Wine Prices (Serenade of the Seas)

Does anyone know how much wine costs on board for an RCI cruise? How does it compare to the mark-ups at restaurants? We will be traveling on the Serenade of the Seas soon and would like to have a rough idea on what to expect regarding prices! I found a wine list on their site finally but it did not include prices (which I really don't understand).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi...Just off the Serenade...Alaska was beautiful...the Captian, Capitan George is Great...Love him!!

Now, as for wine, I dont drink the stuff, personally, unless its the sparkling variaty...howeverm, I know they have wine packages...form 4-12 bottles at a 'discount' but it seems to me the prices per bottle were comparable to what youd pay in a restaurant...Its just like going anywhere, you pay a little extra, but, hey...your on vacation and things are usually a bit more costly, you sorta expect it, ya know...Have a great trip...if ya have any other questions just ask!:)

As an example, a bottle of Beringer White Zin is $24-26. If you can't drink it all at your meal that night they will cork it for you and bring the remainder to you the next evening.

Someone had posted the wine prices on the boards at one time. Have you tried doing a search on the RC board or the food board for wine prices?

Maybe this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330826&highlight=wine+prices

Have a great cruise.

Hi...Just off the Serenade...Alaska was beautiful...the Captian, Capitan George is Great...Love him!!

Now, as for wine, I dont drink the stuff, personally, unless its the sparkling variaty...howeverm, I know they have wine packages...form 4-12 bottles at a 'discount' but it seems to me the prices per bottle were comparable to what youd pay in a restaurant...Its just like going anywhere, you pay a little extra, but, hey...your on vacation and things are usually a bit more costly, you sorta expect it, ya know...Have a great trip...if ya have any other questions just ask!:)

It is nice to know that they were comparable prices...although I guess even that depends on where you live - wine seems to be a bit cheaper in California (probably because we produce so much of it!).

We looked at the wine packages, but thought they may be a bit too restrictive. I will have to look at them more closely.

Thanks for the offer of additional info! I do have a question for you... Did you find a good place, not too crowded, to view the glaciers on the cruising days? Hubbard Glacier and the inside passage? Thanks!

Someone had posted the wine prices on the boards at one time. Have you tried doing a search on the RC board or the food board for wine prices?

Maybe this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330826&highlight=wine+prices

Thanks for the tip! I am still new to these boards and learning all of the tricks as I go!

Hi, I started a wine policies thread because many of us wine nuts were concerned about the prices and selection.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330826

There is are post about the wine packages (also my analysis that points our that many times it is not a good deal). We also discuss bringing you own wine onboard.

The wine on RCI is a rip off. The usual markup is 4-5x retail, at least compared to California, whereas a restaurant will be more like 2-3x. The higher up the quility scale you go, the closer to 3x retail you will get. But most of the wines are middling quality and horribly overpriced.

Not that I have a strong opinion or anything...:rolleyes:

Critterchick,

Well, you are right about the prices. I can buy the saem bottle at Target for 5.00.

If you want to try it just bring your favorite on board and have your cabin steward ice it down for you one night. We did this with a bottle last cruise. We just wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it in with our checked bags when we got on the ship.

The wine on RCI is a rip off. The usual markup is 4-5x retail, at least compared to California, whereas a restaurant will be more like 2-3x. The higher up the quility scale you go, the closer to 3x retail you will get. But most of the wines are middling quality and horribly overpriced.

Not that I have a strong opinion or anything...:rolleyes:

You go, girl! I feel the same way. Mediocre wine at rip off prices:mad:.

Beringer White Zin (don't drink the stuff myself but do cook with it) I buy for 4.99 at home, sometimes cheaper. The markup is 500-600%!

The packages are boring. We have always brought our own and happily paid the corkage but those days are history.:(

Hi, I started a wine policies thread because many of us wine nuts were concerned about the prices and selection.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330826

There is are post about the wine packages (also my analysis that points our that many times it is not a good deal). We also discuss bringing you own wine onboard.

Thanks for the tip! My hubby and I are definitely wine lovers. I will have to check out that thread. I really wish we could bring our own wine and just pay a corkage...

We have always brought our own and happily paid the corkage but those days are history.:(

I wonder if, as consumers, we have any power of getting this policy reversed? I would gladly pay up to $15 corkage to bring my own dinner wine on board. They would still make their money off of us with any pre-dinner cocktails or after dinner during the show drinks.

I wonder if, as consumers, we have any power of getting this policy reversed? I would gladly pay up to $15 corkage to bring my own dinner wine on board. They would still make their money off of us with any pre-dinner cocktails or after dinner during the show drinks.

I have written to everyone at RCI and X that I have in my email database expressing my true disappointment at this one portion of their policy. Frankly, I don't think they give a damn but it certainly impacts my future decisions.

I have written to everyone at RCI and X that I have in my email database expressing my true disappointment at this one portion of their policy. Frankly, I don't think they give a damn but it certainly impacts my future decisions.

Off the top of your head, do you happen to know what lines still allow you to bring your own wine on board? Would be useful information for future cruises.

We are taking our second cruise this September on the Serendade of the Seas...I like the idea of trying out different cruise lines to see if I have an overall preference in the future.

Hi, I would never disagree with Caviargal. :) But the policy that AutumnRose found on the TA site that annouced the age change for waivers in the North America stated that you could bring on 2 bottles and pay the corkage fee. So I thought that was the new policy change; just the age change. No liquor to be bought onboard has been the policy for a long time. The 2 bottles of wine at $12 corkage fee was the policy for awhile and still may be??? I am trying to get current results from recent cruisers on the thread I previously posted. I would not give up just yet.

Hi, I would never disagree with Caviargal. :) But the policy that AutumnRose found on the TA site that annouced the age change for waivers in the North America stated that you could bring on 2 bottles and pay the corkage fee. So I thought that was the new policy change; just the age change. No liquor to be bought onboard has been the policy for a long time. The 2 bottles of wine at $12 corkage fee was the policy for awhile and still may be??? I am trying to get current results from recent cruisers on the thread I previously posted. I would not give up just yet.

The one on my TA site says "with prior approval from RCI" and I have not yet able to get that approved.

"For guests who wish to bring "fine" wine aboard, and Royal Caribbean is unable to accommodate their selection, we will, with prior approval from Royal Caribbean, allow a maximum of two bottles of wine to be brought by the guest or group. A corkage fee in the amount of $12.00 per bottle will be charged. This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements but Royal Caribbean will try and accommodate requests. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities."

Then, in a different area, it says:

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased

in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean’s Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them."

Clear as mud?

Also, I did write to get written approval for 2 bottles and they would not provide it. I am sailing with 126 guests.:cool:

Off the top of your head, do you happen to know what lines still allow you to bring your own wine on board? Would be useful information for future cruises.

We are taking our second cruise this September on the Serendade of the Seas...I like the idea of trying out different cruise lines to see if I have an overall preference in the future.

Hi Loisgriffin!

We are on the same cruise and apparently have the same concerns. I am going to try to bring some on and hope that it won't get confiscated. Do you think that since this is an Alaskan cruise, not Caribbean, probably fewer "kids" maybe they won't be so anal? Lets just see if we can and bring it to our M&M

Hi Loisgriffin!

We are on the same cruise and apparently have the same concerns. I am going to try to bring some on and hope that it won't get confiscated. Do you think that since this is an Alaskan cruise, not Caribbean, probably fewer "kids" maybe they won't be so anal? Lets just see if we can and bring it to our M&M

Hey moofus! Nice to "see" you somewhere other than our Roll Call! It would definitely be nice if they are more laid back for the Alaskan cruise. And I hear that if they do confiscate it, they will return it once the cruise is over (if you can trust them). It would be nice to share a bottle at our M&M, whether or not it is organized by RCI - I think we are still at 14 people signed up.

I am still not sure if I want to bring any on board. Ultimately, I would love to have wine with every dinner, but bringing 7 bottles is just not realistic (especially since we are flying)!! :) At least we have a month to figure it out. We might just stick with cocktails...who knows, maybe that will make me drink less!

I have heard people are getting away with bringing two bottles with them, but to be honest, two bottles is not going to get me very far on vacation!

Hi loisgriffin and moofus,

We're still debating about bringing on wine. On one cruise, we did purchase a wine package and the bottles that we didn't finish at dinner we were able to bring back to our room to enjoy. On other cruises, we brought a couple of bottles on board that we brought to the dining room and to a specialty restaurant and never got charged a corkage fee. Also, these bottles we brought on board were in our hand carry and nothing was ever said. Will keep reading the boards to see how the policy will be enforced.

Still only 14 signed up for M&M. Will have to start mentioning our M&M on my posts on other forums to see if there's anyone out there who hasn't signed up.

We're still debating about bringing on wine. Will keep reading the boards to see how the policy will be enforced.

Still only 14 signed up for M&M. Will have to start mentioning our M&M on my posts on other forums to see if there's anyone out there who hasn't signed up.

Hey Seagal123 ~

I agree with monitoring these boards to see how the policy is being enforced as we get closer to our sail date. A lot of people seem to be saying to bring your own wine, in limited quantities (2-4 bottles). What I find interesting is there seems to be a vastly different acceptance level towards bringing wine versus bringing liquor on these boards. At least that is what I have observed.

I checked under Community to see what other members have logged in under our ship and sailing date and there are only 5 members (assuming each one has a partner/spouse, that still does not equal the number listed on our M&M). Maybe we can post something under the Alaska board trying to find other cruisers?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what I have researched:

NCL has a good policy, $15 corkage fee and bring as much as you want, and a good looking list (check out the entire list don't stop just because you see the premiums wines first even those are a good value)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=403348

Hal bring as much as you like, $15 corkage fee also a good list.

Princess bring 2 bottles with corkage fee (I think $15), also a good list.

Cost seemed to have really reasonable Italian wines on each days menu, don't think you can bring wine onboard.

Of course the luxury lines have very good policies.

Maybe RCL will wakeup and improve their policy???

Archived