Panchos Backyard

heupler

Can anyone tell me anything about this restaurant or the shopping beside of it? Can we walk for dinner from our cruise ship (Carnival)? Since we are doing the dolphin swim in the morning, and there are 6 of us (4 kids), I would love to be able to avoid another cab fare. Please let me know.

Thanks!

We had lunch @ Poncho's. It was very good. Just beware of the Mexican Singers. They sang to us once, which was fun. But, after they saw us give a tip they kept coming back! The shopping around is very, very good. Silver was inexpensive. We bought quite a few pieces.

Unfortunately, you really need a cab to get there. We took a cab out and tryed to walk back. But, the heat was so intense that we had to get a cab. It's a long walk and I wouldn't recommend attempting it.

If you don't want them to sing for you, just kindly say, "no gracias" and they will move on. If you do ask them to play for you, do tip them. That's how they earn their living and they're all quite good.

According to the Can-Do Cozumel Map Puerta Maya is the main ship dock for Carnival. There is a Pancho's Backyard at this dock. It is a branch of the well-respected downtown restaurant. Guacamole, $5; Nachos, $7; Fajitas, $12; fish fillet, $12. Have only eaten at the one in town.

I think the cab fare was about $40. I don't really remember. Sorry.

The food wasn't too expensive. They only had the menus with spanish on them when we were there. But, the bill for two people was around $20 (tacos and fajitas). I don't remember a kids menu and if there isn't one...kids could easily share something. The amount of food is incredible. I couldn't eat it all. Be sure to eat some of the salsa, its really good. Nothing watery like what we have here in the US.

The one by the pier has very minimal shopping. The shopping outside the pier is much better...but, it wouldn't be devistating if you missed it. If you want to shop for anything like jewlery or valuble at all, the one by the pier is not where you want to be. But, we did find some nice things. I'm not quite sure if I'm talking about the correct pier (we were on Royal Carribbean) but, I think I am...sorry if I'm not!

The cost of a taxi from Puerto Maya (where Carnival docks) to downtown shopping area (where the downtown Pancho's Backyard is located) is $6 one-way. No cab is needed to visit the Pancho's Backyard at Puerto Maya.

Last time we did Cozumel we were on NCL and docked at the new pier. We walked from there to Panchos stopping along the way. We had lunch, did some shopping and walked back. I will have to fess up, I ended up taking the little tricycle back. It was hot and I was exhausted. Docking at the old pier you would most likely need a taxi. Regardless don't miss the place.

NMNita

The taxi fares y'all are mentioning are making me wonder............

In September, the Holiday was docked at Puerto Maya Pier, and the cab into the downtown area of San Miguel was $12 (for up to 4ppl, not per person) - nowhere near $40!:eek:

Also - about the shopping, I think, since they've built all those many new shops at PM Pier, the shopping is much, much better than it was the year before. I found prices to be VERY comparable to those in San Miguel; a few things I purchased were even less expensive. The a/c 'mall' at the pier had some really nice items. I bought Lladro figures for a great price!

Archived