Returning to the ship

All you need to re-board the ship itself is your Sail & Sign card.

However, when leaving some ports, there will be uniformed officers from that island/country who will want to see your S&S card, as well as a photo ID before allowing you to return to the ship.:)

Guest YesitDonna

Not true... my last two cruises, May and June, we were required S&S card AND a license getting back on. Don't worry though, your Capers will let you know everything you need to know before leaving for any port.

I don't think you can say "not true" so emphatically, Donna. That has never been my experience, and I was relating MY experiences. Perhaps it has changed since my last Carnival cruise, but no need to be rude when replying, please.:rolleyes:

I'm just concerned about having to bring a passport off the ship and keeping it safe.

Everyone has their own ideas about taking a passport off the ship. I would never be on foreign soil without my passport. Just in the event you encountered a problem, the officials will not accept a "copy" of your ID. Copies can be altered. I take no chances.

OK, I'll admit I didn't read the Capers too well, but we damn near got caught without any picture ID for my DW and I at our first stop in the Caymans.... and the port authority folks requested both picture ID and your Sail and Sign card to board the tender back to the ship. Grabbing our DL's was a last minute thought as we were leaving our cabin. Me thinks it could have been a big hassle or worse.

I assumed then it would be the same in every port (which wasn't the case, but how much room does a picture ID take up?)

I assumed then it would be the same in every port (which wasn't the case, but how much room does a picture ID take up?)

Much less room than the cash needed for mac n' cheese I suspect :p

I've always had to show photo ID when returning to the ship on each of the 8 cruises I've been on. My DD also had to show photo ID (cruised once at 16 and again at 17).

I must be very lucky. I just used my ss card

BUT, IT HAD CHICKEN IN IT!!... Wait, do they even have chickens in the Caymans:eek:

Haven't you ever taken the tour to Hel? There were chickens all over the place. So obviously, it wasn't chicken you ate, it was...EL POLLO DIABLO! (or a pirate that had been tarred and feathered)

Everyone has their own ideas about taking a passport off the ship. I would never be on foreign soil without my passport. Just in the event you encountered a problem, the officials will not accept a "copy" of your ID. Copies can be altered. I take no chances.

I too almost always carry my passport when I'm on foreign soil. The only exception is when I'm in a country that requires hotels to hold guest passports and I can't convince the hotel staff otherwise.

In a foreign country its easier to replace a passport than a drivers license. Unless I'm renting a car I leave my drivers license at home or in the ship safe.

Foreign officials are much more familiar with various countries passports than individual state/province driver licenses, or other photo id. As a result they are much less likely to question the validity of the document.

Better know before you go what you will need , some places passports, some Photo ID and S & S or both. Some birth cert with raised seal if no passport. TA or PVP should tell you what you need as per where you are going. Also in your sail packet, They are not all the same. Some of the ports we have been at want S & S and a photo ID=Drivers Lic or passport. Europe S & S and Passport only.

Haven't you ever taken the tour to Hel? There were chickens all over the place. So obviously, it wasn't chicken you ate, it was...EL POLLO DIABLO! (or a pirate that had been tarred and feathered)

Like Audie Murphy, (who would need an ID and S & S card to get back on the ship in the Caymans if he was alive) I've been to Hell and Back. It's called the Hard Rock in GT.

I believe that I actually had stingray in my mac n cheese, and hence the cost.

does anyone know if you need a photo i.d. for a child 13 years of age to re-enter ship? we will be in freeport and nassau august 21,22 2006. i thought you only needed photo i.d. for children over 16.

I'm taking my mother who is a UK citizen on a 4 day cruise. The only official document she has with her picture on is her passport. I told her about another picture ID being needed and she said she checked with her travel agent, who phoned Carnival, who said all was needed was her "Sail and Sign" card.

As her passport will be taken from her at check-in, now I'm worried we will be stuck in Ensenada

Like Audie Murphy, (who would need an ID and S & S card to get back on the ship in the Caymans if he was alive) I've been to Hell and Back. It's called the Hard Rock in GT.

I believe that I actually had stingray in my mac n cheese, and hence the cost.

Hmm... I've fed the stingrays, but I've never fed on them. Never had shark, either. So I wonder if that makes me deprived, or lucky?;)

I've been to GC twice, and I don't remember having to show an ID to get on the tender. I'm not saying I didn't have to, I just don't remember. I always take my DL with me though, and I'll have a passport on my next cruise, and that's definitely coming with me.

Archived