TSA helping Princess new wine policy

BarbaraP

Well the TSA just helped the Princess new wine policy if you have to fly to get to your embarkation port!!! Two bottles of wine is about all you can get into a suitcase if you want enough clothes for a long trip. I wonder if the airlines will be increasing the number of bags you can check in. Don't ya know I just bought one of those fancy insulated wine cellars on wheels to use as a carry-on.

:( :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: Oh well, it's the cruise that counts!!!! Barb

Maybe it is just me, but it only took me once to see a bottle of red wine to explode in a suitcase to never pack one there! If I need bottles, I would personally find a place to purchase once I am near the port. But the rolling wine cooler sounds cool!

Here's what LARGIN just posted under a different thread. I'm bolding the part about carrying the liquor.

Here are the current rules from the TSA. I could not find anything written that this would change under a "Red/Orange" air alert.

Alcohol - more than 70 percent alcohol content (140 proof), is prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage. Up to 5 liters of alcohol with alcoholic content between 24 percent and 70 percent are allowed per person as carry-on or checked luggage if packaged in its retail container.

It looks like you wouldn't (or shouldn't) be allowed to pack liquor in your carry-on or checked luggage anyway.

Alcohol - more than 70 percent alcohol content (140 proof), is prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage. Up to 5 liters of alcohol with alcoholic content between 24 percent and 70 percent are allowed per person as carry-on or checked luggage if packaged in its retail container.[/i]

It looks like you wouldn't (or shouldn't) be allowed to pack liquor in your carry-on or checked luggage anyway.

I read that differently than you. To me, it reads that so long as the liquor is 140 proof or less (which most is) and in it's original container, it's not a problem to bring up to 5 liters (on a plane that is). Am I missing something?

-Monte

Well you can't carry any liquids on the plane now unless you want to use up part of your 50 lbs per bag limit... so it's a moot point...

but I do wonder: if under these circumstances you can afford the cruise (which I am assuming we all can), then maybe not being able to bring your own wine, sodas etc for a while and purchasing them on board is really a small price to pay for your security? Or get them at your destination... maybe I'm just not picky enough.:confused: :rolleyes:

...let's see who flames the "mod"..:eek:

Well you can't carry any liquids on the plane now unless you want to use up part of your 50 lbs per bag limit... so it's a moot point...

but I do wonder: if under these circumstances you can afford the cruise (which I am assuming we all can), then maybe not being able to bring your own wine, sodas etc for a while and purchasing them on board is really a small price to pay for your security? Or get them at your destination... maybe I'm just not picky enough.:confused: :rolleyes:

All these toiletries and other items not allowed to be carried on the plane and put in the checked luggage really will increase the weight of the luggage, and I'm sure the airlines will make a fortune on fines for overweight luggage now! Besides the toiletries, cameras, laptops, and now liquor and all other fluids in the luggage, that really doesn't allow much more for clothing :eek:

Hopefully the airlines will remind the baggage handlers that there's more in the luggage than clothing which they can just throw around!:mad:

Flame the mod - not a chance - not when couldn't agree with you more. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy your drinks onboard. For those who want wine that is not available onboard, have it sent to meet you at the ship.

I really believe all this nonsense about smuggling booze onboard is just that, nonsense.

I bet that the airlines will be shelling out lots more in damaged luggage and damaged items with the new rules. My concern would be, if your laptop cost $1500 and you pack it in your luggage which goes missing with your clothes. How much is the airline going to reimburse you? My second question is, if the laptop is for personal use and not business, why would you bring your laptop?

Flame the mod....hmmmm is that like biting the hand that feeds?
More like teasing the tiger...:)

I agree with our charming and gracious Host, when it comes to prioritizing security and getting a cheap buzz on, the choice should be pretty obvious.

I've placed my shampoo and items like that into my checked bags for years since I hate carrying all that weight with me. I just put them in double ziploc bags and pack them into the suitcases. Yes, it leaves less for clothes but I guess I'm okay with that.

As far as those worried about not being able to carry on liquids so you won't have them for your cruise, you'll just have to adjust and make a quick stop once you reach your port to get whatever it is you want.

All these toiletries and other items not allowed to be carried on the plane and put in the checked luggage really will increase the weight of the luggage, and I'm sure the airlines will make a fortune on fines for overweight luggage now! Besides the toiletries, cameras, laptops, and now liquor and all other fluids in the luggage, that really doesn't allow much more for clothing :eek:

Hopefully the airlines will remind the baggage handlers that there's more in the luggage than clothing which they can just throw around!:mad:

I hadn't heard anything that you couldn't bring cameras and laptops on the plane. I read the advisories from some of the big airlines on their websites and the restrictions relate only to liquids. Midwest Airlines' site clearly states that carry-on bags are still permitted, however, the restriction is only for liquids. They also state that they've upped their free baggage person from two to three.

I also don't know that'd I'd "blame" TSA for this . . . blame the terrorists. However, more security isn't a bad thing - just a pain. But frankly, I think being dead would be a bigger pain. My only "complaint" is that I heard this a.m. on the news that lipstick would also have to be in checked baggage and on this thread or somewhere else, someone's chapstick was tossed . . . I don't leave the house without my chapstick in my pocket . . . oh well, dry lips, here I come!

That is good to know. All I read about laptops was that in order to speed things up, you should either leave your laptop at home or pack it in checked luggage.

I think I'd leave the laptop at home -- that's a heck of a risk to take by putting it in luggage, along with all the liquids.

Oh well.

I hadn't heard anything that you couldn't bring cameras and laptops on the plane. I read the advisories from some of the big airlines on their websites and the restrictions relate only to liquids. Midwest Airlines' site clearly states that carry-on bags are still permitted, however, the restriction is only for liquids. They also state that they've upped their free baggage person from two to three.

I also don't know that'd I'd "blame" TSA for this . . . blame the terrorists. However, more security isn't a bad thing - just a pain. But frankly, I think being dead would be a bigger pain. My only "complaint" is that I heard this a.m. on the news that lipstick would also have to be in checked baggage and on this thread or somewhere else, someone's chapstick was tossed . . . I don't leave the house without my chapstick in my pocket . . . oh well, dry lips, here I come!

I JUST WANNA SEE SOME ONE TOUCHING MY MAKE UP:mad:

I posted this same thing on another thread. The following information was taken off a Kansas City news channel website, I think it's a good "tool" to use for travel. And, self-explanatory.

LIQUIDS

Banned from carry-on luggage

That includes drinks, toothpaste, perfume, shampoo, hair gel and suntan lotion

Drinks purchased in the airport cannot be carried onto flights

SHOES

Must be removed and placed on an X-ray belt for screening

PASSENGERS

Asked to arrive at least two hours early to allow for additional screening

Additional wait time may be required at particularly busy airports, including Newark International, Chicago O'Hare, Atlanta Hartsfield, New York Kennedy, Los Angeles International, Dulles International in the Washingtom, D.C. metro area., and Boston Logan.

ALSO BANNED (on British flights only)

Laptop computers

Mobile phones

iPods

Flame the mod - not a chance - not when couldn't agree with you more. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy your drinks onboard. For those who want wine that is not available onboard, have it sent to meet you at the ship.

I really believe all this nonsense about smuggling booze onboard is just that, nonsense.

AMEN, people need to stop being cheap and just buy it on board! Booze and cigarettes seem to be the only important things to some people. If you can afford a cruise, you can afford to buy it onboard. If not then either don't cruise and whine about not being able to smuggle your precious booze on or just don't drink.

ALSO BANNED (on British flights only)

Laptop computers

Mobile phones

iPods

This can be taken a couple of different ways and since two posters above referred to whether these items (and cameras) are banned as carry ons, here is the situation as of today (I am sure it will change). These items are banned as carry on items for flights originating in Britain. If you are flying to Britain from the US, you may take them as carry on but you might not be able to take them as carry on when returning from Britain. Also, this does not apply only to British Airways but to all flights with all airlines from or within Britain.

AMEN, people need to stop being cheap and just buy it on board! Booze and cigarettes seem to be the only important things to some people. If you can afford a cruise, you can afford to buy it onboard. If not then either don't cruise and whine about not being able to smuggle your precious booze on or just don't drink.

Whether you can afford to buy it onboard or not doesn't seem to be the issue to me or to most people. Do you want to spend your money that way? I don't drink much at all so it is not a big deal to me.

But I bought a 6-pack of Diet Coke at a port last month and brought it onto the ship with me. Why? Because I don't drink enough soft drinks to buy a soda card and I reallly didn't want to pay more than twice as much for a soft drink through room service when all I wanted was a can or two of the stuff during the cruise.

"If you can afford a cruise, then you can afford to buy the ship's photos and not take your own camera onboard" could be a similar unjust argument.

Don't Drink?

Port side stores will be happy. Anyone know a good store in San Jaun that's close to the ship dock? I still like the couple from the land down under that cruise with a credit card and that was it. Not that I could do that myself.

Archived