Snorkeling from beach on Half Moon Cay

phillyburbslady

we took the excursion and it was wonderful.. beautiful coral and gorgeous fish.. the boat is right at HMC and just goes around the other side of the island and you get to snorkel right over a gorgeous reef

I'm a diver, but have snorkeled as well as dived Half Moon numerous times. The swimming and snorkeling area are supervised, and although there are some rocky areas for snorkeling, the real reefs are beyond the controlled area. If you really want to enjoy the reefs, you need to book through Shroex!

Thom,

I have been to HMC a few times and look forward to just swimming out to the snorkeling area on my own. I can see quite a bit.

My question is:

HMC is our last stop on a Southern Caribbean trip, after Aruba, Curacao, Dominca, and St. Thomas. I have plans to snorkel in each of these locations. Will I see anything better by doing the excursion from HMC?

Thanks.

I think Host Star's post is accurate. For good snorkeling take the excursion.

I have not snorkeled at HMC but I did talk to a couple of people who snorkeled on their own from the beach around the rocks. The said it was lousy. I do remember reading some time ago that Hal was trying to get a reef going in that area, but these things take time.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for and what level you are at. Granted, it is not as good as Cozumel or looking at sunken tugboats in the caribbean. On my first visit there, I was able to see numerous schools of damsels, individual wrasses, and schools of silvery and snapper-like fish. They do have some artificial reefs laid out for the fish to frolic through. If you want to enjoy HMC AND snorkel without spending a half day away from the beach for the same price you can snorkel at even better places in the caribbean, I say snorkel on your own at HMC for a bit and then enjoy the beautiful island.

Archived