1st post, anyone else on Grandeur of the Seas 8/27 out of Baltimore to Bermuda?

I just joined the board. My husband and I are on the Grandeur on 8/27 out of Baltimore for a 5 day cruise to Bermuda for our 10 year wedding anniversary (kid free!). Anyone else going on this sailing? Any tips, recommendations, etc.? We are in JS 8034. Anyone know anything about it? Also Bermuda, must sees, dos, etc? Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

Less than 3 weeks away!!!!!

Hi! Have you tried the roll call/meet & mingle section of the boards? You'll probably find a thread for your sailing and lots of great people who are going with you:D

Leave the boat in good shape, will ya? I get on when you get home;)

I just joined the board. My husband and I are on the Grandeur on 8/27 out of Baltimore for a 5 day cruise to Bermuda for our 10 year wedding anniversary (kid free!). Anyone else going on this sailing? Any tips, recommendations, etc.? We are in JS 8034. Anyone know anything about it? Also Bermuda, must sees, dos, etc? Any and all help would be appreciated!Thanks in advance!

Jenny

Less than 3 weeks away!!!!!

If you click on my Photo Page below there are lots of Grandeur Pics, and a Grandeur Video...:rolleyes:

Radio

;) ;)

Hey Jenny,

We'll be there, too! Four of us (two couples) are sharing a grand suite not far from you and we can't wait! We have been on a bunch of cruises before but this is our first trip to Bermuda so it's all new to us. We did book the Restless Native Catamaran cruise and plan on doing some sightseeing on our own. I've checked the Roll Call forum and it looks like we are the only two on this sailing! Maybe we will have the ship all to ourselves!

While I don't have any Bermuda experience I have been on the ship before and it's very nice. Feel free to ask me any other questions and I'll try to help.

Happy Anniversary!

Not nearly enough time but luckily it is a small island..

The re-enactment of the dunking is at noon on weekdays in St Georges..right in front of the docked ship in the street. This is a fun scene if you can plan to get there. It draws quite a crowd and last for about 15 minutes.

The Crystal Caves are popular but the aquarium/zoo is really amazing. Both are affordablly priced so you don't have to choose.

Horseshoe Beach is one of the most beautiful in the world(they say). It is pretty unspoiled that's for sure.

Swizzle Inn is a favorite of tourists and locals and drinks are lethal.

Helmet diving is pretty neat if you've never done it. Many opt for dolphin experiences but they are more costly. The helmet dive is about $80 each and an option for non-swimmers or people with glasses that really can't see without them.

Whatever you do you can't lose in Bermuda. You're going to love it. I'm heading there in September for my fourth time.

Cheers,

Rita

Jenny,

I booked the catamaran cruise through RCCL and there was only one option and it was for Wednesday at 9:45 am. I've read some pretty good reviews about it and hope it's nice and not too crowded. We did a catamaran excursion in St Lucia and I loved it! I'm hoping to get to do some shopping and hit Horseshoe Beach on Tuesday and then I'm not sure what else for Wednesday afternoon. The aquarium sounds like it might be a good choice. Do you have any other excursions planned?

I booked the Restless Native Catamaran cruise today. (Weds. 9:45 am) That is the only excursion we are going to do. We are going to play the rest by ear. I got a Frommer's book and it recommends Elbow beach over Horseshoe. Elbow is closer to Hamilton and it looks as if you can ferry it to there from the our port. I'm still reading the book, so I'll keep you posted. I guess there is also some street festival Tuesday night in the Dockyards. I guess it caters to the cruisers. I think we'll check that out also. The final thing I definetly want to do is check out the new Swizzle Inn which is on the South Shore near Warwick.

Welcome aboard dad and son! Have you ever been to Bermuda before? We're still trying to plan our strategy. I see you're from Ithaca - that's not too far from me. This is our first cruise where we will actually be driving to the port so we are really excited about that, especially now with all the security issues at the airport.

Jenny, you'll have to give me some tips from your Fommer's book. I've read so much confusing stuff about the beaches, buses, ferries and taxis. Between Horsehoe Bay Beach, Elbow Beach, Shelly Beach; take a bus, take the ferry, take a taxi; buy the pass, don't buy the pass. My head is swimming!!! Gotta go read more so I can get more confused!

Welcome aboard dad and son! Have you ever been to Bermuda before? We're still trying to plan our strategy. I see you're from Ithaca - that's not too far from me. This is our first cruise where we will actually be driving to the port so we are really excited about that, especially now with all the security issues at the airport.

Jenny, you'll have to give me some tips from your Fommer's book. I've read so much confusing stuff about the beaches, buses, ferries and taxis. Between Horsehoe Bay Beach, Elbow Beach, Shelly Beach; take a bus, take the ferry, take a taxi; buy the pass, don't buy the pass. My head is swimming!!! Gotta go read more so I can get more confused!

Thanks kapeppy. I am driving to the port also and I have to tell you it is so much easier than flying. It takes away a whole layer of stress knowing that you are in control of getting there. I am planning on it being about 5 hours on I-81/I-83 but I think I am still going to go down on Saturday to avoid leaving at 7am.

I too have so many questions since I have never been to Bermuda. I'm doing some online reseach and I let you know what I find.

Chris

Hi Chris,

So I see you deserted us to go on the Grandeur!!!! Never been to Bermuda either so let us know how it is. Next year we're booked again on the Explorer and it will stop one day in Bermuda, can't wait for that. But first it's off on 8/25 to the Carribean. You'll be sailing right after us. Hope you have a great trip!!!

Ok, the more I read the more confused I get! Did anybody else get the call from Royal Caribbean that the ship will be leaving an hour early? It's not a big deal for us since we are driving down to Baltimore on Friday but I'm glad I'm not flying with all the delays!

I'm thinking of buying the bus & ferry pass and hit Horseshoe Bay Beach in the morning, do some sightseeing near the dockyard, maybe take a ferry ride to Hamilton just to get a different view of some of the island, dinner on the ship, and then the street festival in the evening. Next day we get up early for our excursion and then I'm thinking we might go to Elbow Beach and then do any last minute shopping before sailaway. Any other ideas or "must sees?"

I can't wait!

Kris,

We also signed up for the Segway Tour of the Dockyard for Tues. Morning. It is at 9:30am and it tours the Dockyard which we were going to do anyway. It got a recommended over in the Port of Call section.

Ok, the more I read the more confused I get! Did anybody else get the call from Royal Caribbean that the ship will be leaving an hour early? It's not a big deal for us since we are driving down to Baltimore on Friday but I'm glad I'm not flying with all the delays!

I'm thinking of buying the bus & ferry pass and hit Horseshoe Bay Beach in the morning, do some sightseeing near the dockyard, maybe take a ferry ride to Hamilton just to get a different view of some of the island, dinner on the ship, and then the street festival in the evening. Next day we get up early for our excursion and then I'm thinking we might go to Elbow Beach and then do any last minute shopping before sailaway. Any other ideas or "must sees?"

I can't wait!

Yes, the ship now sails at 4pm instead of 5pm because of "speed constraints" Like you, it really doesn't change my plans because I am driving down on Saturday and plan to be on the ship by 12p.

Archived