrong direction. I would just rather budget for that.

But I do not mind taking a taxi or car service from the airport to the hotel and then when we leave for Dover taking one again to the train station and once we arrive in Dover-gettin another taxi to our hotel and the next morning a taxi again to the port to board ship. that will save us a litle plus I liked riding the trains and seeing the countryside.

As far as hubby's business trip-it was actually a seminar, he is in the computer field and every so often he is sent to classes to get "updated". He has been fortunate enough to take his classes in Britian twice.

This was near Oxford I think he said-where he was he had access to public transportation. He was told by his instructor that there were no public transportation to Stonehenge - even though it was not far away-he would have to rent a car. I do not know why he just did not do that and rent a car. He did go into Bath.

To the other post-I will see where hubby got the info on that museum. I am sure he found it somewhere on the internet. Hopefully he book marked it.

Hello momofmeg,

I'm not aware of a maritime museum in Dover. It's definitely something I would like to see (as something of a ship nut/ history nut myself), but none of the guidebooks I've consulted make any mention of such a place. Are you sure your husband isn't thinking of the SOUTHAMPTON Maritime Museum?

(I believe there is also a maritime museum in Cobh, which is on our itinerary as well.)

At the risk of confusing you a bit further: See if your Bath tour includes a stop at Avebury. The standing stones there are quite impressive, & you can wander around them & go right up to them, which you cannot do at Stonehenge. Avebury is a pleasant village as well. The overall experience is less touristy than Stonehenge.

And finally, yes, a taxi will be all you need to get from your London hotel to Charing Cross or Victoria station. The old London taxis (the real thing, not the minicabs) are more spacious & comfortable than anything we have on this side of the Pond, & the drivers have "The Knowledge" (I'll let someone else explain that!:)) & never get lost.

Cheers,

John

I addressed you in the other post but I was going to say wouldn't it be nice if that museum was near where the ship docked-that would be great. then we could just go to it that morning.

Isn't a car service a little less then a taxi?
Not necessarily. Plus, depending on where you are, it may take longer. If you're staying somewhere that empty cabs cruise past all the time, there is nothing faster than hailing one, piling into it, and going where you're going. When I take cabs in London, that's the number one advantage of them. A car service has to be arranged ahead of time, usually with a fixed pick-up time. That's less flexible than a cab hailed at the exact time that you're ready. And many major hotels often have cabs waiting outside them, anyway.

Mom of meg,

We are with you also on this cruise. We did this same cruise Sept 2005. I was not impressed with Stonehedge. I really enjoyed Bath. We did a tour that include Windsor, Bath and Stonehedge. This time around we are staying right outside of London in a B&B for 4 nights than headed to Dover for 2 nights. I'm with you when it comes to handling all my luggage on the Tube, rather have car service take me to our home away from home than tube it to everywhere in London I want to see.

Pam

Mom of meg,

We are with you also on this cruise. We did this same cruise Sept 2005. I was not impressed with Stonehedge. I really enjoyed Bath. We did a tour that include Windsor, Bath and Stonehedge. This time around we are staying right outside of London in a B&B for 4 nights than headed to Dover for 2 nights. I'm with you when it comes to handling all my luggage on the Tube, rather have car service take me to our home away from home than tube it to everywhere in London I want to see.

Pam

well we can't stay that long Pam. My husband doe snot have enough vacation time. tha tis why we will fly in on a Tues. night-so we will have Wed. thru. Fri nights in London.

I have heard that said about Stonehenge-but you know my husband was crazy about that stupid Roman wall we saw near that tube station we took I think it was to get to the Tower of London? My memory is faulty on that as it has been 7 years.

How much does the bed and breakfast run? I hope that does not sound "nosey" or "low class".. We are just "average folks" and this cruise is a really big deal for us-we are celebrating 25 years of marriage.

As you can see from my signature-we do not do cruises like this normally.

Kewelguy told me about a hotel that we could get for around $150 US that was close to Harrods and that tube station.

Will you have access to public transportation at that B & B? Maybe we could consider that.

You know if we could stay longer I would love to stay at a B &B in Bath.

Hello momofmeg,

Cheers,

John

John I had it wrong- my hubby said he was considering that when we were booked on the JOS out of Harwick. What he wants to see in Dover is Dover Castle.

I am sorry-my memory is very faulty and I do that alot.

Hubby took his seminars in Swindon-he said- and he did go to something called the Stone Circle in Avesdery? So I had that wrong too, Globilizer.

My SIL actually took a Chaucer class at Oxford one summer- she is a high school English teacher-I just remember her and my husband discusssing mutal things they toured-which is why I thought he was near Oxford.

I guess I should check my facts before I post. then maybe I would not look a complete idiot.

The name of the place is Bay Tree House go to Trip Advisor and read the reviews. Thye have been so helpful with everything and we have the rooms already booked. They are a 4 mintue walk to the tube which will take you into London in 20 mintues. We are also average travelers and looking for a great place. This is place is running 59lbs. If you inquiry tell them Pam sent you there way. They have answered evey question I have and I feel like I know them already.

Pam

The name of the place is Bay Tree House go to Trip Advisor and read the reviews. Thye have been so helpful with everything and we have the rooms already booked. They are a 4 mintue walk to the tube which will take you into London in 20 mintues. We are also average travelers and looking for a great place. This is place is running 59lbs. If you inquiry tell them Pam sent you there way. They have answered evey question I have and I feel like I know them already.

Pam

Well 59 pounds is around $100 in US-ofcourse that varies-but even back in 99 I think we spent $1000 in US money for 7 nights on our hotel. So that is more then reasonable to me.

As long as there are not 6 rooms sharing one bath or something I think I would love that.

as far s how far into London for the tube-my hubby says he wants to run to a couple of spots and revist that visit that first day. So he will just be happy he can take public transportation.I think I will simply be resting myself. I may wnat him to take me to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner though that night. So I guess I will use the tube some too.

thank you so much for the information.

John I had it wrong- my hubby said he was considering that when we were booked on the JOS out of Harwick. What he wants to see in Dover is Dover Castle.

Ah, that clarifies things a lot. You had me rummaging through half a dozen guidebooks yesterday afternoon searching for information about the non-existent Dover Maritime Museum!

Yes, Dover Castle is the number one sight in Dover--historically, as a tourist attraction, and visually. It is quite prominent, set atop the hill overlooking the town. I'd guess it's no more than a ten- or fifteen-minute taxi ride from the ship terminal. I'd like to visit it; wonder if it would be feasible, time-wise, to leave our luggage at the terminal on sailing morning & then go up to the castle for a couple of hours before the ship sails?

Even if you don't get to visit it, you'll certainly see it from the ship (unless it's obscured by a driving rain or thick fog on Sept. 15, 2007:)).

I am sorry-my memory is very faulty and I do that alot.

Quite alright. I'm rather woolly-headed myself a lot of the time.

Hubby took his seminars in Swindon-he said- and he did go to something called the Stone Circle in Avesdery?

Yes, Avebury is not far from Swindon. We once stopped there while driving from Heathrow to Bath.

I guess I should check my facts before I post. then maybe I would not look a complete idiot.

Pardon me for chuckling at that. We all do it at some point or other.

Britain is something of a second home to me--I've lived there (specifically, in Yorkshire and in Cornwall) on two different occasions, for a year each time. And I've gone over there nearly every year for the past 25 years or so, often spending time in out-of-the-way places that the "average" American tourist never visits. The rail routes and bus/coach services are pretty much second-nature to me, but that comes from long custom. (I'm also obsessive about maps & timetables & such--I actually collect those things! And occasionally getting lost and discovering interesting places as a consequence is all part of the experience for me.)

That's not a knock on American tourists--it's just that most Americans have limited time to travel, and for obvious reasons they tend to stick to London and a handful of the well-known tourist areas such as Bath (a place I love) or York or the Lake District. I don't think I've ever actually run into any Americans in the villages of Herefordshire or Shropshire, for example, though I do know a handful of Americans who have been there...

Many Americans are, or seem to be, hesitant/confused about travelling on their own by train or coach/bus--not out of ignorance per se, but simply because they are not accustomed to travelling by train or bus wherever they live in the States. If you're not used to travelling that way, it can seem a bit daunting.

I've never been to Atlanta, but I gather it's rather a sprawling city. Many American cities are like that--Houston, for example, and, most famously or imfamously, Los Angeles--and don't have much in the way of public transportation systems. Walking is not an option, as distances are so great [and it's often too hot & humid to walk in comfort anyway], so residents simply drive their own cars everywhere. I'm not criticising this, by any means, just pointing out a cultural difference between Britain and America. (New York, which I live near, and Boston are among the few large cities in the U.S. where walking and using public transportation are the norm rather than the exception.)

The tube can seem a bit intimidating, especially at rush hour or if you're loaded down with luggage. (It's probably only because I'm used to the New York City subway that the tube has always seemed rather civilised to me.:)) Incidentally, I was in London last spring for about a month; used the underground and/or buses almost every day. The events of 7/7 occurred about a month after I left. I'm sure I'd be somewhat wary there now, as I was in New York after 9/11...

Sorry to have rambled on, & off-topic. It's just that, having a foot in both countries, so to speak, I sometimes feel compelled to try to explain Britain to Americans--and America to my British friends.

(At dinner on the Constellation one night, someone at our table asked me if I was a teacher. To which I replied, "No, I'm just pedantic.";))

Cheers,

John

Thanks John. Yes in Atlanta we do have the Marta but if you live out from Atlanta like we do-there is no train system. Most people around here are under the misguided opinion that the train system will bring crime to the suberbs.

Now that we are paying much more for gasoline/petrol I do believe we may be rethinking that. Thereare a few buses that go into Atlanta in the morning and then back again in the eveing- Mon. thru Fri. from our court house in the county I live-but you still have to drive to the courthouse-but many are doing that now-a bus/train ticket is $90 a month and you sure can't drive there for that.

Back to Dover. My hubby's plan is to spend the night before the cruise embarkation in Dover- so we would go to the castle on Fri. afternoon I guess.

Never mind about the link. My hubby found it.

My hubby wants to stay in central London as that day tour will pick us up there. He is bound and determined to see Stonehenge I guess!

He did find us a hotel near Victoria Station. So that will be a breeze for us to go there by train from the airport and then a taxi from there to the hotel.

It is close enough to walk to but not with all our luggage we will have! but that will simplify things!

It will cost us a litle more but not much.

thanks for your help! but what about where you will stay in Dover? We haven't decided on that yet.

Do you know the web address of Trip Advisor?

I tried to go there but it took me to a place like hotels.com and I could not see where I could read about the B & B.

Hi, web address is www.tripadvisor.com (or www.tripadvisor.co.uk). I never book an hotel without checking the reviews on there first.

Incidentally, B&Bs over here have improved greatly over the years, and it is v. unusual to find one without en-suite; the days of bathroom sharing are just about over.

Regards, Mary

Archived