San Diego residents, please help!

zebra

We are going on the Monarch 4 day in April. Hubby usually lets me pick and plan our cruises & excursions, but when he found out that we were going to San Diego, he was adamant about going to see the Midway & the Maritime Museum. I love casual shopping and "quaint" areas. After a short search it looks to me that we could get off the ship and walk to the Midway. After a couple of hours there we could walk to Seaport Village, have lunch, shop and be back to the ship to relax before dinner. Does that sound doable? Any other suggestions? :)

Does anyone have alink to a simple map that would show me how to get to each of these places from the ship? It doesn't take much to get me wandering aimlessly in circles in full view of my destination!:rolleyes:

Sounds like my kind of a day! I'm a SD native. The Midway is a great new addition to the Maritime Museum (tip: if you get there when it first opens, go straight to the flight deck to tour the bridge. It's a tight area to get up and around to and if you get there first you'll have the place to yourself (a docent will give you a mini tour). When you're done go back down and take the rest of the tour. By that time everyone else will be lining up to take the bridge tour!

Seaport Village has "fun" shopping (no major department stores here, just totally unique shops for souvenirs and neat gifts. There are several good places to eat here that have nice views of the harbor. Take a walk through Embarcadero Marina Park (I got engaged there!) behind Seaport Village. Lots of yachts to dream you owned!

Here's a link to a "not great but will do" map of the area you'll be walking to/from the cruise ship to Seaport Village and in between:

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/28_walkingtour2:theembarcadero.jpg

Also visit www.sandiego.org for more tourist information. It's a pretty useful sight! And most of all, enjoy your stay here!:)

Julie

I also thank you for the information. My husband and I are going to stay in San Diego 2 days before and after our cruise. We are going to stay in the Best Western Cabrillo Garden Inn. I want to go to the Zoo for sure. My husband in an Old Navy Guy - I didn't know the Midway was there.....he will be thrilled to hear it!

What is the weather going to be in January? I know for sure it will be warmer than here - but that is not saying too much!! LOL :D

Hard call to make about the weather in January, some Januarys are in the high 70's and you could wear shorts other times its cold and in the low 60's...definetly plan to bring a light jacket, but nothing too heavy, I have lived in SD for all my 26 years and don't own a coat or a umbrella if that tells you anything about our weather, almost year round you can count on 70 something and sunny...it really depends on what you are used too, my family comes to visit from PA and while I might be freezing, they think its warm...

I also thank you for the information. My husband and I are going to stay in San Diego 2 days before and after our cruise. We are going to stay in the Best Western Cabrillo Garden Inn. I want to go to the Zoo for sure. My husband in an Old Navy Guy - I didn't know the Midway was there.....he will be thrilled to hear it!

What is the weather going to be in January? I know for sure it will be warmer than here - but that is not saying too much!! LOL :D

While it could rain, be chilly or be quite warm, I can guarantee that you will NOT need to pack snow boots!:D

Thanks for the great map, couponluvr! It is simple and show me exactly where we need to go.

Evryone has been so full of useful information - I am sure that I will be using much of it. you are all the best!:D

No problem! Glad I could help you! I also forgot to send you this link:

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?name=/ecodb/1amnorth&func=live&skin=Nov2004SOSD&overlay=default

It's a live web cam of the cruise terminal so you can see where the ship will come in (or maybe have your relatives and friends "watch you" when you come in!) You'll most likely be parked on the right side of the terminal. You can also toggle the camera to the left or right or up or down and can see all over San Diego. Go a bit to the left and you'll see the Midway. Go up and over to the left and you can see your ship coming in and out (well, you won't but your friends will!) We have cameras all over downtown San Diego from this site... play and enjoy.

If you have ANY other questions feel free to ask!

Julie

I live in SD and I must add that anything you do you will have a great time...since you are at Balboa Park visit some museums, walk around the zoo for a while than walk over to the museums than go back and finish up with the zoo!!! If you are looking to shop there is also a wonderful Mall called "Horton Plaza" in the Gaslamp district ,or Seaport Village,both are only about a 10 minute taxi ride from the port.

Sandiego Rocks!!!!:D

Yo splinter!! you are behind the times...watch shamu at sites i posted here...it is a great show for kids and adults

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un59NmHJgj8

I disagree. I love the zoo and go there many times every year. Hate Sea World and have not been in several years. You can go to Sea World in many other locations...there is only one San Diego Zoo.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to be in San Diego the day before our Osterdam cruise on 12/2. We will stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt a couple blocks from the pier again this year the night before and the night after our cruise. (Loved it the last couple of times and got to see our ship come in) We plan on taking wine on board and know about Ralph's and will take a cab over there the day of the cruise. However, DH LOVES Tillamook Sharp Cheddar cheese which we can no longer buy in Macon, GA and Ralph's did not carry it last year. Are there any other groceries within a reasonable distance from the Hyatt where we might possibly be able to purchase a BUNCH of this wonderful cheese to bring home with us?

We love your beautiful city and would live there if we could....

Thanks....

Nancy

Nancy,

Did you try the Ralph's in Hillcrest--1030 (East) University (619) 298-2931? It is near a Trader Joe's--1092 (East) University (619) 296-3122 which has some inreresting wines and many sharp cheddars--the white from Vermont (Cabot's) is really good, IMO. It is a cab ride, but in an area with some good restaurants, too. I've never been in the Ralph's downtown, but the one near me (La Jolla) has the Tillamook--sharp, extra sharp, and reserve!

The yellow pages lists a cheese shop on 754 WEST Washington, near I-5 which I just called--but they're only open M-Sat 10-6, so I couldn't ask about Tillamook. The recording said their website http://www.venissimo.com lists the cheeses they carry.

There is a Von's (owned by Safeway) at 450 WEST University (619) 295-0688), 2 blocks from Venissimo, but I've never been in it.

BTW, I was able to tour the Tillamook factory on a ship's excursion (Radiance of the Seas) this last May, when we called at Astoria, Oregon--they make great ice-cream, too!

Happy Cruising.

I bought Tilamook cheese at Ralph's yesterday, so you may want to check again.

If you are going all the way to Hillcrest, you could also check out the Whole Foods there which has an extensive cheese selection.

711 University Avenue

San Diego, CA 92103

Trader's Joe's may be less expensive though.

We are going to be in San Diego the day before our Osterdam cruise on 12/2. We will stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt a couple blocks from the pier again this year the night before and the night after our cruise. (Loved it the last couple of times and got to see our ship come in) We plan on taking wine on board and know about Ralph's and will take a cab over there the day of the cruise. However, DH LOVES Tillamook Sharp Cheddar cheese which we can no longer buy in Macon, GA and Ralph's did not carry it last year. Are there any other groceries within a reasonable distance from the Hyatt where we might possibly be able to purchase a BUNCH of this wonderful cheese to bring home with us?

We love your beautiful city and would live there if we could....

Thanks....

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I love to hear that you love our fine city! I agree with the previous poster that Ralphs is the only downtown grocery store and I am surprised they don't carry (or at least they didn't when you came last time) the cheese you were searching for. The other stores that were suggested may cost you a lot in taxi fares. Can I suggest that maybe you go online to Vons.com (I just checked and they carry the Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese - 8 Oz and 32 Oz bricks), order oodles and pay to have them deliver to the hotel. I think the delivery charge might be, what, maybe $10? Might end up being cheaper than a taxi fare, plus you are guaranteed to find what you need and not waste time looking for it! Just a thought. BTW, the Manchester Grand Hyatt is a great hotel, I love the access to Seaport Village plus you must have a drink up in the sky bar!

Enjoy your stay here. We fly out on Dec. 1 for our Dec. 2 cruise on the Grand to the Western Caribbean.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure there is any place to check luggage! If you're flying out the same day, you could take a cab to the airport (2 miles, max), check the luggage, get boarding passes, etc. and go back. Or, if you're staying overnight (please, the City needs your tax money!) you could probably store your bags there, if the room isn't ready. As a long shot, you could just leave your bags in the shed/tent until your visit to the Midway is over, and claim them then--you'd have to be sure there were no left-over tags from your embarkation--they might try to send your bags on another cruise!

Another long shot--if you are staying at a SD hotel before your cruise, ask them if you could stow the bags for a few hours on your return. The bell captain might need a little per$uading, but it could work. A really long shot--contact the bell captain at the Holday Inn across the street from the pier to see if he/she needs a donation to the "retirement fund"!

Happy Cruising

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone give me a few nice hotels I can look into for 2 nights before cruise in Oct 2007? Thanks for your help

Hi, a native here, speaking from experience, the Manchester Grand Hyatt is very nice to start/end a vacation. It's close to the terminal, nice rooms and the views are stunning. Plus it's adjacent to Seaport Village, full of shops and restaurants.

Archived