Pilot's Choice Helicopter & Dog Sledding Duplication?

kokosmama

While we are in Juneau (Sun 8/12 sailing), we are booked on the Glacier Explorer:Pilot's Choice Helicopter" and later in the day the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer. When we get to Skagway, we are booked for the "Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing Helicopter". I am wondering if we will be doing essentially duplicating excursions with the Pilot's Choice and then the Glacier Flightseeing". I definitely want to see the dog sledding camp, so the question would be do we see or do anything substantially different on the Juneau helicopter tour? If not, I would rather subsitute something else (hopefully less expensive, like the Zip Line, for Juneau in the morning. Has anyone done both to know the answer to the question?

One major difference between the two is the conditions of your landing. The dog sledding is mostly snow, where the regular glacier helicopter landing you have way more access to ice.

But have back up plans, talks are already about shutting down the glacier dog sledding.

Thanks, BudgetQueen! Would NCL have let us book dog sledding through them if it was not going to be available? Also, what do you mean about the ice vs the snow experience? Do you see different things (other than snow & ice, of course). Both excursions are costing us a small fortune. I would love to substitute zip line for the Pilot's Choice if it meant we were not missing anything substantial. I also thought the dog sledding took place on a glacier. Am I wrong?

The dog sledding camp is on a glacier, but a part of the glacier that's covered by snow. When the snow melts off, its too hard on the dogs to run on the ice, so the camp is closed. It's usually closed by the first week of September, but you never know until it happens.

Murray

You need to verify what their cancelation policy is. Some are 24 hours ahead, which is more than enough time for a double booking. At the very least, KNOW what may be of interest for you to occupy your time, if no tour other tours are of interest.

I'm just like the original poster (I've booked 2 glacier/dogsleds) in hopes that one will happen. I assume Skagway is more north and 1 day earlier so chances would be higher there? Or am I kidding myself? I'd love to hear your opinions!

We were in Juneau on July 29th and the dog camp there had to move their camp once recently due to the lack of snow. They told us that day that they planned on packing the dogs up within 2 weeks. This was the dog camp that Coastal used.

I'm just like the original poster (I've booked 2 glacier/dogsleds) in hopes that one will happen. I assume Skagway is more north and 1 day earlier so chances would be higher there? Or am I kidding myself? I'd love to hear your opinions!

There is NO advantage from either location for "longer snow". If going past mid August, You might want to email the venders and see what their answer is?? There is TEMSCO only in Skagway, and TEMSCO , Coastal, and ERA out of Juneau

Archived