Southampton to Bath?

It's definitely feasible. The direct trains from Southampton to Bath take between 80 and 90 minutes, and it looks like there should be a couple of trains an hour.

However, do you really have 2 days? If you arrive from Canada on day 1, stay two nights and sail on day 3, that is really only one clear day to do a trip to Bath. You might find it a bit of an effort to battle the jet lag to get up early enough to make the most of a day in Bath.

Also, I don't know if you saw my earlier thread.

Thanks Globaliser,

I checked the train schedule and there are lots of direct trains.....however the price is quite high for a 90 minute trip. We could probably hire a car and driver for less than the cost. You are right, we do have just that one day, but find that if we are up and out all day we adjust to the time change quicker. Perhaps we will just visit other towns near Southampton for the day.

Thanks again for your reply and link re Bath......it looks beautiful.

Diana

... however the price is quite high for a 90 minute trip.
I'm not sure what prices you're getting. Taking some random dates in early September, you can do it for £8 return (by buying two £4 single tickets). The cheapest conventional return ticket is £20. I really don't think you could get a car and driver for the day for £40. You are looking at a journey of 65 miles in each direction.

Hello Diana,

Just my two cents'/tuppence' worth: If you've never been to Bath, you definitely must go.

I took the train from Bath to Southampton last year--as Globaliser says, it takes about an hour & a half; trains run frequently, and you don't have to worry about changing en route.

Yes, there are a bewildering variety of fares, and the price can be exhorbitant by North American standards. But a car and driver would cost far more.

Were you intending to stay in Southampton overnight and do Bath as a day trip, or did you want to stay in Bath overnight? Either alternative is feasible; if you already have booked a place to stay in Southampton, you might prefer to do Bath as a day trip (a very full day) and not have to worry about hauling your luggage with you. On the other hand...

If you have any extra time (:)) in Southampton, you might also visit Winchester and/or Salisbury--each is only 15-20 minutes from Southampton by train, definitely do-able as day trips or half-day trips. They're not quite in the Bath league (only York is, in my opinion), but both are attractive cathedral cities (only called "cities" because each has a cathedral; they're really towns) with a number of interesting historic sights.

Hope this information is helpful.

Cheers,

John

Hi John and Globaliser,

I checked Rail Europe and got a fare of $298.00US for economy. My DH would like 1st class (about 498.00) We would leave Southampton early in the am and return from Bath in the pm on August 09/07.

Are there other rail sites I could try?

Thanks,

Diana

Hi, I'm certainly no expert and will be taking these trains next week before and after our British Isles cruise. But, have you checked the National Rail site?

If you enter your dates and times, you can get a much cheaper ticket. It's only a 90 minute ride. Why would you need first class?

I got the same fare as Globaliser: 4 pounds per person each way.

Whatever you decide have a great trip.

Hi John and Globaliser,

I checked Rail Europe and got a fare of $298.00US for economy. My DH would like 1st class (about 498.00) We would leave Southampton early in the am and return from Bath in the pm on August 09/07.

Thanks,

Diana

Hello Diana~

If you'll permit me an American reaction: YIKES! $298 for economy? $498 1st class?

Please DO NOT--I repeat, DO NOT--pay those prices. As Globaliser and K D cruiser have said, you can find fares that are far less expensive. After all, again, the trip is only an hour and a half each way; even though the prices on British railways have soared in recent years, you can do much better than $298/$498. (On this side of the Pond, those prices would get you from Toronto to New York with $$$ to spare.)

You will save yourself quite a bit of money if you check the National Rail website and search for your journey there:

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

You will notice that there are different fares for different journeys, depending on the time of day and on the demand for any given journey. You can save a considerable sum by chosing the "right" trains where the four-pound fare is available. Four pounds is around eight dollars Canadian, give or take a few cents. That would come to around a total of $32 for two adults, versus the $298 fare you found.

Also avoid travelling on a Friday if you can help it; fares tend to be higher then, & the trains are more crowded, as they also are on Saturdays.

As for travelling 1st class: As I recall, many if not all of the trains on this particular route consist of two or three self-propelled coaches [cars] (i.e., no separate engine pulling them) and are similar to commuter trains in the U.S. (and in Canada, I assume), albeit more modern, more comfortable, and faster than commuter trains here in the New York metropolitan area. "1st class" on these trains generally consists of a small section in one of the coaches that is divided from the rest of the coach; the seats are roomier than those in "standard" class, and you are separated from the hoi-polloi; but that is pretty much the only difference. (Apart from the fact that you pay much more!) 1st-class is only really "first-class" on long-distance Inter-City trains (which generally consist of around 8 coaches).

There's lots of time between now and August 2007; don't feel pressured to buy your tickets now. (I don't think the system would allow you to purchase them that far in advance anyway.) As the other posters have said, the trip is a straightforward and easy one; you will be able to pay an affordable fare and then sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Cheers,

John

I see that I'm not the only person to have fallen out of my chair.

In the UK, you generally can't buy train tickets until 3 months before the date of travel. So don't even start looking until May 2007.

The £20 fare that I mentioned is, in any case, a walk up fare. You can buy it on the morning of travel when you arrive at the station. I don't think it's capacity limited, so there should be no issues with getting one. The £4 each way fare (£8 return) is, however, advance booking and capacity limited, so that may not work for you.

Sorry, I mean't Aug.9/06......next week. Thank you so much for taking the time to post. The reason for first class is that my DH is very tall and thought he'd be more comfortable, but it sounds like it won't matter. Thanks for the other rail site. I think we will just walk up to the station in Southampton and purchase a ticket then.

Thanks again,

Diana

You should be fine for the £20 ticket, then. When you get to the station, ask for return tickets to Bath, and say that you're coming back on the same day. The ticket type is the "Saver Return". (If you're quoted a higher fare, ask why you can't have a Saver Return.)

I agree that on these trains, and for such a short journey, first class is unlikely to be worth the extra money (assuming that the trains even have first class at all, which I haven't been able to bottom out). You should be able to find seats in standard class that are fine even for a tall person.

Pebbles99, you're on the same cruise as we are. Have you posted on our Golden Idols roll call? We have a great group going and plan to meet right after muster drill Thursday. It will be fun to finally meet everyone. Stop by the white piano on promenade deck if you get a chance. Kathy

Archived