Port or Starboard on Southbound Alaska Cruise?

cicerone

Our family is considering a southbound cruise on Regent's Mariner in August 2007. The voyage starts in Anchorage and ends in Seward. I had understood that port was the preferred side, but my agent is saying that either side is good as you will see land for much of the voyage, i.e. the Inside Passage. However, one of the children in the group is handicapped and will need to spend much of each travel day inside the cabin, as would various family members, so the side with the best view is EXTREMELY important for this voyage.

Which side in your experience would be the preferred side for the best views?

We just got back from a Whittier to Vancouver cruise in the inside passage. While I think port is better, its marginally better. There will be open seas on probably 2 days through the gulf of alaska and then from Ketchikan down to the Strait of Georgia, which leads to Vancouver. We saw land all the time on the port side but we were still a long way from shore so you won't get that great of a few. If its clear there are mountains with snow etc, but if its foggy and rainy like our cruise then the side of the ship makes less of a difference.

Hope that helps

We just did southbound and I was very happy we had chosen port side. I know people say it doesn't make much difference but I was glad to always be on the mainland side. There were several times I just enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching the mountains go by. I don't think you see those kind of mountains on the starboard side (southbound). Just my opinion.

Archived