What are peak and off peak cruising times?

I am new to cruising I have only been on one princess cruise. That was unfortunetly the Crown princess list cruise. My question is what are on and of peak times of the year and what is the difference in fares? I am really thinking of going on the Explorer of the seas next year to Canada/New England 9 day cruise fron NJ. Also what is too long out to book a cruise? I mean you wouldn't book a cruise for next Oct. or Sep. of 2007 now would you? Are there any advantages to booking so early? Also how much time do you have to cancel before being penalized? Thanks for the help

Never too early because you only have to pay deposit right now. Final payment not due until a couple of months before. You can get deposit back before that.

I am already booked on Liberty of the Seas for 10/6/07 and ship not even finished being built yet.

Booking early will also get you the cabin you want.

It all depends...hurricane season is usually cheaper for the Caribbean cruises, prices usually increase over the holidays and school vacations, Alaska cruises are generally chepaer in May and September which is the beginning and end of that travel season...so it all depends on where and when you want to go. The NE cruises in the fall are peak times due to all those beautiful, colorful trees to look at!

There are lots of advantages to booking early - the main reason (for me) is more cabin choices (don't just go by what's on RCCL's website - call them or have your TA look to see all the cabins avaialble). Many times, cruise prices go up, so by booking out a year or so ahead you have a good chance of securing a better price. Final payment is due about 2 months before your sail date.

Explorer is a great ship, too. My favorite so far.

Hope this info is helpful.

peak season depends on what area you are talking about. holiday periods and the summer in general when school is out are considered peak because most families with children can travel then. the canada/ne you are considering is all peak because it is so short. alaska runs generally from may to september with may and september somewhat lower because they are generally cooler. it is never too early to book - you get the cabin you want - if the prices go up in the meantime, you hold your base price and if prices go down, you get advantage of that also. you are really only out the amount of your deposit, and you will get that back if you cancel within the specified time - usually 60 or 90 days prior to sailing date - and that is also date final payment would be due. the caribbean off peak is generally the hurricane season for obvious reasons.:)

It all depends...hurricane season is usually cheaper for the Caribbean cruises, prices usually increase over the holidays and school vacations, Alaska cruises are generally chepaer in May and September which is the beginning and end of that travel season...so it all depends on where and when you want to go. The NE cruises in the fall are peak times due to all those beautiful, colorful trees to look at!

There are lots of advantages to booking early - my main reason (for me) is more cabin choices (don't just go by what's on RCCL's website - call them or have your TA look to see all the cabins avaialble). Many times, cruise prices go up, so by booking out a year or so ahead you have a good chance of securing a better price. Final payment is due about 2 months before your sail date.

Explorer is a great ship, too. My favorite so far.

Hope this info is helpful.

Thanks for the help. I am dying to sail on Explorer it looks like a giant gorgeous ship. I like the giant ships myself. Mow much bigger is it than Crown P? I mean I know its longer and heavier but will I actually notice its that much bigger? It certainly looks like a beautiful ship.

Thanks for the help. I am dying to sail on Explorer it looks like a giant gorgeous ship. I like the giant ships myself. Mow much bigger is it than Crown P? I mean I know its longer and heavier but will I actually notice its that much bigger? It certainly looks like a beautiful ship.

I've never been on the Crown Princess, so I can't comment on how the size difference. The Explorer is big, but manageable. There's always something going on. I love the Royal Promenade, which has different shops, bars and a cafe. Food is good (some nights better than others) - Portofinos is outstanding. Pools get crowded (lots of chair hogs). Staff is great - our favorite bartender (Rene from Trinidad) and stateroom attendent (Nigel from Grenada) were from Explorer. Sailed her twice already - and hope to go back.

I've never been on the Crown Princess, so I can't comment on how the size difference. The Explorer is big, but manageable. There's always something going on. I love the Royal Promenade, which has different shops, bars and a cafe. Food is good (some nights better than others) - Portofinos is outstanding. Pools get crowded (lots of chair hogs). Staff is great - our favorite bartender (Rene from Trinidad) and stateroom attendent (Nigel from Grenada) were from Explorer. Sailed her twice already - and hope to go back.
Chair hogs seem to be on every cruis I guess. We couldn't get a seat the first day so we got up super early the next and got one. We did use them all day. We actually sat in our seats for a good two hours straight so I don't think we were hogs. One thing that disapinted everyone about the Crown was the very small showers. I hope they are bigger on the Explorer. Also people did complian about the buffet but I didn't have a problem with it. There wre lots of complaints though. I'm wondering what the diffeence is in buffets.

I recently booked the Explorer for a 12 night cruise in Dec 2007. When I was talking to my travel agent she said that the time I am going it off peak because it is after Thanksgiving and before Christmas break. (we are going Dec 2 2007) That is why I think that cruise was such a great price. (since then the price has increased $200pp) Plus I had a C&A coupon and Discover cashback award, so I saved $400.00 total. I would think that for Caribbean sailing off peak times would be when most people would not be able to travel, be it because of work or kids in school. Obviously any break from school and Summer are peak season as everyone wants to go. Depending on the destination though it may always be peak, as was said by other poster, as the season it way too short. Best advice it to book as soon as you can and lock in the priceand cabin. If price goes down you will get credit most of the time.

Hi Everyone,

James, it really does depend where you want to go. The NE/Canada cruises are only done in the fall. Which really makes sense. That is when the fall colors are so beautiful. We did a NE/Canada cruise out of Boston on 10/11. We drove to Boston stayed a couple days before our cruise, boarded the cruise ship and went from Boston to Quebec. In Boston at the start of our cruise we had wonderful balmy temps. Shirt sleeves, no coats. When we got to Quebec there were snow flurries. After our cruise we drove from Boston up into Quebec, Provence and found snow on the ground.

There were a lot of questions on Cruise Critic before we left re: the best time to see peak fall colors in NE. I think the bottom line is......it depends on mother nature.

As far as how far in advance to book a cruise. Some people are already booking 2008. You can cancel or change your booking to another cruise up until "balance due". That is when you really commit.

Hope I've been of help. mems

Hi Everyone,

James, it really does depend where you want to go. The NE/Canada cruises are only done in the fall. Which really makes sense. That is when the fall colors are so beautiful. We did a NE/Canada cruise out of Boston on 10/11. We drove to Boston stayed a couple days before our cruise, boarded the cruise ship and went from Boston to Quebec. In Boston at the start of our cruise we had wonderful balmy temps. Shirt sleeves, no coats. When we got to Quebec there were snow flurries. After our cruise we drove from Boston up into Quebec, Provence and found snow on the ground.

There were a lot of questions on Cruise Critic before we left re: the best time to see peak fall colors in NE. I think the bottom line is......it depends on mother nature.

As far as how far in advance to book a cruise. Some people are already booking 2008. You can cancel or change your booking to another cruise up until "balance due". That is when you really commit.

Hope I've been of help. mems

Archived