End of Booze boxes

JimGinPA

I'm assuming that this is the end of returning from the Caribbean with those 2,3,and 4 bottle boxes of booze that many cruisers bring back home with them. You wouldn't want to check them in as luggage, and now they can't be carried on. What happens to all the duty free liquor stores found on every island? specially the 2 great big ones in St. Maarten?

I'm assuming that this is the end of returning from the Caribbean with those 2,3,and 4 bottle boxes of booze that many cruisers bring back home with them. You wouldn't want to check them in as luggage, and now they can't be carried on. What happens to all the duty free liquor stores found on every island? specially the 2 great big ones in St. Maarten?

The news just said that even the Duty free shops in the airports here (NYC area) have taken all poerfumes and liquor out of their sales (basically and liquids)

yeah that's fine and dandy but we usually bring back two boxes of 6 bottles each...can't hardly pack that away very easily, your luggage can only weigh so much before they start charging you

Unless you have a TREMENDOUS amount of luggage (like 4 suitcases and 2 carryons for 2 people), have the liquor store pack the bottles carefully in liquor boxes and check them in on your flight. Make sure they are labeled and securly sealed.

Or, take a cruise from a port is accessible by driving or train so you don't have to worry about flying at all (not an option for everyone, I know). And, I do believe they will ship them to your house. However, some states won't allow you to receive liquor at your home (MD is one that won't). So, we have some friends in West Virginia who will receive it for us (for a small fee, of course ;) )

However, some states won't allow you to receive liquor at your home (MD is one that won't). So, we have some friends in West Virginia who will receive it for us (for a small fee, of course ;) )

Stupid Maryland:( :mad: . We are getting orders there next year, and let me tell you, I am sorely bummed about this rotten regulation.. Living smack dab in the middle of wine country for the last two years has spoiled me rotten. But, luckily, Mr Spook has a sister in nearby in Virginia.. who has solemnly promised to not drink TOO many of the ones that get shipped to her house...:rolleyes: ;)

I hate that regulation, too. But, at least we both have a way around the system. Where in Maryland will you be living? Some info. about liquor purchases: Montgomery, Howard, Prince George's counties all have extremely high liquor taxes. We moved from Montgomery to Carroll county 4 years ago and found the liquor prices where we live now are a little over 1/2 of what they were in Montgomery County (well, ok, just about everything is almost 1/2 of what you'd pay in Montgomery).

Other than that, we love MD. We've lived here all our lives.

You've got to think that all of these liquor stores in all the ports around the world that survive on our sales will come up with some kind of packaging now so we can check them on the planes or have them delivered back home. What will they do without us buying all that Liquor?? We dont buy it to drink on the ship, they dont allow us to, we buy it to take home...They'll come up with something, you can count on it.

"yeah that's fine and dandy but we usually bring back two boxes of 6 bottles each..."

It seems to me this is in excess of what is allowed by customs. Care to explain how you bring back so much liquor?

"yeah that's fine and dandy but we usually bring back two boxes of 6 bottles each..."

It seems to me this is in excess of what is allowed by customs. Care to explain how you bring back so much liquor?

I think you can bring 5 or 6 liters back from the Caribbean duty free so long as xx amount is purchased from a US territory such as St. Thomas. I can't remember the exact rules. So they may be under the duty-free limit and, if not, they can still bring it in but may have to pay a nominal duty charge on the excess depending on whether the customs officer is in the mood to charge it.

Is anyone aware of whether they will ship. I am stopping in st thomas and with restrictions there are three of us. that is quite a bit of weight and restriction. is it possible to have your liquor boxes shipped to your home. (tennessee):confused:

Critter,

You can bring in 5 liters as long as 4 of them are purchased in St. Thomas or any other island in the US Virgin Islands. I guess you are right that they just pay the duty. I was hoping for some process to avoid the duty and the hassle.

Bass,

I suspect most places will ship. It is only a question of how much it will cost and whether it is worth the price. If you add the shipping cost to the cost of the liquor, you may be better off buying at your local Costco. The old adage is still true. "Don't buy anything in the Caribbean that you haven't shopped (and know the price of) back home".

I bought 3 bottles of rum in St. Thomas and just packed them in my luggage. They were in a liquor box and I packed my clothes all around it so it would be padded. All three bottles made it home safe and sound!

However, we saw a number of people with very soggy suitcases! So I guess if you pack it right you will be okay.

Stupid Maryland:( :mad: . We are getting orders there next year, and let me tell you, I am sorely bummed about this rotten regulation.. Living smack dab in the middle of wine country for the last two years has spoiled me rotten. But, luckily, Mr Spook has a sister in nearby in Virginia.. who has solemnly promised to not drink TOO many of the ones that get shipped to her house...:rolleyes: ;)

Hate to burst your bubble, but I think Virginia is the same way with not allowing alcohol shipped in. Our liqour is very regulated.

Double check that...WV may be your best bet...as it is unregulated there.

I fell in love with Vsittui... (Especially their Muscato and Medara ~I hope I spelled those right.) .....after visiting Napa a couple of summers ago. Because we bought wine while we were there (in the good ole days when you could carefully hand carry it home on the plane) our state allows them to ship it to us. But it can only ship to people in Tennessee who have made in store purchases first.

Talk about crazy!!

Where in Maryland will you be living? Some info. about liquor purchases: Montgomery, Howard, Prince George's counties all have extremely high liquor taxes.

Greeaaaatttt.. we are 99% sure he's getting orders to Ft Meade, either at the Ft itself or the Suitland annex... 1% chance of NSA or that funky building with four walls and a spare.

so of course we are looking at Prince Georges and Howard counties...

• 2 weeks later...
Will liquor stores in port ship items directly to your home? T

Seems to defeat the savings. Add up the packing material, handling costs, shipping costs and you probably could get it at Costco cheaper.

I have one of these for my cameras. And if you shop around the net you can get discounts, but Pelican cases are waterproof and you can pack them to bring anything home OK

http://www.pelican.com/

But the initial cost is high and you would have to use it enough times to make it worth the effort.

So how many trips do you have to make to pay for the cases ? It looks like you can pay hundreds of dollars for a case that probably will transport 3-4 bottles. Even saw a larger one for $350+. Doesn't seem very cost effective. :confused: Only seems reasonable if there is something you want that you cannot get at home.

You can also purchases styrofoam shippers similar to the ones in the link below and check it thru esp since some folks bring folding rolling coolers. pack with styrofoam shippers label and send

http://www.bevmo.com/productlist.asp?Ntt=styrofoam&Ntk=All&D=styrofoam&Nty=1

This sounds like a wonderful way to handle the problem of bringing home

liquor, but do the shops carry them. We are going to be in SanJuan,St.Marteen,Aruba,St.Thomas and Curcao (spelling?).

Thanks for the help!

Archived