Suncreen Safe for Coral

TexasSmiles

I have read several articles about wearing sunscreen that will not damage the coral reef when snorkeling. I have tried to search for a enviro safe sunscreen and have seen posts about a Trader Joes but can't seem to find anything else. Some of the excursions indicate that you must use the special suncreen. Does anyone have any information on this? We are cruising and will snorkle and would like to know what the best and safe sunscreen is. I am very fair and can't be without it. Any ideas?

15 days and counting.......oh yes!

Whenever we've snorkeled at a place which requires "ocean friendly sunscreen" it has always been available. In many places, it's exchanged for your bottle of sunscreen (they take yours so that you don't "accidently" use the wrong one and then give yours back when you leave). Otherwise, I can assure you that vendors will sell you the "right" type when you're near the water. We've had very mixed results with other sunscreens, so we do make sure to wear a t-shirt over our suits when we're using any sunscreen other than our normal "50 SPF".

Karen

Karen,

Thank you for that. I would hate to use their sunscreen and get burnt to bits which I do frequently. It is interesting though that there is little information on this. We read something about a SOY based bio-degradable sunscreen that is being looked at by the FDA but is not available yet. We will follow instructions and take extra precautions ourselves such as the T-Shirt as you suggested.

• 3 weeks later...
Karen,

Thank you for that. I would hate to use their sunscreen and get burnt to bits which I do frequently. It is interesting though that there is little information on this. We read something about a SOY based bio-degradable sunscreen that is being looked at by the FDA but is not available yet. We will follow instructions and take extra precautions ourselves such as the T-Shirt as you suggested.

You can order stuff online that is eco-friendly. Don't know what options you have in TX, but if there are Wild Oats or Vitamin Cottage stores, they sell eco-friendly sunscreen. It's cheaper than buying it on site at places who require it.

Archived