Passport Name question

mstravel

I'm sure I already know what the answe to this question will probably be, but i'll ask anyway. My legal name on BC & DL, is spelled one way but all through school and adult life, my name is spelled slightly different by 2 letters. In the past I have always travelled using the "incorrect" spelling (which I perfer better), but now that i'm about to mail off for my passport, I assume I will have to use the BC & DC spelling, correct??? I noticed when completing my forms at the bottom it asked What other names have I used. If I list a name there will it be used on my passport?

Has anyone else had this problem?Thanks in advance for your honest answers.

I'm sure I already know what the answe to this question will probably be, but i'll ask anyway. My legal name on BC & DL, is spelled one way but all through school and adult life, my name is spelled slightly different by 2 letters. In the past I have always travelled using the "incorrect" spelling (which I perfer better), but now that i'm about to mail off for my passport, I assume I will have to use the BC & DC spelling, correct??? I noticed when completing my forms at the bottom it asked What other names have I used. If I list a name there will it be used on my passport?

Consistancy is best. I'm a 'Jr.', But my BC doesn't say so, and neither does my passport. I have it on my DL, but that is not what I am sending to get a passport. You have to mail your BC, so make it the same.

Vincenzo:)

I suspect if there are different names on the passport application and the BC it will not be processed and returned or it will slow down the process.

Since about 6th grade (I'm 37 now) I've used a different last name than was on my birth cert (raised by stepfather). I even served in the military, worked for the federal govt, got married and have Kids using His last name. Never really woried about it - I had used the name all my adult life. My DL and Soc sec card reflected this name also (added an alias name to the records)

The 1st and only time I ever ran into a problem was in preparing for my 1st cruise. I could not cruise because of the mis-match between my DL and berth cert.

I found it was really easy to have a passport issued reflecting the name I had used most all my life. It just required an appointment to the passport agency in LA and several documents showing the name I was known as in the community. I showed up with WAY more documentation than I needed (military papers, school transcripts, tax returns, utility bills, letters from friends and family etc...)

My appointment took about 5 minutes - I paid and went home. My passport arrived by fedex the next day - I left on my first cruise 4 days later.

Having the passport ended any problems I will ever have with a mis-matched birth cert.

Kind of funny that my Wife and Kids had no problems using my last name (that I couldn't use until I got the passport) to cruise.

Thanks for the responses, espeically from you Wisefamily4, this gives me hope. My major concern will be missing up my AA Advantage account if I will have to start using my birth name, since it doesn't match my AA account. Going at noon today to apply, will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the responses, espeically from you Wisefamily4, this gives me hope. My major concern will be missing up my AA Advantage account if I will have to start using my birth name, since it doesn't match my AA account. Going at noon today to apply, will let everyone know how it goes.

I think it might be important to note that Wisefamily4 went directly to a passport office and did not apply at the Post Office. (at least, thats what I get from his post, WF4, can you confirm please)

It may, or may not make a difference.

vincenzo:)

The name used on your birth certificate is the one that will be printed on your passport because it is your legal name. It is also the one used on your social security card.

The only way you can change this is to go to court and get your name legally changed to the spelling you prefer.

I had this same situation as I disliked the way my first name was spelled. I had it changed legally.

How big of a hassle is to have your 1st name legally changed? Does it involve a lot of paperwork? I live in the state of Texas. I applied for the passport port a few hours ago and I did go to the Passport office. I had to go with the spelling on my BC becuase I didn't have enough doucment with me showing the perferred spelling of my 1st name. now, I need to see if I can my 1st name changed on my Advantage account, becuase I don't want to lose out on Redeeming miles for free flights because the name is spelled different with A.Airlines verses the spelling that will be on my passport.

Guest YesitDonna

I don't know what the passport as to do with your AA miles. Your airline ticket and doesn't have to be the same as your cruise ticket. You can use a DL for ID at the airport, unless you are flying out internationally.

my AA account will not match the spelling of my 1st name that will be printed on my passport and I redeem miles to fly internationally. I can get away with it when flying to Hawaii but not the carribbean.

My husband legally changed his named in 1983 due to being in the music business. He had to go through the court to have this done and they wanted to know if he wanted his name changed from that date or all the way back to his birth date. He changed it back to his birth date so legally everything is now in the name he uses now except for his military records. They are not changed. This is the only problem we had when traveling as his DD214 was in he prior name, had to present the legal documents as proof for new passports and when it came to the military discount for Carnival. :confused: Other than that nothing was ever a probelm.

The name used on your birth certificate is the one that will be printed on your passport because it is your legal name. It is also the one used on your social security card.

The only way you can change this is to go to court and get your name legally changed to the spelling you prefer.

I had this same situation as I disliked the way my first name was spelled. I had it changed legally.

Not true at all.

1st - soc. security card: At age 18, I changed the last name on my soc sec card to match the last name I had used since 6th grade. No court papers needed.

2nd - Passport agency presented with documentation showing you are known in the community by a name other than what is on your BC will issue a passport in that name - no problem - they did it for me.

3rd - Funny thing is - My DL had the right last name (not the one on the BC) but my middle name has always been spelled wrong - This also did not present a problem to the passport agency - They issued a passport to me with my name (first middle and last) spelled correctly.

By the way, yes, I did have to appear at a passport agency. In order to do that, I had to wait until my trip was within 10 days and then get an appointment and show proof I was traveling outside the US in the next 10 days. I also had to pay for the expiditing fee and fedex fees.

My grandma has always gone by Sally but her legal name is Sarah. Her DL and most everything else has Sally (we're not sure how that happened as her BC has Sarah). When she went to go get her passport, since the cruise was booked with the name Sally, she had to present an affadavit and take someone with her who has known her with both names to verify that Sarah and Sally are the same person in order to get Sally on her passport. Oh and she went to the main post office here, which processes passports to do it. She's never had her name legally changed.

Does it really matter if a name isn't spelled the way a person prefers vs your legal name on a passport :confused:

And, I could be wrong, but doesn't "other names you have used" pretain to maiden names, or to people that have legally changed their names? (I am sure people fill that line out all the time though, with Bob for Robert Bill for William, etc)

Maybe I just got the wrong person at the passport office on the day I applied becuse I was told that I needed to use the name as it was spelled on my DL & BC even though I had W2, 401K, Car Insurance Documents and Bank Accounts papers that all showed my name the was it has been spelled since grade school.

I think things have changed since the Patriot Act. My sister got married prior to 9/11 and had no problem changing her name. I just got married and I had to go to the SSA office with my marriage certificate (certified copy), passport and my old SS card. once I got a new SS card I was able to go to the DMV, with my new SS card, certifiied copy of my marriage certificate and the necessary forms. Now that I have my new drivers license and SS card I can change my passport. I believe the rules are bit stricter now than they were even a few years ago.

Archived