Electric or manual?

Rustyone

I use a wheelchair for distances over about 50 yards or so. I have both electric and manual chairs. My DW can push me in my manual OK or I can do it myself if the terrain is suitable. My question is, given the choice, and considering moving about the ship, airport, and ports; plus taking into account that I have some one to push me if needed wouldn't I be better off in a manual chair? My electric breaks down into 7 pieces but is still heavy. Are the hassles worth using the electric?

It depends on what you want to do. It is very difficult to push manual wheelchairs around the ship (even for the AB pusher) due to the carpets. Also, if you are OK with being joined at the hip with your pusher for the entire cruise, and have all the same interests, and never want to do anything on your own, I guess relying on your pusher is OK.

My mother certainly is not happy with this. She uses a power chair full time at home, and we do take the manual chair with us on cruises (you need a back-up and something for ports, which generally don't work with a power chair or scooter) but she is much more comfortable and independent in her power chair. She cannot push her own manual wheelchair at all. If my dad and I decide to do something different from my mother, she is very able to get around the ship, even if we go ashore, by herself using her power chair.

Remember if you are flying that your mobility equipment can be gate checked at no additional expense to you. We take both chairs (and our travel lift) to the gate and check them there. As long as you take the delicate things off the power chair (like the joy stick) and carry them aboard, you should can take your power chair safely. If your power chair is not heavily customized, you could also consider renting for use on the ship, and having it delivered to the ship for you (depending on your embarkation and disembarkation ports).

I use my Pride power chair onboard ship and mostly my manual Quickie for ports. Even the most accessible ports present thresholds and curbs that a power chair can't handle. Also, the manual chair can fold up and be placed in the trunk of a taxi. I ride the power chair for embarkation and the manual chair carries bags and other small unchecked luggage.

Have a great cruise.:)

Archived