Letterboxing in ports?

flsun

Anyone ever done this while cruising? We hunt boxes wherever we travel and just found some sites for the southern Carib. Are the boxes usually still there? We may plant some more, if others think it's worth the time...

You mean this?

Do you enjoy getting out into the great outdoors? Are you looking for an activity the whole family can enjoy? Letterboxing combines elements of a scavenger hunt, hiking, orienteering, map reading, puzzle solving and creative expression in a unique activity that's growing in popularity. There are more than 22,000 letterboxes hidden in the U.S. today, but you'll only find them if you can correctly follow the clues. Once you've found a letterbox, record your discovery in its log using your personal rubber stamp, and stamp the letterbox's stamp in your personal journal.

http://www.letterboxing.info/

Weird that the US letterboxing site went down today... We've been planning for our Oct cruise and see that a number of boxes are hidden in Barbados (2) and St. John (4 near Cruz Bay). Our boys have done it for years, and we've seen some beautiful vistas from lb locations. Just wondering if others had combined this activity with their cruises and how it went.

I don't think so. Same church, different pew.

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

Ive always wanted to get into letterboxing... looks like alot of fun. Thanks for bringing this topic up, this is the perfect time of year around here (maine) for it! I had found it (the sight) a few winters ago but thats NOT the time to do it here!!! I had forgotten about it 'til you just brought it up.... gonna go look into it more now!! BYE!!:D

Very weird that the day after we posted this, the main site went down. Made us look a little harder, and we found this: http://www.atlasquest.com/ On the right, you can search by city, and we've had luck finding some listings for the islands. When searching Bridgetown, it showed 13 cities with that name, and we chose 'Barbados'; after clicking on Confirm location, it took us to 2 box listings.

Aunu - We've done this for years and the dog loves the long walks she gets out of our hunts. You're right - this is the perfect weather for it stateside. We thought adding it to cruise ports we've visited before would be a great way to see areas that may not be "on the regular tour"...:)

Happy hunting...

Very weird that the day after we posted this, the main site went down. Made us look a little harder, and we found this: http://www.atlasquest.com/ On the right, you can search by city, and we've had luck finding some listings for the islands. When searching Bridgetown, it showed 13 cities with that name, and we chose 'Barbados'; after clicking on Confirm location, it took us to 2 box listings.

Aunu - We've done this for years and the dog loves the long walks she gets out of our hunts. You're right - this is the perfect weather for it stateside. We thought adding it to cruise ports we've visited before would be a great way to see areas that may not be "on the regular tour"...:)

Happy hunting...

Ya, I googled a bit more and found that sight but alot of the the links, at least for Maine go to the letterboxing.org sight....

I just said to my husband, looks like i found something for us to do tomorrow.

We have a GPS and have said that he would like to do the Geocaching thing, we just need to figure the GPS out!!

I found this on the Atlas Quest Boards: "We have our clues hosted at LbNA and have a link to them from there to AQ. They can be found by using the "view cache" on the AQ clue listing.

I tried it on the Maine ones (near Belfast?), clicked on "View Cache", on the left, and the clues opened right up. The clue link for Bangor sent me to LBNA, but the cache opened the link!

We're printing all the ones for our cruise so as to not get caught in another site crash...:( and plan to report back here, after our cruise, and let y'all know how it went. Our sons are also planning to 'plant' a few boxes, as these islands are frequented by ships. Could start a new 'shore excursion'...

We ended up doing 4 geocaches today...i think we are hooked on it!! Planning on doing some tomorrow afternoon to. Our 14 (going on 21) year old went with us, she had a great time! She wants to go with us tomorrow to. This was our first time doing it, it was so much fun and easy! I will look into the letterboxing thing some more, might be able to go to a few close by each other.

The letterboxing.org site is back up and running. If you want to search boxes on the islands, click on Clues, then check the flag boxes on the bottom right of the North America map.

Happy hunting...

Archived