Waterproof Camera Housing for Underwater Photos?

Leo Jay

Hey,

I've been looking into the same thing. There's an inexpensive "bag type" that you can get for about $40 which is supposed to fit lots of different camera types. Personally i'm a little leary about trysting my cam to a $40 housing. I'm sure it works fine or they wouldnt sell it, but i think i'm gonna pay the $150 for the Nikon factory housing and not have to worry about leaks.

Here's the info on the "bag type"

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNDERWATER-HOUSING-CASE-FOR-SONY-DIGITAL-CAMERA-DSC-T7_W0QQitemZ200009703006QQihZ010QQcategoryZ50506QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey,

I've been looking into the same thing. There's an inexpensive "bag type" that you can get for about $40 which is supposed to fit lots of different camera types. Personally i'm a little leary about trysting my cam to a $40 housing. I'm sure it works fine or they wouldnt sell it, but i think i'm gonna pay the $150 for the Nikon factory housing and not have to worry about leaks.

Here's the info on the "bag type"

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNDERWATER-HOUSING-CASE-FOR-SONY-DIGITAL-CAMERA-DSC-T7_W0QQitemZ200009703006QQihZ010QQcategoryZ50506QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. Well, I don't know if I'll ever use my camera underwater again, and I'm only going a few inches beneath the surface, so I don't need a heavy-duty pressure-protected housing. Besides, my Nikon only cost me $120 on Amazon, so there's no WAY I'm buying a $150 housing for it. :) So I may end up getting one of these $40 ones. To be honest, I was hoping that in shallow water, even a Ziplok bag might work. But maybe I shouldn't be THAT cheap. :D

The answer is yes and no depending on your camera. There are some companies that have them. For example I know Cannon has some for some of their cameras and I believe Pentex might. The bottom line is you need to see if your brand/manufacture makes one for your camera. BTW, they are not cheap.

I was hoping that in shallow water, even a Ziplok bag might work.

Do not, not, not use a ziploc bag. Aside from the danger of a catastrophic leak, you will also get huge distortion shooting through the plastic. The $40 bags specifically designed for underwater camera use actually work quite well, but unless you're going to be shooting a lot underwater, or going very deep, I recommend just buying an underwater disposable from Kodak or Fuji; I used a $10 disposable for underwater shots at Stingray City on Grand Cayman for a magazine article, and the quality was quite good. You can always scan the negatives into your computer if you want to make digital prints.

Good advice all....do NOT use ziplock bags!

I always use the Fuji disposable. It takes pretty good pics. It also shoots quite well at about 35', though it is not rated for that depth, so it's at your own risk. Then, when I bring it home to get it developed, I have them do a CD at the same time for about $1 more. Great quality CD, good pics, and no worries about your camera being damaged.

Karen

I've only ever used the disposables, but I've come across a couple of websites that sell reusable dive cameras for under $50. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of their quality?

www.scuba.com

especially the SeaLife & Suprema brands

It would be nice to only have to take 1 camera and extra film instead of using precious luggage space on a bunch of disposables.

Thanks!

KTE

I was looking into housings for my digital camera and they are waaay too expensive around $200 or more. So, I spent $89 on a underwater digital camera with 3 mp. I got it at newegg.com I am a diver and the pics turned out really good. Not bad for $89.

I ordered an Aquapac waterproof underwater housing for my Fuji Finepix digi cam at the weekend. It should be here tomorrow so I'll try it out in the kitchen sink and let you know how it goes.

Not too many nice snorkelling places to try it out here in rainy Liverpool! :D

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, something told me I'd get laughed/screamed at for the Ziplock idea! :D . It's just that the ones with the zipper mechanism seem to be really, really airtight, so I figured... well okay, okay :p

I've heard such mixed reviews about disposables, and since they don't have the immediate feedback of a digital, you take the chance of not finding out until it's too late that you have a roll full of mediocre shots. :o

I was looking into housings for my digital camera and they are waaay too expensive around $200 or more. So, I spent $89 on a underwater digital camera with 3 mp. I got it at newegg.com I am a diver and the pics turned out really good. Not bad for $89.

Hmm, that might be an option too -- I'll check into it. Have you used it at all for land shots?

That Pixtreme does look pretty nice. But even bargain-priced at $89, I can't justify it right now, given that this is my first attempt at either snorkeling or underwater photography. I'll definitely get it, though, if I'm sold on snorkeling after this upcoming experience.

I ended up compromising for now with a dicapac case on eBay for $34.95+. It seemed to be a bit better than the aquapac, and got some very positive reviews on a website I found.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

and I'll try to give it a "test" as soon as it arrives. If it works well, I'll probably buy one for DH too before we do the TP next year. Even w/extra memory cards, the 2 cameras together still won't cost as much as buying disposables and paying for developing pix before we go back through airport security - to say nothing of the luggage and weight allowances we'll be saving! :D

Thanks again Dgonza!

KTE

Can you tell me about the buttons on this camera? I can't tell from the pictures. We purchased a different camera that was rated for 100 ft and had problems with the pressure because the stupid buttons were made of rubber and sucked in when you got to any depth. Disappointed about not being able to take pictures on our dives. Never thought about the buttons until we tried to dive with the camera. Works good for snorkeling and can remove from the housing to use as a regular digital, but really wanted it for diving. Any information you could give me on this camera would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last year I used a kodak underwater disposable camera,got my photos put on a disc-then used the Kodak editing software (included on the disc)and shazaam-great pictures. I'd used a disposable in the past,and got a mixed bag in terms of usable photos-but it is marvelous what a little clipping , brightening and color enhancing can do. I've gone on to purchase a decent digital camera-a canons80-and since we get to tropical waters at least twice a year and are avid snorkelers-I got an underwater housing-listed at over $200.00-but I found it on the internet for$160. Aren't computers wonderful! For sometime snorkelers I think the Kodak disposable is fine- just so a litttle photo editing.

Got my camera yesterday. Cute little beggar! UW housing buttons are nice size metal and should have no problems using even w/gloves. I have a couple of questions, but I'm going to address them to Dgonza in a separate thread.

KTE

• 2 weeks later...

FYI guys,

If anyone still needs a disposable camera for snorkeling, try the Suprema Sport... It's film but is an awesome beginner camera.. I dive and used it starting.... Here's one of the pics I took... I have to say, I'm surprised it came out.. It was poor visibility and sea lions are fast... But this camera took the pic like I new what I was doing...lol

sealion.jpg

so you can see this takes decent pics for a film, disposable camera.

Now for those who want more or starting to dive, try the Olympus Stylus 600. It is a digital camera that is for land/underwater. Has land settings and underwater settings..... I bought the camera and housing for under $400 from pbh photo... I know I'll eventually go further with strobes and such but for now, this is great.. Goes to over 100ft, easy to use buttons and such.. takes great pics... See below.... Another recommendation, don't buy a Sea Life camera DC310.... crap camera and cheap... Horrible.... They do have great customer service though as they've replaced the camera for me 4 times in 1 year:eek: .... They have a DC500 that I've heard great reviews about but have not personally seen anyone use.. So unless you can see the camera, use the camera, stay away from that brand.... Hope this all helps.......

spanishshawlwebsite.jpg

Archived