Scooter on RCCL Explorer

lindacat

I am cruising with my family on the Explorer of the Seas 8/25. We are booked into D-2 Balcony cabins. My father has been ill recently, and the Doctors feel that he can go on the cruise but he should use either a wheel chair or a scooter for long distances. He absolutely cannot stand in one place for more than 5 minutes because of a severe leg edema problem. He is mobile for short distances and does not need a handicapped cabin at this point. My father is a heavy person and for his sake as well as ours we would prefer a scooter to a wheel chair. I am going to call care vacations to inquire about renting one for the 9 days we will be on the trip. My question is will it fit in a regular D-2 cabin or is there somewhere the steward can store it for us and charge it when not in use? If it will be too cumbersome we will rent a regular wheelchair for the week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Linda

A scooter will NOT fit in the door to a regular cabin. Try to get a handicapped cabin and keep the scooter in there with you. DO NOT leave the scooter in the hallway, they are very narrow.

Sometimes the steward will store it out of the way, but to me it is impractical having someone bring the scooter when you want or need it. A handicapped cabin would most definitely be your best option.

Sherry

check with the company as to how wide the chair will be. Mine is 19" and fits thru the door. However, it makes it quite crowded in the room. Do get the scooter over the wheelchair, you will all be happier. The steward will find a place for it. he always has for us. Probably you can bring the battery into the room to recharge it.

Getting a handicapped cabin two weeks before sailing is next to impossible, sorry. You usually have to book a year in advance to reserve a handicapped cabin.

You can keep your scooter at the pursers desk or the room steward will find a place for it.

Happy cruising and have a wonderful time with your family.

Linda

Ok, some questions. How heavy is he? If under 240 lbs then a Scootie by shoprite is good and only 18" wide with arm rests (which are removeable to go in doors (scooter is then 17 in wide. Talk to Care Vacations or Scootaround. they have put them in reg cabins at times. They come with the battrey charger plus ask for an extention cord.

As above getting an H/C now is nest to impossible two weeks out but you can try the Special Services Dept for your cruiseline.

I didn't try to get the HC cabin ahead of time because until last week he really didn't need one. I thought it was worth a shot because our sailing was selling pretty slowly until just recently.

My dad is about 280 lbs and would need one of the larger scooters. The doctors want him to do some walking so we are planning that he will use a wheelchair/scooter to get on/ off ship, and off the ship in some of the ports, however while on the ship he is going to walk. He may be slower, but we are on vacation and not in a hurry.

When I spoke with RCCL they offered that the room steward could stow the scooter for us. How would we charge it? Do they plug it in or is the battery somehow removeable? It would not be too much of an inconvenience as he would not need it 100% of the time, so we should be able to coordinate with the room steward.

Archived