Wine Prices on Board Ship

CaribbeanBound

You know when I was on Century at a table for 10 there was only 1 wine drinker besides myself and he only ordered a single glass of wine with his meal. I so enjoy a table where I can enjoy my wine and share in the enjyment with my tablemates. Maybe try something new, experiment a little, have a nice conversation. I missed that with my last table. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time but it would have just been a little more intertaining!

Bill, Thanks for clearing that up for us. We've heard all kinds of different prices. The Celebrity site should answer it once and for all. We want to take several bottles of our favorites on the Transatlantic but a $20.00 fee would make it not worth while.:)

Just a funny aside: we won a bottle of champagne at the Art Auction and when we brought it to the dining room, they charged us a corkage fee for it. I was a little miffed since it really wasn't "free", was it?

Wow - here's your free Champagne, but it'll cost you $12 to drink it. Does sort of put a pall on things.

As free bottles of wine are probably given on a regular basis, one would think they could give you a note or coupon type thing waiving the corkage fee on board. I was given a bottle of wine on another ship (RCCL) and they simply delivered the bottle to the dining room and alerted my wine steward that I would like to enjoy it with dinner. He chilled the bottle ahead of time and there was no fee at all.

Warning: brief tirade approaching...

I should mention that RCCL called it "Champagne" when in fact it was a sparkling wine from California. Tasty (and free of course) but not "Champagne". Sort of a pet peeve of mine when restaurants advertise "Champagne brunch" or "Champagne reception" when in fact what they are serving bears no resemblence to the stuff from France. Lucky if it has a cork type stuff.

Ok we're safe. Geek tirade over.

In any case - sounds like you enjoyed your bubbly, but the ship could have handled it better, through some fairly easy communication.

Tuggers, that sure beats having red wine served to you in a clear green bottle, with no label. Oh, and the glasses, 8oz. glasses that have the look of bathroom ware at Holiday Inn. I had this experience in an Italian restaurant in North Beach, San Fran. Come to find out it is rather a common practice at this restaurant. The vintage, probably that morning. ;)

Bill

Hey Tuggers and wv!

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, we folks in the wine biz have to do a better job of educating restaurant pros and consumers as to the benefits of decent stemware. I know that brands like Riedel are too costly and not durable enough for most restaurants, but somethin tulip shaped with a stem isn't too much to ask I think. If Olive Garden can do it, so can the rest of the world - ya know. That and they don't need to fill the glass to the rim.

As to your North Beach experience, lots of US Italian restaurants have adopted this kitchy tradition of using juice-type glasses for wine. They claim it is what Italians use in their own homes and casual trattorias. Gotta say - I've traveled quite a bit in Italy and never seen it. A few of my Italian buddies defend this notion, claiming its mostly a Southern Italy and island thing, but most honest Italians I've encountered wouldn't dream of putting even the cheapest vino in a juice glass.

I have, on many occasions, encountered the green bottle-no label - no cork - "we have red or white" wines during my travels in rural Italy. Taken in context, its usually OK. Nothing great, but nothing awful either.

Not sure I'd take that chance here in the US though. Even in the very Italian enclave of North Beach.

Glad to know I'm not alone, even if I probably deserve the "cork dork" moniker.

WV: So, I'm guessing you saw the link to the Galaxy wine list? Unfortunately, they don't always tell you the specific region the wine comes from on the menu. But it appears most of the Spanish reds are from Rioja or at least Tempranillo based. Try the "Conde de Valdemar" on the list if you get a chance. Its delish!

Its not uncommon for any Rioja to have a tart cherry or berry flavor if it is young and made in what may be referred to in a "new world" style. A few Rioja winery labels that are pretty widely available in that style might be:

Marques Bujanda "Conde de Valdemar"

Bodegas Montecillo (might be Monticello sp?)

Marques de Caceras

Stick to the younger "crianza" designations over the "reserva" and "gran reserva" I think, for the flavors you are looking for.

Otherwise, ask your wine merchant for something Spanish made from the grape Garnacha. It can give off some strong cherry notes in the less expensive wines, too.

Cheers!

We are just off the Infinity this past Sunday 7/11. The corkage fee was $20 and clearly stated in the daily Celebrity Today. The wine list is marked up about 3X-4X what you will pay retail when you include the 15% tip. While we did buy a couple of bottles at dinner we also brought several bottles on board and went into dinner with a full glass of wine to enjoy with our dinner (which we corked and poured in our cabin.) $36 for a bottle we can buy in our local grocery store for $9 is a bit much.

Darn , that corkage fee quoted by DRK sure goes against what is posted on the Celebrity website. I have emailed Celebrity to try and get their official answer and will let everyone know the response I get. It would not be the first time that their official website may not have been updated with the current information.

Bill

We are just off the Infinity this past Sunday 7/11. The corkage fee was $20 and clearly stated in the daily Celebrity Today. The wine list is marked up about 3X-4X what you will pay retail when you include the 15% tip. While we did buy a couple of bottles at dinner we also brought several bottles on board and went into dinner with a full glass of wine to enjoy with our dinner (which we corked and poured in our cabin.) $36 for a bottle we can buy in our local grocery store for $9 is a bit much.

We did in fact get a bottle of the Greg Norman Shiraz...it was $31...but when you add in the 15% it came close to $36. We got it because I thought it was marked up less than the others. The $20 corkage fee was listed each day in the Celebrity today.

Also there was a charge for express/cappucino in the dining room. You also had to ask someone from the staff to get you a package of hot chocolate...even on the buffet...on an Alaska cruise!

Sorry...I hate getting nickeled and dimed...or having to ask for something that used to be readily available.

I would agree that the mark ups on wine are definitely higher than what you would expect in a restaurant in a major city. Greg Norman's regular bottling runs about $10 in national average. Sometimes $8 in competitive markets.) I expect double retail and find that reasonable - but 3x and 4x is a bit hard to swallow. There are some nice bargains to be had on the high end though. Some of the really fancy stuff was priced quite fairly. It seems the toughest deal is on the most inexpensive wines. I know my logic isn't terribly sound, but I always talk myself into the $75 bottle pointing out what a "bargain" it is. I know, I know, I'm a freak.

No you are not.............just a "cork dork." ;)

[quote name='winediva'] I know my logic isn't terribly sound, but I always talk myself into the $75 bottle pointing out what a "bargain" it is. I know, I know, I'm a freak.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='winediva']
Warning: brief tirade approaching...

I should mention that RCCL called it "Champagne" when in fact it was a sparkling wine from California. Tasty (and free of course) but not "Champagne". Sort of a pet peeve of mine when restaurants advertise "Champagne brunch" or "Champagne reception" when in fact what they are serving bears no resemblence to the stuff from France. Lucky if it has a cork type stuff.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one..drives me nuts!! If it's sparking wine, way it's sparkling wine. It's the same as Crab..I can't tell you how many times I've sent back a crab sandwich or a crab salad that's Pollock UGH!

Wine Diva and Tuggers

Ever been on Cunard – you would like the wine list and service on QE2 (wish I could say the same for QM2 but they seem to have stewards who know bare basics about wine – at least in the Britannia DR).

Wine Diva, I fell the same way about Champagne which was why on our recent Radisson cruise to Bermuda, we were pleased to be greeted with a glass of Verve Cliquot as we boarded the ship. Wine was included with dinner (and everything was very good to delicious). First the white was poured, then with your entrée red was offered (and if you wanted red or white through the entire meal they would comply, or you could request a wine served on a previous evening). Radisson has spoiled me when it comes to wine.

Jeanne

Just a recommendation when selecting wine from any wine list...if you are undecided and have an experienced, knowledgeable wine steward ask him/her this..."I expect there is a truly outstanding wine here, at a reasonable price, that you would recommend" They will ofen respond with some questions about your likes, dislikes and what you have ordered for dinner. I have found more excellently priced, wonderful wine this way.This is how I found St.Francis Merlot/California which I love to this day (1999).

Joyce -
I have always brought a few bottles of wine on board in my checked luggage. No one has ever asked me about it. As Celebrity has an advertised corkage fee, you should have no worries bringing it in your carry on. Officially, they reserve the right to refuse you - but they never do. Worst case scenario - which I've never seen happen - is that they hold your wine for you until the end of the cruise. I'm not sure I woudl brazenly wheel 2 cases on board with your carry ons - but a modest selection should be no problem.

Jeanne - thanks for the tip. I may check them out for my next voyage. I'm already booked on the Century for 8/28! Yippeeeeeee!!!!!!

Archived