Travel Agent changed my booking

Cholly

My paperwork shows that I booked a balcony guarantee. My TA made an unauthorized change. We have sent him an e-mail stating our displeasure that he made that without contacting us and asking when was he going to tell us. We also told him we want assurance in writing that we will recieve what we originally booked, a balcony room. I feel better knowing that even though it comes up as an oceanview room we are still in the 7A catagory. But I don't want an obstructed view. It sounds like that won't happen but the end result is that he changed my booking w/out authorization and I can't trust him.

If I booked a balcony, then I had already decided that I wanted a balcony no matter what, even at a higher price. I would not be happy with my TA for switching me to save a few bucks at the chance I would lose my balcony. Others might feel different, but then that should be part of their instructions to the TA. Regardless, without a specific instruction like this I would expect my TA to call first.

A good TA would never do this without talking with client first. I love mine and she knows exectly how to get what we want and tells us when we can't have it. I like dealing direct with my agent and not a PVP in that I feel I have a more personal relationship and can speak face to face. I just like that way of doing business.

Yep. Find a new agent and make this one right the wrong to your satisfaction.

I agree with the others that what the agent did was unethical, and possibly illegal. I know I would be PO'd in your shoes. Now, if the agent had called me first, I probably would have said "Sure, go ahead," but in this case... well, I definitely would be finding a new agent for all future vacations.

Somewhat off-topic: if you're studying for a Travel and Tourism certificate, or are a new TA, this site can provide a plethora of examples of what not to do to your clients.;)

Cholly,

You booked a BALC GTY, which starts at 8A. Your TA changed you, without permission into a 7A balcony (partially obstructed) plus $100. Bad TA. BUT, do you consider this an acceptable balcony? Some don't. Most do. Only you can decide for yourself. Look at the link I posted at the bottom of page one. If that is enough balcony for you, then you might want to stay with the booking and keep the $100, or if not, demand to go back to the 8A GTY.

Everyone else: On Spirit class ships, which Cholly is on--

5A is obstructed view, closed French doors. (Not two portholes like website says)

6A is window OV, no obstruction

7A is balcony, partial obstruction (go outside sit on chairs, point at whales, look down on the top of a lifeboat hanging next to the balcony) See link in referenced post for three or four pictures. It does not matter what the standardized-for-all-ships-website-picture shows.

8A is balcony, same as 7A except you don't have the lifeboat next to you, its down one or more decks.

Only Cholly can decide if the 7A is an acceptable balcony to him or not. Yes, the Carnival website lists this as an 'obstructed OV' cabin--if you can even find a listing. They have one picture for all ships and don't make a distinction between one class of ship to another nor do they even list a 7A in the general stateroom listing. The Carnival brochure lists it as a balcony. The reality is as described and picture linked above.

Lastly, I think the TA is an idiot and should not get anyone's business again, but more than that I don't want Cholly to be misled by well-meaning but inaccurate comments into thinking he has an oceanview room with a blocked window.

Somewhat off-topic: if you're studying for a Travel and Tourism certificate, or are a new TA, this site can provide a plethora of examples of what not to do to your clients.;)

I love it! Heck, even some so called experienced TA's could use this example of what NOT to do. I call a client before I make ANY change to their reservation EXCEPT any change that only lowers their price.

Not all good changes are acceptable. For example, I had a client on a HAL cruise. One day I found a promotion where she would get a SIX category upgrade and have her cruise price reduced by $500. I know that probably every one of you would jump at that. She refused the upgrade and the price reduction because I could not get her a cabin right across from an elevator. The best I could do was 3 doors away.

Chances are your TA is right, and you will get still get an 8A or better and save $$. However there is no 100% guarentee that will happen, even if no cabin assignments are showing for 7As. It was very irresponsible for your TA not to ask your permission to do this.

Archived