New England in the fall

Sue's Mom

Is it possible to "do" New England in the fall when on a cruise? which is the best cruise to look at?

DH and I would love to see the leaves but really don't want to spend our entire vacation just driving and looking at leaves. And we both like cruising. So it would seem a good idea (to us) to try and combine the two.

Any suggestions please? :)

Sue'sMom,

HAL, Princess, Cunard, NCL, Carnival and Celebrity all do New England/Canada cruises. HAL, Princess and Celebrity go indepth to Montreal and Quebec Canada, while NCL, Carnival seem to stay more

in the US. I'm on Celebrity 9/24 out of NYC going to Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Quebec, Saint John and back to NYC (11 days). I have booked excursions to see more of the foliage in the woods around Bar Harbor and rented a car to drive ourselves in Saint John. We thought this itinerary was ideal to see the US and Canada for Fall Foliage. It isn't a cheap cruise, but we are really looking forward to it. Another poster had a good idea. Make a list of the things you want to see and do, then check the different itineraries that cover the most of what you want to do. I was adamant I wanted to see Quebec, so that narrowed the field for me. However, Carnival and NCL are lot more reasonable rates doing only 7 day US and one Canadian Port. Have fun, whatever you choose.

RCCL also does a New England/Cananda cruise but does not go to Quebec. We are leaving out of Boston going to Martha's Vineyard, Portland, Bar Harbor, St Johns and Halifax and returning to Boston. (7 day cruise)

We are booked on a Crystal New England cruise on Sept. 21. Can't wait!! It's a round trip from New York stopping in Halifax, Bar Harbor, Boston (overnight) and Newport.

I compared a driving tour of this area and a cruise and found the cruise more reasonable than hotels, car rental and gas, and meals. Plus the cruise reduces the stress from driving. We will just go to sleep and wake up in the next port.

I wish you all wonderful trips on your upcoming voyages. I did the 7 day Canada New England last year on the Golden Princess and loved every minute of it. We went Oct. 1st and it was still a little too early for the leaves to have changed but we had great weather and the ports are beautiful. We did miss Bar Harbor due to extreme fog (QM2 was next to us and we couldn't even see her) so I want to go back again soon.

Newport RI and Boston were among my favorite ports!

Vicki

Archived