On Board: purchasing the Bon Voyage Liquor Packages

gracecarmo

Actually I am sure there is a Sainsbury

Let me know where you are staying and what your plans are (sites you are going to see) cos I can tell you where the supermarkets are.

I used to live behind Harrods in Knightsbridge and work in the City of London so know London very well.

Hi, Jarronwood. We will be at the Kensington Forum on Tuesday, Aug. 22, which I believe is not that far from the Victoria and Albert Museum and Harrods. I understand that there is a Sainsbury near it. Am I to understand that one can purchase liquor, wine and beer at supermarkets in England? Here, in Canda, these can only be bought in a government liquor store. I might just take some on board for drinks in the room. :D

By the way, here, in New Brunswick, a litre of vodka would be more than $40 Canadian, over 18 Br. pounds, and over $35 U.S. Add at least $10 Cnd. for pop (soda) and nuts. And these are not restaurant costs; they are store costs.

A $60 U.S. charge for a liquor package is about $67 Cnd. So in Canadian costs, the difference from local prices to the ship would be about $17. The mark-up is not as bad as I had first thought. :rolleyes:

prices in different countries and in different US states vary with the taxes charged on liquor (and cigarettes). But since the cruise line is not a government and buy their liquor duty free it seems like they are overcharging when you buy a bottle for the cabin unless it is the last day and you can carry from the DFS. I was in OZ and NZ earlier this year and a ltr of vodka was over $40 in their currencies but only $11.95 US in DFS and $20 from room service. I moved from DC with real low liquor price ie. Dewars 1.75 at $27 and Popov 1.75 under $10. Even here in FL it is only about $3 more. If they put a reasonable surcharge on DFS price I wouldn't smuggle.

I have been looking at the price to buy a bottle of gin with 6 mixers and a few nuts. $60. They are joking right? That is downright robbery. What is the mark up on that - about 500% surely.

DH is a strongbow cider man and since we cant get it anywhere outside of the UK he likes a few gins with tonic water during the course of the afternoon. At the price per bottle I am sure we will be totally broke at the end of the cruise.

:mad:

And 50% higher than last December. It is really high. NMNita

Thanks Grace - - That's a real surprise as the three other lines we've cruised sold booze that we could take to our room. It was more expensive than on shore but easier than stashing something in our luggage and the cruise line still made money on what was sold. Oh Well!

Pam

Pam,I don't know how long ago you cruise but the mass marketed lines have dicontinued allowing you to buy in the duty free shops and take back to your room even for a price. I say all, I am not sure about Carnival,but I can pretty well bet they too have chaged the policy as they are even thinking of controlling how much soda you bring on board and really are cracking down on bringing any alcohol. NMNita

Was on Celebrity in December, 2005 for our daughter's wedding. We ordered liquor packages for the cabins and at that time the price for standard, i.e.absolute, was about $48 or $50 and has now increased to $60...OK...20% increase is bad, but not intolerable.

We chose, at that time, however, to order premium packages, i.e. Grey Goose for $55 (seemed like a deal compared to standard). The price of premium, however, has now risen to $80...31% increase...now that is ridiculous!

Oh well, it's still less expensive and more convenient than purchasing by the drink in the bar. Will be sailing transatlantic on Century in October and will definitely order a few packages.

Peggy

Archived