TSA Information - Special Needs

Starr Mtn

Keep in mind that applies only to flights within the USA. In Europe (esp. in England right now) they are no longer allowing you through security in your own wheelchar. You must transfer to an airport chair and check your wheelchair there. Not clear if they are assisting with the transfer or not, or if the wheelchairs have removable armrests to facilitate this for those who cannot walk or stand. No flying outside the USA for us until this is resolved.

Splinter - thanks for the clarification !

Later in the day I did hear a brief mention re no personal wheelchair

into the "sterile area" as they were calling it. Sounds like a logistic

nightmare - because they cannot have enough airport wheelchairs and

"pushers" ........

We just delayed a Florida trip until things settle down. With the need to get to the airport 3 hours before the flight - and the no personal wheelchair issues, we're going to take a wait and see attitude. Also, I would never pack out medications for any trip no matter how long or short in checked luggage. If the meds are stolen, my dh life is at stake. We understand the new rule (for today) is only sufficient medication for the flight are allowed as carry ons. Am I correct on this point?:confused:

My DH was at Heathrow on Thursday, trying to get home from a business trip to London. The passengers were only allowed to carry meds for that flight, along with passport, eyeglasses, tickets, etc. Books were not even allowed. He had to repack, and check his cell phone, computer, mp3 player, and even all of his work material, which were papers. As I understand it, within the US, you can have a carryon, and carry your meds, electronics, and everything except liquids. On Thursday, at least, you could not carry that stuff between the UK and the US. My DH wondered about hearing aids, as nothing with batteries was allowed in the airplane cabin. ?????

We're supposed to be taking DD on a trip mid September, flying to see relatives in the UK. She has CP and uses a special seating system. We can't just put her in any wheelchair, she flops out the sides! Will they have chairs with seating systems or can we take her system and put it into the airport wheelchair (it is removeable)? She just won't go in a normal chair, she needs way too much support.

It's been quite a few years ago, but I once flew with a friend who was in a similar condition. The airline (don't recall which one now) used a chair that was almost like those used by EMT's with straps to stabilize the person. It could be adjusted to be upright, reclining or flat. Worked perfectly for her.

Archived